What changes you would make in the book, if you were the author?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Re: What changes you would make in the book, if you were the author?

Post by kwame1977 »

I dont think I have anything to change about the book. Although there were series of flashbacks it did not affected me in anyway. I really enjoyed every part of the book. This is a good work done by the author.
hancocktara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hancocktara.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by hancocktara »

An interesting question. As many have said, I found Sky quite creepy at first. Telling her what to do and how to behave, writing letters to her. In fact I thought it totally unbelievable that Cynthia would actually entertain Sky and his ideas. For me, I would have preferred to see them, rather than having a one night stand, meet numerous times over a longer period of time. It seemed too rushed for them to suddenly be in love after the strangeness of their first meeting.

I also found that some parts of the book were very speech heavy with very little description. It was easy to follow who was speaking but at times it was difficult to imagine the tone or atmosphere of the conversation.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

hancocktara wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 09:37 An interesting question. As many have said, I found Sky quite creepy at first. Telling her what to do and how to behave, writing letters to her. In fact I thought it totally unbelievable that Cynthia would actually entertain Sky and his ideas. For me, I would have preferred to see them, rather than having a one night stand, meet numerous times over a longer period of time. It seemed too rushed for them to suddenly be in love after the strangeness of their first meeting.

I also found that some parts of the book were very speech heavy with very little description. It was easy to follow who was speaking but at times it was difficult to imagine the tone or atmosphere of the conversation.
Thant's an interesting change. Would you keep the adultery aspect of it or remove that as well?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

hancocktara wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 09:37 An interesting question. As many have said, I found Sky quite creepy at first. Telling her what to do and how to behave, writing letters to her. In fact I thought it totally unbelievable that Cynthia would actually entertain Sky and his ideas. For me, I would have preferred to see them, rather than having a one night stand, meet numerous times over a longer period of time. It seemed too rushed for them to suddenly be in love after the strangeness of their first meeting.

I like this idea as it seems more realistic. I listen to this book on audio so I don't know about writing in the book but the narrator did a good job with it. I liked his performance the best.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
hancocktara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hancocktara.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by hancocktara »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 13:52

Thant's an interesting change. Would you keep the adultery aspect of it or remove that as well?
I think I would, although I would put it later in the story. If the characters were explored further it might make more sense. For example, the author could go into greater detail why Cynthia and Dan's relationship has fizzled out, and how Sky and Cynthia's relationship developed. Greater development before them having sex would, for me, make the dynamic between Sky and Cynthia more believable when compared to them falling in love following a quick, and somewhat creepy, first encounter.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I would edit a lot of the dialogue. It seemed very cheesy a lot of the time. I would also rethink my characters, and try to develop them with more consistency.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

hancocktara wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 05:49
Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 13:52

I think I would, although I would put it later in the story. If the characters were explored further it might make more sense. For example, the author could go into greater detail why Cynthia and Dan's relationship has fizzled out, and how Sky and Cynthia's relationship developed. Greater development before them having sex would, for me, make the dynamic between Sky and Cynthia more believable when compared to them falling in love following a quick, and somewhat creepy, first encounter.
I'm still not sold on adultery being the way, but this is a more acceptable way to go about it, since it would actually earn the reader's sympathy for Cynthia.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I agree with you. Flashbacks can be helpful in telling a character's backstory if done right. However, I don't think an author should rely on them too much. There's always better ways of showing the reader a character's backstory. Flashbacks tell more than they show.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Jo689 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:17 I was actually thinking about this:

I thought the book was alright, unlike most. However, even though I didn't think it was bad, there were a lot of things I would have changed in the book, say if I was the author. The main things that I would change in this book is 1) add a backstory, or flashback of the events that happened in the previous books and 2) Make Cynthia a much more smarter character lol.
I agree. It would have been nice to add a scene in the beginning between Cynthia and Dan to justify the immediate attraction she felt toward Sky. I also would have added a scene between Cynthia and Sky in the end before the wedding.

I definitely would have made Cynthia more solid. I thought she was wishy-washy. If I didn't know better, I would have thought she was two people. :eusa-think:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Mely918 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 19:20 I agree with you. Flashbacks can be helpful in telling a character's backstory if done right. However, I don't think an author should rely on them too much. There's always better ways of showing the reader a character's backstory. Flashbacks tell more than they show.
I agree. But then again I am not a huge fan of flashbacks in writing in general.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 23:49

I thought the book was alright, unlike most. However, even though I didn't think it was bad, there were a lot of things I would have changed in the book, say if I was the author. The main things that I would change in this book is 1) add a backstory, or flashback of the events that happened in the previous books and 2) Make Cynthia a much more smarter character lol.
I agree. It would have been nice to add a scene in the beginning between Cynthia and Dan to justify the immediate attraction she felt toward Sky. I also would have added a scene between Cynthia and Sky in the end before the wedding.

I definitely would have made Cynthia more solid. I thought she was wishy-washy. If I didn't know better, I would have thought she was two people. :eusa-think:
That's definitely something that's been noted across the board in the discussions about the book. Making Cynthia more solid would definitely improve the book a lot.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 11:49
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 23:49

That's definitely something that's been noted across the board in the discussions about the book. Making Cynthia more solid would definitely improve the book a lot.
I feel that all three of them Dan, Sky, and Cynthia need to undergo a huge transformation for me to care about this book.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I would make this book (and other installments in the series) stand on its own. This includes tying up plots in each one and making the main characters understandable and relatable- without having to read the prior book.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 12:53 Well, I really didn't like the book so where should I start with the changes? I mean this is a big question. Probably would make Cynthia a bit stronger and smarter as a leading character and Sky less of a mr.know it all and creep.
I agree with wanting Cynthia to be stronger and smarter! I always want the leads to be the hero or heroine of their own story, it's frustrating to me when they keep stumbling and making poor decisions.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

KCWolf wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 17:07 For starters, character development--especially Cynthia. The character descriptions were a little bit annoying and childish too. There are words to use to describe the loveliness of a character without using expressions like "her cute bottom" or "luscious lips."
I agree with you. Descriptions like these make the book appear as if the target group are teenagers and young adults, not serious mature readers.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”