Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Post by Ellylion »

I haven't read this book yet, but I am sure it must be just outstanding and very inspirational. A story we all need to learn about. I applaud to the author's courage and determination. There must be no place for racism anywhere.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The author is very brave. I think everyone can learn something from this.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

I don't much remember looking at this book, but I assume that it would be good. Are there any Africa-American memoirs that aren't good? And the author's name reminds me of that great, freed Black man, Frederick Douglas.
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

This book is a good inspirational novel. I think that it is an example of what determination and commitment to one's belief may bring. I like that the author shares his most vulnerable moments with us. There is nothing that I came to not like about this novel and would surely recommend it to others, as it shows that no matter the adversities one face in life you can still find a way to achieve your goals. I gave this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating for it was a delightful read.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it tackles many important topics that overall blend well in this fast-paced story. We need more books of this kind, and the way it discusses problems as racial discrimination is enlightening.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

It is very inspiring book. The plot seems very entertaining. Will love to.read.
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

I enjoyed his passion and zeal to excel in his career. The fact that he was able to balance career life and family life was admirable. I would definitely recommend to fans of memoirs.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't crazy about the author's writing style. However, I think his message is very important and very inspirational. I could see a lot of people really benefitting from this book, and it sounds from the comments as if many already have! I'm glad a true story about overcoming racial discrimination and barriers is at the forefront of this community for the month. :)
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

I started reading this book thinking I would not like it as I do not typically read this genre. As i read through the book I found myself not wanting to put the book down. It is safe to say I absolutely loved it.
The way the story was told and the faith shown through the book sold me. It was such an interesting read and I definitely recommend it 4 out of 4 stars :)
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I haven't read the book, but the description reminds me of Alan Paton's Cry, The Beloved Country. Did anyone read both and notice similarities?
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is an captivating and inspiring story for the young readers who choose self destructive path being unable to face failure.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Education is the key to success. That's what the book implies. It's just a good book for it shows the struggles one encounters in order to achieve.
M_Filomon75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-filomon75.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch weed by Zachery Wilson

Post by M_Filomon75 »

I found this novel inspiring. I have had a similar journey in life. Just different reasons. I related to the author on a personal level.
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

Still haven't got a chance to read the book. However this is something that I can relate easily.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Leah39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah39.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Leah39 »

Although I did not read the entire book, but just the excerpt, I found it interesting. Some of the things I enjoyed were the way that the author managed to stay focused despite all of the distractions and factors working against him. I love hearing about someone who has all the odds stacked against him (poverty, racism, domestic violence, etc.) but still manages to stay positive and become successful.

However, I found some of the terms confusing. There was a lot of information about his country that I wasn't familiar with, and had to look up many of the local words, such as the things he bought when he went to the market. He referred to local flora and fauna but didn't provide definitions. The spelling of his home country changed from "Guiana" to "Guyana" frequently, and although I've seen it spelled both ways, it was confusing to see it changed so frequently in just a couple of chapters. When he was discussing his process for going to college, he spent a lot of time defining the political parties and their acronyms, but then threw in USIS without defining it at all. And I found it frustrating that he misspelled one of the most common names in Israel, "Tel A Viv" which should have been Tel Aviv, despite his waxing poetic about the lure of the Holy Land.

Overall, I think the sample was interesting, but not interesting enough to make me want to read the rest of the book.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”