What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Post Reply
Dikay127
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Apr 2019, 21:46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Dikay127 » 12 Jun 2019, 21:10

I didn't mind Sky as much as others clearly did. The way he pops up and is introduced in the book was a bit odd but it was obvious he was going to be a main character. I will agree that his sickly sweetness was a bit much but I do like how he ends up tying in with the cyber nerds and how everything comes together at the end. Though I thought the proposal after one "date" was completely unrealistic.

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 13 Jun 2019, 00:25

Dikay127 wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 21:10
I didn't mind Sky as much as others clearly did. The way he pops up and is introduced in the book was a bit odd but it was obvious he was going to be a main character. I will agree that his sickly sweetness was a bit much but I do like how he ends up tying in with the cyber nerds and how everything comes together at the end. Though I thought the proposal after one "date" was completely unrealistic.
I don't know that I 'minded' him so much as thinking he was just odd. And I agree, much of what he did in relation to Cynthia was unrealistic. Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 1171
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 17 Jun 2019, 13:49

Kelyn wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 23:38
DC Brown wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:29
I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
IloveSpain01 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:39
When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
I thought about the spy angle at first, until he took her back to his apartment and she, like a naive little girl, agreed to go. After that, I was just waiting for him to put GHB(sp?) in her drink. I appreciate you both stopping by and commenting!
I mean, Cynthia getting so dizzy off of one ounce of rum was really suspicious to me, particularly when you consider that she doesn't get like that when she drinks wine later.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 18 Jun 2019, 06:06

Nisha Ward wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 13:49
Kelyn wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 23:38
DC Brown wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:29
I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
IloveSpain01 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:39
When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
I thought about the spy angle at first, until he took her back to his apartment and she, like a naive little girl, agreed to go. After that, I was just waiting for him to put GHB(sp?) in her drink. I appreciate you both stopping by and commenting!
I mean, Cynthia getting so dizzy off of one ounce of rum was really suspicious to me, particularly when you consider that she doesn't get like that when she drinks wine later.
Suspicious indeed! Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
LinaMueller
Posts: 242
Joined: 09 Jun 2019, 13:22
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » 21 Jun 2019, 12:43

Kelyn wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:52
Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem in a character changing his personality in a specific book. People may have personality and behavior changes in real life. But I don't know if the writer did a good job because I didn't read the book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

User avatar
Adedayo+23
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 13:39
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: The Unwilling Recruit (A John Hunt Novel - 2nd Edition) by John Evans

Post by Adedayo+23 » 21 Jun 2019, 13:09

I don't think Sky's character was well written. The author trying to make him into everyone's personal hero just wasn't realistic.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 1171
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 21 Jun 2019, 18:40

LinaMueller wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 12:43
Kelyn wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:52
Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem in a character changing his personality in a specific book. People may have personality and behavior changes in real life. But I don't know if the writer did a good job because I didn't read the book.
I don't think the problem was that the changes occurred in the first place, but rather that they were poorly done, made no sense and were never really explained in the book. It's not just Sky either, but a lot of the characters.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
LV2R
Posts: 852
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 22:28
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: 365 Blessings to Heal Myself and the World
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by LV2R » 21 Jun 2019, 22:43

I was very alarmed that Sky was up to no good when he invited her to his apartment and gave her an alcoholic drink without asking her. I found it very odd and weird that he would buy and give Cynthia all kinds of things for birth control and a pregnancy test kit without asking or discussing anything about it with her first. I thought Sky seemed more normal when he stayed away from Cynthia and wrote letters to her. I think the secrecy and mystery of Sky's life made it seem like Cynthia could be in danger.

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 21 Jun 2019, 23:38

LinaMueller wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 12:43
Kelyn wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:52
Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I don't see any problem in a character changing his personality in a specific book. People may have personality and behavior changes in real life. But I don't know if the writer did a good job because I didn't read the book.
True enough, but the way the author wrote it just didn't make it seem believable. He did things that just didn't make sense and were out of character for any relatively normal modern male. I appreciate you stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 21 Jun 2019, 23:39

Adedayo+23 wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 13:09
I don't think Sky's character was well written. The author trying to make him into everyone's personal hero just wasn't realistic.
I didn't think it was realistic either. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 21 Jun 2019, 23:43

LV2R wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 22:43
I was very alarmed that Sky was up to no good when he invited her to his apartment and gave her an alcoholic drink without asking her. I found it very odd and weird that he would buy and give Cynthia all kinds of things for birth control and a pregnancy test kit without asking or discussing anything about it with her first. I thought Sky seemed more normal when he stayed away from Cynthia and wrote letters to her. I think the secrecy and mystery of Sky's life made it seem like Cynthia could be in danger.
Yes, it did but I'm not at all certain that's what the author intended. I do think she tried too hard to make him something for everyone and kind of ended up making his character very disjointed instead. And weird is a very good descriptor for Sky. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

User avatar
aolayide
Posts: 312
Joined: 24 Jan 2019, 08:36
Currently Reading: Coached to Greatness
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by aolayide » 22 Jun 2019, 15:51

cpru68 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 02:05
I didn’t like his character at all. First, the way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird. And she goes to his apartment with him. I kept thinking of a vampire when I read the description of him at first. Like he was going to take advantage of her and dump her. Then it was the long syrupy letters. Needless to say, I thought he was odd, and her falling head over heels for him was even weirder.
You are right but I think sometimes, everything happens for a reason.

User avatar
diana lowery
Posts: 279
Joined: 11 Feb 2019, 07:39
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Reckoning
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery » 23 Jun 2019, 07:26

Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?

User avatar
iced_sunshine
Posts: 87
Joined: 26 May 2019, 08:55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by iced_sunshine » 23 Jun 2019, 10:16

No one is just one thing. Humans are incredibly complex and most of us are self-contradictory without knowing it. But I think the author took Sky's character a step too far. Some of the changes his character made were too OOC for me to believe and even as I write this, I realise I can't really say his character made OOC moves if I didn't really know his character. It's a mystery really.

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 797
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 23 Jun 2019, 14:41

diana lowery wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 07:26
Perhaps the author was trying to make a character foil to Dan, but failed. It would explain why Cynthia switched over so rapidly. She did mention that there was no vibrant rush of romance with Dan, and there was with Sky. Also, did anyone find the "confessional" scene a bit off?
Hmm...I hadn't thought about the character foil possibility. That's an interesting take on it! As far as the confessional scene, yes. But then quite a bit was a little 'off' to me in this book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”