How suicide is handled in this book

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: How suicide is handled in this book

Post by Leah39 »

I didn't really see this part of the book as "dark humor," although I do think he shared this part of his life in a relatable way. I think everyone can understand the frustration of being young, excited, and making a mistake. However, having an adult blatantly lie and then being physically disciplined harshly, especially on a repeated basis, can leave scars not just physically but also on a child's psyche. I especially liked how he explained his thought process and what led him to stop and rethink his decision. Rather than give in to his darker emotions, he took his frustration and channeled it towards more positive things, and used it to escape his negative situation.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

I thought that it was done well. It's a heavy topic, but not uncommon to think about in young people with hard lives. I was glad the author brought it up, and talked about it the way he did.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

deaanbeaan wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 18:44 Do you agree with how the topic of suicide was handled in this book? Personally, I thought it was fantastic and is a great example of dark humour done right. What do you think?
I like how the topic was handled. It wasn't upsetting to me. Any suicidal person who reads this book would have a rethink, a reason to live and succeed.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I think it was handled in a way that can be termed as natural, especially as it wasn't successful. The swirling thoughts running through his brain at the moment he decides he deserves better than dying at such a young age (like a silly fear of what could possibly botch up his plan so he better scrap it altogether) is peculiar to people with healthy minds.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

Suicide is a topic that must be handled with great care because failure to do so would either trigger the reader or annoy them. I think the author's handling of the matter was adequate but it could have been a little better.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I think the topic of suicide was handled in such a way that one was aware of how sensitive the issue was, him dealing with the possibility and how he felt. It evoked empathy in readers but wasn't so depressing the entire story went off the rails into melancholy. It also brought into play the title - "defining moments", and after all he went through and with how he was treated, I would have honestly been sceptical if he didn't consider it at least once.
HansonThoughts
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansonthoughts.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by HansonThoughts »

You describe it as dark humor, but that is poppycock--that is not what the author is going for. If he was morbidly selling us on the merits of suicide as if to strike a satirical tone, I would gladly give thought to that argument. But I will not at this moment.
Sana Rabbani
Currently Reading: Geraldine
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sana-rabbani.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sana Rabbani »

CambaReviewer wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 13:04 I like it when serious matters are handled in such a way that readers do not find it depressing. I liked the way this topic was handled by the author.
You are right! I myself have the same opinion about this topic. They way it has been dealt with does not make it to be disturbing for the reader.
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

briellejee wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 00:32 I don't think it was dark humor, and it didn't come off as one for me. I think it was handled properly, as it wasn't triggering to readers. But to see it as dark humor is something I don't think the book intends. It is natural for a child to think that way. Some adults do think that way as well when they attempt suicide. The author describes that he was more afraid of the waves and how he'd die if he pushes through the attempt, this makes me believe that maybe his attempt wasn't that deep enough into depression to actually take his life. I was about to open a topic about this part.
The most important part to me is that it wasn't triggering. It's a delicate topic and can lead to some pretty deep, negative feelings for people so that in itself makes me feel that yes it was handled properly.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Suicide is a very sensitive topic and shouldn't be considered as humor whether dark or light. I think it should be taken seriously.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Shivy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivy.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Shivy »

Many people handle diffcult topics with humor. Often, because they feel they are the marginalized community or that their voice isn't heard. Also because they think the topic isnt taken serious enough. Its a way for people to come to terms with a topic they dont thoroughly understand themselves. Dark humor is especially relevant in this regard, however upsetting or offputting it may seem to the onlooker. Suicide is a difficult thing for anyone to wrap their heads around. If the author has made light of it through dark humor he has brought a certain attention to the topic. I would be interested in reading this book, just to get an idea of the author's experience with this matter.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Simply put, it was respectable and I think many can admire it for that alone.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

I also feel that it was dealt in the most appropriate way after considering all the pros and cons of the self proposed action.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

deaanbeaan wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 18:44 Do you agree with how the topic of suicide was handled in this book? Personally, I thought it was fantastic and is a great example of dark humor done right. What do you think?
I love the way suicide was handled in this book.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I liked the way the author handled the issue if suicide. I wouldn't call it dark humor, on the contrary, I think he handled it with such class.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”