Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Post by Melissa Breen »

I really enjoy when theres subtle humour throughout books, it makes it so much easier to read and can help lighten up books with really heavy subjects
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Melissa Breen wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 12:10 I really enjoy when theres subtle humour throughout books, it makes it so much easier to read and can help lighten up books with really heavy subjects
Subjects like discrimnation, racism and others are very hard to read through in any book, but the author's unique brand of subtle humor injected a new life into the book from the start.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

Nisha Ward wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 14:56
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 05:11
Nisha Ward wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 19:55 I don't quite know how yo describe it but the author's style in general is quite humourous. Moments that should be serious in any other context, like his stories about his patients, tend to becoming amusing simply because he writes in such a personable, humourous way that you don't really notice until you're already smiling.
His style is unique and it converted this book to one of my favorites. I was always amused at how his perspective would draw a smile from me.
Not just that but he always manages to learn something from his experiences while finding the positive, adding to that distinct sense of humour that the book is imbued with. It's actually quite inspiring in that respect.
I agree
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Most the funny moments that stuck with me were the times where his character surfaced out of a largely objective, almost monotone, voice. Like I enjoyed the moment where he made up the fantastic story to appease the doctors questioning of his sex life when his groin problem brought him to the hospital. And then their was the silly scene when he becomes a citizen and says: Now I can do what all the citizen things like drugs and some other things he thought silly to be questioned about during the citizenship process. Dr. Douglas is a neat fellow.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

The author was very much humorous. The use of humour is suitable for something to laugh while reading. Laughter has a lot of medical benefits too. That of the ants is an example.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 10:27 It is humorous how things that are completely logical to the author come off as funny. His way of convincing himself from committing suicide, however logical, comes off as comedic. His observation on ants not having the same problem after he saw crabs struggling to get out of a barrel is very logical, but it comes of as unintentional and original humor.
I think this was the best part about the humour in this book. Nothing really seemed to be meant to be funny, but it came across that way because of how the author thinks.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:28 I found it kind of funny when little Frank was at the market looking at the crabs who tried and tried to get out of the baskets but could not, then he says that he is sure ants would have solved the problem. I found it such a funny comment. It absolutely makes sense, but just to even think that way, is not something I would have been able to come up with. I wonder what the difference is between ants and crabs. Are ants brains more developed? Or is it the team work? Or their ability to stick to surfaces they walk on?
I found that creatively humorous too. Ants think logically and work together in teams of different capacities.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I thought it was funny how, after making his mind up to end his life through drowning, Frank got to the jetty and started calculating just how long it would take for him to actually drown until he reasoned himself out of the act!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I love humour in stories and even though I am unable to read this book now I really want to.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

There were many places where subtle humour and soft sarcasm prevailed and that helped in making the flow in the book.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

His style was great and i really enjoyed this book.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

Actually, I don't recall finding the sense of humor you're mentioning. My impression of the book and the writer was very serious.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”