Use of Information and Sources

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Use of Information and Sources

Post by Letora »

Sinclairess wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 13:01 After reading the book I couldn't help but to poke around the bibliography. I did not expect to find articles on the drone landing, Plan B, and the abortion pill. Did you find the articles useful? Why do you think the author chose to use these articles specifically? What articles would you use, if any?
Given that this is a work of fiction, I don't see why there is a need for a bibliography.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

I think while the addition of a bibliography is a bit superfluous, it is a nice addition to show that some of the details that may have otherwise been controversial were actually well grounded in reality.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I haven't read the book yet, but in general, it is useful, although unnecessary, for authors to include sources that they found when researching for their book. Then if a reader's interest is piqued by anything they read, they can use those sources as a starting point if they want to look into it more.
mam_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by mam_reader »

I didn't really look at these references, but, they show how much effort the writer has put in research behind the fictional events in the story.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:39 I haven't finished the novel, and I don't think it's essential to include these resources in a novel whose purpose is entertainment, but it's a very valuable asset. I talked a bit with the author and she mentioned how important women's health issues were for her, so I'm sure that's why she took the time to include such resources. They could be helpful...We don't know what each person whos reading the book is going through. Or maybe some people just want to learn more.
I agree with your sentiments that while its not necessary to include them, they are a valuable asset.I don't mind reading books where that has been added.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:39 I haven't finished the novel, and I don't think it's essential to include these resources in a novel whose purpose is entertainment, but it's a very valuable asset. I talked a bit with the author and she mentioned how important women's health issues were for her, so I'm sure that's why she took the time to include such resources. They could be helpful...We don't know what each person whos reading the book is going through. Or maybe some people just want to learn more.
I agree with your sentiments that while its not necessary to include them, they are a valuable asset.I don't mind reading books where that has been added.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Yes, I completely agree with you. It depends on the reader and what they're looking for in the book. Not everyone will bother with the resources but they're there for those who want to learn more.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I didn't bother reading anything at the end of the book. I just glanced through to see the titles of everything. I would guess the author included these things to show what she wrote about was accurate and credible. I don't think it was really necessary, though. If someone was that curious they could easily look things up themselves.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

It's a good idea to show your sources if they are reliable. It often happens to me, while I'm reading a book, to wonder if what I'm reading is true and reliable. Articles like those, perhaps, would save me the time googling them.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Sinclairess wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 13:01 After reading the book I couldn't help but to poke around the bibliography. I did not expect to find articles on the drone landing, Plan B, and the abortion pill. Did you find the articles useful? Why do you think the author chose to use these articles specifically? What articles would you use, if any?
Well, to me, those articles are helpful. People do need tips for good health, and I think the author used those articles to add some bit of useful information to her book.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

It is also my opinion that a novel is a genre that does not include references in its format. I suppose if readers were interested in some specific topic, they could approach the author to request more details about it.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

Some may appreciate the added information while others may not even bother to read it because of various reasons. But on the writer's side, I think it was thoughtful to include informative articles that may help the readers.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

I find the addition of these sources to be highly valuable, since it shows research from the author. The author didn't simply make all the elements in the story up, but instead can show where she got them from.

Also, they're quite an interesting read!
kristib44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristib44.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kristib44 »

I ended my reading on the 'Why did I leave out XX in the story?' page. I believe resources are valuable to authors, but in this case, not necessarily to readers. The pills and the drones were either used sparsely (pills) or not fully fleshed out and made to be intruiging (drones). The story didn't have enough detail to justify a research and resource page. To be honest, it felt as if that information was thrown in at the last minute to prove to readers that the author did, in fact, research what she wrote.

I think these resources would be immensely more valuable if she had USED the research in the text; except for some pat and very childlike explanations (This pill makes you not have a baby!) the resources didn't seem to be used at all, and as a reader I felt as if the writer didn't fully know how to explain what she was using in her story and defaulted to the simplest explanation that she knew how.
SA2090
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by SA2090 »

cornelia_SD wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 09:51 Some may appreciate the added information while others may not even bother to read it because of various reasons. But on the writer's side, I think it was thoughtful to include informative articles that may help the readers.
I agree. I would not have read anything additional. However, it was nice on the author's part to include the references.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”