The Value of Education

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: The Value of Education

Post by Brenda Creech »

kwame1977 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 16:10 The author is rather stressing on the value of education and how it has transformed his life. Although he has stressed his background that is not his main motive.
I think he emphasizes his education so much partly because he had to endure so much racial discrimination while he was just trying to get educated and be able to make a better life for himself. Maybe it was an "I'll show you" attitude toward everyone who hurt him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Yes I think the author values education very much and I feel this speaks to the reader as well. Even if it’s not at a university or high education, I think it’s so important to always be learning and furthering education.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 17:30 Yes I think the author values education very much and I feel this speaks to the reader as well. Even if it’s not at a university or high education, I think it’s so important to always be learning and furthering education.
I'm glad that you mentioned that "even if it's not a university" because education is still education wherever you get it. As long as everyone is willing to learn, that is an education. Thanks for your input! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I guess the author values education so much because its not an opportunity that everyone gets. Maybe its because they know they were lucky tog et the experience and so value their success in that field.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

leiabutler wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 09:32 I guess the author values education so much because its not an opportunity that everyone gets. Maybe its because they know they were lucky tog et the experience and so value their success in that field.
I think he grew up in poverty with not many chances for a better life. He saw Education as being that gateway to a better life and he valued it so.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I'm sure his education was very important to him. Hopefully, it broadened his mind as well as gave him self-esteem and would, therefore, be a large part of his story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Abacus wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:52 I'm sure his education was very important to him. Hopefully, it broadened his mind as well as gave him self-esteem and would, therefore, be a large part of his story.
Yes , I am sure it broadened his mind by far and I doubt the author had any problem with his self esteem.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I could see how the author thinks it's important, and wants to discuss his background. Education isn't just important for people to gain information, but it also builds character and introduces you to different cultures, so you have a better understanding of other people...you can better relate to them..or at least understand them.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

i love that he focused on education because i feel the same way as him, it is a very important part of developing the kind of culture and people that will make the world a better place. i think that education does set people apart and that we need to give more people access to good education.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I think the author absolutely valued education. It seems like the author tried to stress how important education was to opening up opportunities for him. Education helps to define and progress a person, and this seems like an important message for the author.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Considering his circumstances from the childhood lifestyle, I saw the education as the exit door. His academic achievements from that time were the keys to better opportunities. Education does have the ability to propel us far away, and I felt that the author used it in his advantage.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

InStoree wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 01:12 Considering his circumstances from the childhood lifestyle, I saw the education as the exit door. His academic achievements from that time were the keys to better opportunities. Education does have the ability to propel us far away, and I felt that the author used it in his advantage.
I completely agree that education was seen...is seen as a gateway to a better life for his family, so he decided to excel with that promise in mind.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Abacus wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 13:52 I'm sure his education was very important to him. Hopefully, it broadened his mind as well as gave him self-esteem and would, therefore, be a large part of his story.
It did broaden his mind and gave him self-confidence as well as boosted up his self-esteem. It gave him more opportunities to prove himself from the bullies and to rise against the odds. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kwame1977 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 16:10 The author is rather stressing on the value of education and how it has transformed his life. Although he has stressed his background that is not his main motive.
I agree with this. His main motive was to help people and be a doctor. His education helped him to get to that goal. :techie-studyingbrown:
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I felt the book showed that there is no boundary to education. Anyone can reach heights with sheer hard work. And the respect of other people follows suit. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”