What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Re: What do you think about the characters' naivete re technology and basic science?

Post by mmm17 »

That is a good point! I did think that the characters were overly naive on many levels. Now that you mentioned it, technology and basic science are good examples of their naiveté. I agree with you on this!
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

The book had a lot of loose ends and needed to be reviewed again for proper closure of unsure plots and removal of unnecessary ideas. There were a lot going on in the story itself and in the myriad of characters that were in it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:21
Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:32 In reading this book, I've found some very weird bits that don't make sense in a modern context. When Sky first meets Cynthia, he assumes that she doesn't know what a smart phone is and then Cynthia doesn't seem to understand basic things like sex leading to pregnancy and what Plan B is and how abortificents work. Furthermore, I've also found this with Tim, who's supposed to be this geeky, nerdy guy into computer science and technology not knowing how to hide IP addresses or how computers can connect wirelessly.

In the context of the book, neither of these things make any sense. What do you guys think? Were there other examples of this?
I agree with you about Cynthia's lack of common sense. Unless she has been living under a rock for her whole life, how can she forget that unprotected sex causes pregnancy? Even scarier, STDs! The fact that she had no idea what Plan B was confused me. Why was her character made to be so clueless?
This was confusing to me as well. I don't know if the author wanted cluelessness to be a flaw in her character or if he genuinely believes some women don't know how pregnancy happens.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

mmm17 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 10:21 That is a good point! I did think that the characters were overly naive on many levels. Now that you mentioned it, technology and basic science are good examples of their naiveté. I agree with you on this!
Thanks for answering
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 11:09
Nisha Ward wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 16:32 In reading this book, I've found some very weird bits that don't make sense in a modern context. When Sky first meets Cynthia, he assumes that she doesn't know what a smart phone is and then Cynthia doesn't seem to understand basic things like sex leading to pregnancy and what Plan B is and how abortificents work. Furthermore, I've also found this with Tim, who's supposed to be this geeky, nerdy guy into computer science and technology not knowing how to hide IP addresses or how computers can connect wirelessly.

In the context of the book, neither of these things make any sense. What do you guys think? Were there other examples of this?
I agree with you about Cynthia's lack of common sense. Unless she has been living under a rock for her whole life, how can she forget that unprotected sex causes pregnancy? Even scarier, STDs! The fact that she had no idea what Plan B was confused me. Why was her character made to be so clueless?
This was confusing to me as well. I don't know if the author wanted cluelessness to be a flaw in her character or if he genuinely believes some women don't know how pregnancy happens.
I think the author was using it as a teaching moment for the audience because she has a supplemental about it in the back of the book, but it fell flat because it really didn't work in the context in which it was written.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Being the Head of Security for a Senator in Washington DC who is raging a cyber war on terrorists. The whole premise of this book, yet such superficial characters that coupled with a lack of more intricate details concerning that war other than basic code breaking, not very realistic.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Dragonsend wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 20:46 Being the Head of Security for a Senator in Washington DC who is raging a cyber war on terrorists. The whole premise of this book, yet such superficial characters that coupled with a lack of more intricate details concerning that war other than basic code breaking, not very realistic.
Definitely. There were a lot of ways to go with the cyber stuff but code breaking and hacking were all we were shown and not much of it either.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I agree with you both. I think even people living under the rock these days know that unprotected sex result in pregnancy. :D
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

briellejee wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 04:33 I agree with you about Cynthia's character being clueless in most things. Surely, a woman of her "intelligence" (considering she's part of the cyberwar plan), knows that babies don't come out just because. I guess these plotholes were overlooked. But then again, this being bordered on technological aspects, have no excuse for that, because, I mean, duh? It is such an obvious flaw.
Yeah. The fact that she is clueless about a baby but smart about being part of a cyber war raises some questions.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Nisha Ward wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 07:51
Dragonsend wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 20:46 Being the Head of Security for a Senator in Washington DC who is raging a cyber war on terrorists. The whole premise of this book, yet such superficial characters that coupled with a lack of more intricate details concerning that war other than basic code breaking, not very realistic.
Definitely. There were a lot of ways to go with the cyber stuff but code breaking and hacking were all we were shown and not much of it either.
All in all, I believe the book could have used someone to go through it and hammer out the details of some of these plot elements.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I agree with you. In our modern society, this is not natural that a girl doesn't know about pregnancy and things like that. A computer genius should know every detail about the computer and internet. I found that a little odd.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I'm glad you pointed this out, as it was my least favorite aspect of this book. To be honest, I couldn't finish the book because Cynthia just drove me crazy. I felt like the book was a little anti-feminist to show her as being so lacking.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

briellejee wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 04:33 I agree with you about Cynthia's character being clueless in most things. Surely, a woman of her "intelligence" (considering she's part of the cyberwar plan), knows that babies don't come out just because. I guess these plotholes were overlooked. But then again, this being bordered on technological aspects, have no excuse for that, because, I mean, duh? It is such an obvious flaw.
I agree. Some plotholes can be overlooked, but this part just doesn't make any sense, and her naiveté can easily be perceived as unbelievable instead of whatever the purpose the author had in mind...
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:43
I agree. Some plotholes can be overlooked, but this part just doesn't make any sense, and her naiveté can easily be perceived as unbelievable instead of whatever the purpose the author had in mind...
And to think that her naiveté doesn't suit her job is something I find frustrating. :roll2:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

aolayide wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 15:48
Yeah. The fact that she is clueless about a baby but smart about being part of a cyber war raises some questions.
It is infuriating whenever I remember this. This is definitely some poor writing of one's characters. Tsk.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”