Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Dan_Wellock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 18:49 The author’s life story was definitely inspiring to me. There are very few people that would work as hard as he did in his life situation to become more and actually achieve lasting success. I think his life story is one of the greatest things about the book.
Just seeing the kind of challenges and responsibilities he had as a child and how he handled not only that but also maintained impressive acacemic excellence is very inspiring.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:06 It's inspiring anytime you see someone make lofty goals, overcome struggles, persevere, and succeed. It really goes to show you that anything is possible if you have the willpower and drive to keep moving in that direction.
I would really like to nuture that level of willpower for myself. It was very inspiring reading about the author's life and the determination and willpower he exhibited.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I am inspired by the author's determination to achieve success in life despite all the difficulties he encounters.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 03:50 I am inspired by the author's determination to achieve success in life despite all the difficulties he encounters.
It was very inspiring seeing how his determination got him through not being recognised for his academic achievments due to a discriminating principal.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

How can you not! The simple fact he carries on with things like his education whilst facing such adversity is inspiring alone. I'll take the mature and powerful way he handled unfair situations into my own life and use them to give me a positive attitude.
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

leiabutler wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 09:33 How can you not! The simple fact he carries on with things like his education whilst facing such adversity is inspiring alone. I'll take the mature and powerful way he handled unfair situations into my own life and use them to give me a positive attitude.
He did gain a lot of experience in facing hardships as a child, and that experience did not change who he essentially was as a person. That was very inspiring.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I think the fact that he wasn't scared to speak up for himself and others, to protect them, that is a very inspiring quality. it is very courageous and could motivate other people to step up also
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I admire his perseverance, courage, his sense of fairness, and his determination. I do find these qualities quite inspirational.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

InStoree wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 23:24 I admire his perseverance, courage, his sense of fairness, and his determination. I do find these qualities quite inspirational.
His sesnse of fairness made him risk his position at MIT to speak out against a wrong. That is very inspiring, especially considering the emphasis he placed on his academic journey.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Swat3737 wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 18:30 I think the fact that he wasn't scared to speak up for himself and others, to protect them, that is a very inspiring quality. it is very courageous and could motivate other people to step up also
He had mainly placed his focus on academic journey and putting that in some risk to speak out for himself and others was truly inspiring.
elizablu
Currently Reading: The Faerie Guardian
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizablu.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by elizablu »

I think the author was very inspirational. When the character failed to obtain a scholarship, he continued to push and work for his education. This is something that is very important especially in today’s age. People need to know that no matter what they face in life they can come out on top!
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

He is definitely someone to be admired. Rising above insults and barriers to education are two admirable traits that hopefully inspire others. Time and time again his tenacious attitude toward succeeding in life carried him through to real success. I find the author very inspiring!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

Kibetious wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:33
B Creech wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:02 I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
It is indeed an undeniable fact that anyone who is determined and has the will to succeed will always achieve their goal. This is what the author clearly sends out.
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html

Post by Thundershake »

:techie-studyingbrown:
Kibetious wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:33
B Creech wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 09:02 I would say very inspiring! Most people would have gotten discouraged over the discrimination the author faced but he never gave up. Just goes to show with determination and the will to succeed anyone can accomplish anything they want.
It is indeed an undeniable fact that anyone who is determined and has the will to succeed will always achieve their goal. This is what the author clearly sends out.
Yes, I agree. Usually one's resolve determines whether one achieves a hard goal or not. Those with an abundance of it will most certainly be victorious
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

The fact he had the inner strength to deal with and rise above discrimination.
amjohnson13

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”