Medical and scientific terminology

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Re: Medical and scientific terminology

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I didn't find the medical terminology exhaustive and, I, for the most part, was able to follow along. I also really enjoy learning new things, so I often find myself referencing the dictionary.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:49 I didn't find the medical terminology exhaustive and, I, for the most part, was able to follow along. I also really enjoy learning new things, so I often find myself referencing the dictionary.
Yes, i agree. I didn't find the terms overused and following them in terms of context was quite easy.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

There is a fine line between an author adding credibility and one who is flaunting knowledge. Often the reader feels intimidated when that line is crossed.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

diana lowery wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 10:12 There is a fine line between an author adding credibility and one who is flaunting knowledge. Often the reader feels intimidated when that line is crossed.
Definitely true, but I never felt likke that happened in the course of this book. The terminologies used had to be used to make the author's story understandable. I cannot honestly say that I would prefer it any other way.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

It shouldn't be a problem if one is already familiar with the terminologies. But it can be hard and distracting at times if one can't understand the words used. I just take them as opportunities to learn things I don't know.
-rk
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I have a background as an army medic where I worked for several years in the ER, so most of the medical terminology wasn't' a problem for me. However, I do understand how dragging it makes reading a book when terminology is used that you don't understand (or need to understand actually). Look at almost any Asimov book. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of how the technology works. Uuuggghhh! Using technical language a bit more sparingly would have helped many readers with this book.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

diana lowery wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 10:12 There is a fine line between an author adding credibility and one who is flaunting knowledge. Often the reader feels intimidated when that line is crossed.
I agree. Which one do you think the author is? At some parts for me, I know he was just giddy to share some knowledge, but it comes off a bit flaunting of knowledge.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:11
I agree. Which one do you think the author is? At some parts for me, I know he was just giddy to share some knowledge, but it comes off a bit flaunting of knowledge.
"Giddy" is such a great word, but I don't know the answer to your question.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I never thought about that! I was familiar with many of the terms due to my experience with medicine, but there were a few I had to look up to be sure. I suppose it would have been a bit frustrating if I had to look up all the definitions, it would definitely stop the flow of the novel.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think whenever an author uses specific terminology that most people aren't familiar with, a glossary or footnotes are necessary. Sometimes the terminology is related to a profession, like in this case, or to a different culture or religion, etc. The same happens for instances of words in another language. I understand that they can be necessary and the author doesn't want to interrupt the plot flow with an explanation but footnotes are a great resource for the reader.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:50
briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:11
"Giddy" is such a great word, but I don't know the answer to your question.
Well, people are "giddy" when it comes to their passion, so can't blame the author for being one. :techie-studyingbrown: It's okay :wink2:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Lunastella wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 19:43 I think whenever an author uses specific terminology that most people aren't familiar with, a glossary or footnotes are necessary. Sometimes the terminology is related to a profession, like in this case, or to a different culture or religion, etc. The same happens for instances of words in another language. I understand that they can be necessary and the author doesn't want to interrupt the plot flow with an explanation but footnotes are a great resource for the reader.
I agree, recently, I have read this book with lots of footnotes, which I am thankful for because it really helped during reading, especially because the kindle format highlights it and you have to click it so you don't have to go to the end of the book to check it. I wished the author did this.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kelyn wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:39 I have a background as an army medic where I worked for several years in the ER, so most of the medical terminology wasn't' a problem for me. However, I do understand how dragging it makes reading a book when terminology is used that you don't understand (or need to understand actually). Look at almost any Asimov book. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of how the technology works. Uuuggghhh! Using technical language a bit more sparingly would have helped many readers with this book.
Wow, my dream job is to be an army medic at some point. I, too, having enough knowledge about the medical world, didn't find the terminology exhausting. Instead, I find it quite stimulating by reading it. I agree with your frustrations about Asimov hahaha I tried reading it but end up frustrated because it's too much information all at once. :lol2: :doh:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 10:56 I never thought about that! I was familiar with many of the terms due to my experience with medicine, but there were a few I had to look up to be sure. I suppose it would have been a bit frustrating if I had to look up all the definitions, it would definitely stop the flow of the novel.
Same here, I for one liked reading it because I understood them. But I have also read some books that are not my field, it was about dark matter i think, and mostly skimmed it because I couldn't understand anything.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

briellejee wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 23:54
Kelyn wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:39 I have a background as an army medic, where I worked for several years in the ER, so most of the medical terminology wasn't' a problem for me. However, I do understand how dragging it makes reading a book when terminology is used that you don't understand (or need to understand actually). Look at almost any Asimov book. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of how the technology works. Uuuggghhh! Using technical language a bit more sparingly would have helped many readers with this book.
Wow, my dream job is to be an army medic at some point. I, too, having enough knowledge about the medical world, didn't find the terminology exhausting. Instead, I find it quite stimulating by reading it. I agree with your frustrations about Asimov hahaha I tried reading it but end up frustrated because it's too much information all at once. :lol2: :doh:
Well, it was certainly an interesting job. Working in the ER there was, to coin a phrase, never a dull moment. It can be stressful, too, though, as you might imagine. The outcomes are not always as positive as one might wish for. // I found Tolkien challenging to read as well with the copious detail that I often found unnecessary to the actual story. His storylines were so compelling though that it didn't stop me reading the way it did with Asimov.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”