Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Nuel Ukah wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 18:00
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:06 The book consists of over 200 passages from the Old Testament from the story of creation, Abraham, Jacob and Joseph, to David and Solomon and even King Ahab. The author used a unique interpretation to expand on these passages. Did it affect how you understand the Old Testament?
What passage affected your understanding?
The book doesn't change my understanding per say, but it improved my understanding. I like that the point of this book is geared towards a positive perspective, irrespective of the characters we thought were bad, like Lucifer.
I am glad that the book improved your understanding of the Bible, and I loved the way the author geared the book toward positive perspectives irrespective of the passage.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

nicolelong_ wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 20:32 This book didn’t change my understanding of the Bible, it just deepened my understanding of it because I have read the Old Testament and could only understand some portions of it.
Many people find themselves in that exact situation; reading the Old Testament scripture and only understanding a potion of it. I'm glad the book helped in your understanding of those passages.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

essyallan7475 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 22:21 Yes it did. The book helped me find my faith again . It gave me hope
That is a positive and effective way that the book helped in your understanding of the Bible, and I am glad for you.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

essyallan7475 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 21:50 It helped understand the bible. It brought thing to a new light. Very inspiring
I'm happy that you got inspired by the book and how the author managed to bring previously known passages and scripture into a new light. Thank you for participating in the discussion.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:14 I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
I too have never read old testaments and i don't like reading religious literature much but this book can certainly be a good read to pass time.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Monishka Sharma wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 04:54
eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:14 I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
I too have never read old testaments and i don't like reading religious literature much but this book can certainly be a good read to pass time.
I'm happy that you find that this book is a good read to pass time even having never read the Bible. How easy was it to read the passages and did you learn a lot from them?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Areej Tahir wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:40 Having never read Bible, I don't think I qualify to compare the two. However, The story about Abraham and then cain and abel was very interesting to read as it was very close to my own religion.
I hope that this book brings you somewhat closer to reading the Old Testament passages, but if you enjoyed this book then you already have a better understanding of them. For me the story of Abraham has so many positive lessons from faith, belief, trust, sacrifice, and hope. Also learnt a lot from the story of Cain and Abel.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

The book helped me understand the Old Testament better. I don't agree with the author's take on the creation, however. It is important to understand the scriptures because we should be careful just accepting someone else's interpretation. We should pray for knowledge as we read.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Having read this book, I can now tell you that you have read the Old Testament of the Bible. While this book consists mainly of passages and no Proverbian text, it holds most of the major passages in the Old Testament and I hope you got a better understanding of them.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Take an example of an Ariel shot.Having a variety of views enables an individual like me to sketch a picture of what could have taken place.Such a book gives me a deeper understanding of the bible stories I have ever read hence making similarities and comparisons.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 21:59 The book helped me understand the Old Testament better. I don't agree with the author's take on the creation, however. It is important to understand the scriptures because we should be careful just accepting someone else's interpretation. We should pray for knowledge as we read.
I agree with you on how the book helped to understand the Old Testament better. I also questioned his interpretation on the story of creation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Alison Alissa wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 08:54 Take an example of an Ariel shot.Having a variety of views enables an individual like me to sketch a picture of what could have taken place.Such a book gives me a deeper understanding of the bible stories I have ever read hence making similarities and comparisons.
Your explanation is both commendable and agreeable to my views on the advantages of reading this book. I hope the crucial advantage this book hard on bettering your understanding of the Bible is shared by others.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

No because I was raised as a Christian so to me it was all basic knowledge with some speculation from the author thrown in.
grsaar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grsaar.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by grsaar »

Some parts of the Bible can be confusing. This book increased my understanding of the Bible. I've always liked the book of Genesis, especially the story of Abel and Cain.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

This book is so easy to read that I am not surprised at your comment about never having read the Old Testament. I'm glad you got to read this book and gain a betteror indepth understanding of the passages in the Old Testament.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”