Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
s_writing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Re: Who was your favorite character?

Post by s_writing »

My favorite character is Sky Eastman. He is so secretive and mysterious. Sometimes he comes across as a bit needy but he's still my favorite. He kept me interested in the book for sure!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 03:08
Dragonsend wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 17:51
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 04:22

Did you choose her based on the emotional situation leading to her entrance?
I chose her even though her part was small because when the situation arose and Mike called her in ,she took charge. There were three other woman and a man I that scene but she was the one who acted like she was supposed to. I think it was one of the smoothest part of the books that wasn't written from that immature perceptive.
Yes, she was one of the most smoothly written entrances written in the book and a great choice for a favourite character.
Gotta agree with this. Juliette's perspective was just right for her character and flowed so smoothly compared to the rest. Gotta wonder if it's because the author has much more experience with her than with Cynthia.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

s_writing wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 16:00 My favorite character is Sky Eastman. He is so secretive and mysterious. Sometimes he comes across as a bit needy but he's still my favorite. He kept me interested in the book for sure!
That is definitely a first on the Sky selection.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 23:27
s_writing wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 16:00 My favorite character is Sky Eastman. He is so secretive and mysterious. Sometimes he comes across as a bit needy but he's still my favorite. He kept me interested in the book for sure!
That is definitely a first on the Sky selection.
I did not like him, but that's just me. I appreciate that you left a comment, thanks.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 17:37
Dragonsend wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 17:51

I chose her even though her part was small because when the situation arose and Mike called her in ,she took charge. There were three other woman and a man I that scene but she was the one who acted like she was supposed to. I think it was one of the smoothest part of the books that wasn't written from that immature perceptive.
Yes, she was one of the most smoothly written entrances written in the book and a great choice for a favourite character.
Gotta agree with this. Juliette's perspective was just right for her character and flowed so smoothly compared to the rest. Gotta wonder if it's because the author has much more experience with her than with Cynthia.
Could be, or the author lacked any sort of pressure constructing this character and as such, his writing of her went smoothly.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

This is a completely new selection. Based on what other readers select, I can say its ususally the nerd squad, Glenn or Cynthia.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:19
Could be, or the author lacked any sort of pressure constructing this character and as such, his writing of her went smoothly.
I mean, yeah, but that then begs the question of why the author wrote the others that way then.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:39
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:19

I mean, yeah, but that then begs the question of why the author wrote the others that way then.
The pressures for a successful book and characters.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

Honestly, I would say Cynthia was my favorite because although she messed up, she still added a lot of depth to the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 04:35 Honestly, I would say Cynthia was my favorite because although she messed up, she still added a lot of depth to the story.
True, as the protagonist, the entire plot is based around her, who she meets and the interactions.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
I have to agree, the nerd squad was the best part of the book. Tim, Garth, and Glenn made the story bearable to read. If it were not for this part of the book, I'm not sure I would have been able to finish it. I thought that Cynthia, Dan, and Sky were far too under developed and not very believable.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 07:42
cecemi_ wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 04:35 Honestly, I would say Cynthia was my favorite because although she messed up, she still added a lot of depth to the story.
True, as the protagonist, the entire plot is based around her, who she meets and the interactions.
:tiphat: definitely
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 07:54
DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
I have to agree, the nerd squad was the best part of the book. Tim, Garth, and Glenn made the story bearable to read. If it were not for this part of the book, I'm not sure I would have been able to finish it. I thought that Cynthia, Dan, and Sky were far too under developed and not very believable.
I completley agree with your assessment of Cynthia, Dan, and Sky. The nerd squad is the best selection for favourite characters, in my opinion.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Saffron wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 08:24
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 07:42
:tiphat: definitely
Thanks for participating in this discussion and for taking the time to leave a comment.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Dragonsend wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 20:36 Juliette was my favorite ,she only played a small part but was right on top of things when Cynthia had her miscarriage.
In this topic, your Juliette selection stands out the most, and if there was an award for selections, you'd have definitely won it.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”