Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Nym182 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 22:59 Oh wow, I have those same weird breaks! I just assumed I downloaded it in the wrong format or something! It definitely is quite annoying... and sometimes paragraphs near the bottom of the page start with the title of the book, which throws me off like each time!
Several people have commented on the problems with the formatting of this book. Think I'll wait until these are resolved before reading it.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 23:23 This one is what the world still needs to hear today! It's the 21st century and Literature that uplifts the downtrodden is a necessity in the world that is dominated by one class of people.
I agree! Glad that this book came to light in this platform. I hope this book will reach everyone and inspire a lot and open the eyes of some. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

BlaqkViolette wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 05:49 I've not read this book yet, but reading everyone's comments regarding the author and also the subject matter has definitely enticed me to put it on my to read list! Although, hearing about some of the grammatical and formatting issues is a little off putting, it seems the story itself is worth dealing with all the errors.
It was hard at first to read with all the formatting going astray, but you'll get used to it. Reading the book with the errors were distracting, yes, but you'd find a way to deal with it as you read along. But I hope the author and his editor will do something about it. By then, you can read the new version. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nathan Berner wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 22:21 It reminds me of themes that are explored in Jane Elliot's grade 3 classroom. She is a very passionate anti-racism activist who not only speaks about racial discrimination in the classroom, but demonstrates it in a social experiment activity. She re-enacts Jim Crow era segregation in the classroom by the basis of eye colour. One of the major themes in the social experiment is basic empathy. The students grasp a better understanding of discrimination when they experience it first hand.
Wow, this social experiment seems to be interesting and effective. I agree that understanding is made clearer only when one experiences it. Glad to see teachers that are bringing this into their four walls and teaching children at an early age. :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 03:46
Nym182 wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 22:59 Oh wow, I have those same weird breaks! I just assumed I downloaded it in the wrong format or something! It definitely is quite annoying... and sometimes paragraphs near the bottom of the page start with the title of the book, which throws me off like each time!
Several people have commented on the problems with the formatting of this book. Think I'll wait until these are resolved before reading it.
I recommend as well in waiting. It was so distracting and frustrating to read it in the broken formatting. Hopefully, the author and his editor are working on it. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

VernaVi wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 19:42 The author, although having to deal with a certain amount of that in the era this book is written about, still included some of it in his writing style in the book. Did anyone notice he always capitalized the letter 'b' in black students but did not capitalize white, or minority students?
I didn't notice this! Thanks for pointing this out! By the level of racism he had experienced, I guess he had the right to be this, for the lack of a better word, petty. His experience possibly traumatized him and that would surely reflect in everything he does. :techie-studyingbrown:
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

The book deals with the struggles the author went through his whole life facing against problems at home, being on the wrong side of racial discrimination in the US. I really like how the author evolved through all this and kept a strong mind and faced at everything life had to throw his way. And then we see how that all out. Overall this book is inspiring in the least and very impactful on today's generation.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I am intrigued by the synopsis of this book. It sounds thought provoking, and enlightening. Congrats to the author on the positive reviews.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

What was most intriguing to me was the author’s life story. Not many people focus on the perspective of someone coming into the United States and their look on racism. His thoughts were surprise because other countries did not have the issue of racism. Also, his hard work from nothing to where he is now is inspiring. It must have been difficult growing up the way he did.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 08:06
Nivi Gideon wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 23:23 This one is what the world still needs to hear today! It's the 21st century and Literature that uplifts the downtrodden is a necessity in the world that is dominated by one class of people.
I agree! Glad that this book came to light in this platform. I hope this book will reach everyone and inspire a lot and open the eyes of some. :tiphat:
This book could be a great eye opener for a lot of people. If only it had more acclaim. It’s uplifting and kind. It can help people who are in hard situations bring new hope that things can and will get better as they strive for success.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Dan_Wellock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 18:47
briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 08:06
This book could be a great eye opener for a lot of people. If only it had more acclaim. It’s uplifting and kind. It can help people who are in hard situations bring new hope that things can and will get better as they strive for success.
Agreed. Inspiring and motivational as well for people who think they have no hope anymore. But still, acquiring the privileges of the author, like his tenacity and connections, are factors that helped him to be successful.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

When in Rome do what the Romans according to one`s ambition in my view.At times discovering the reasons for discrimination is much better,this has enabled me handle such situations since the reasons were weaknesses people had they themselves.
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

I would rate it 3 stars out of four. Racial issues and hardships have been showcased delicately but effectively throughout the writing. The story of being a student in this scenario is truly inspiring, yet in some parts the story struggled to flow together. There were certain parts where I started to lose interest. Overall its a good read.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I haven’t really enjoyed this book as much as I would have because of the many grammatical errors. I’ve been doing this one as a review and I found it very irritating to have to stop, sometimes twice on one page to notate the errors. It makes me think that it wasn’t professionally edited. I think the story has potential but the errors really distracted me.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

I really enjoyed his logical character getting upset with the illogical world. Like the moment where he told his doctor a simple truth about being a virgin with a fiancé. Yet, the doctors kept asking him about the last time he had sex, until he made up a crazy tale that satisfied them. My only dislike were in the moments that got technical, but those moments didn’t slow things down too much. I would most certainly recommend the story to others!
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”