What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by MsH2k »

I did not like or trust Sky’s character at all. From the moment he was introduced, I was suspicious of him. He was too calm in the midst of a chaotic situation. I thought he was a terrorist. I’m still not sure that he isn’t. He was manipulative and much too rich for a military officer. What’s the source of his additional income?! :eusa-think: His apartment was set up perfectly for encounters such as he and Cynthia had, so I was quite surprised that he went to confession and actually tried to do what the priest said. This was not believable at all. Instead of being a complex and interesting character, he was just a collage of personalities and totally unconvincing. This made me question Cynthia’s judgment and it made her less credible as well.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Sky seemed to have some hidden agenda and came off as the suave, lecherous type that gave you chills, and not the good kind. It takes a little skill to craft love interests as 'perfect' or what passes for it anyway. Every reader has different tastes, so that is to be taken into account. The author was going overboard, though, so that's why the majority of us don't favour Sky.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 14:03 I didn't think his character was consistent either. He was overly sweet with her and really tough on Glenn. I didn't buy it.
MsH2k wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 15:50 I did not like or trust Sky’s character at all. From the moment he was introduced, I was suspicious of him. He was too calm in the midst of a chaotic situation. I thought he was a terrorist. I’m still not sure that he isn’t. He was manipulative and much too rich for a military officer. What’s the source of his additional income?! :eusa-think: His apartment was set up perfectly for encounters such as he and Cynthia had, so I was quite surprised that he went to confession and actually tried to do what the priest said. This was not believable at all. Instead of being a complex and interesting character, he was just a collage of personalities and totally unconvincing. This made me question Cynthia’s judgment and it made her less credible as well.
Felicity Granger wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:43 Sky seemed to have some hidden agenda and came off as the suave, lecherous type that gave you chills, and not the good kind. It takes a little skill to craft love interests as 'perfect' or what passes for it anyway. Every reader has different tastes, so that is to be taken into account. The author was going overboard, though, so that's why the majority of us don't favour Sky.
I was suspicious of the setup of his apartment as well and kept expecting GHB to be slipped into her drink at any moment. He was supposed to come off as suave and sophisticated and ended up just being creepy and stalkerish. Having been in the military, I also had to wonder where all this money was coming from. Independently wealthy, maybe? Then why would he go into the military in the first place? Nothing seemed to add up with him. I agree that the author went a little nuts trying to make Sky appeal to every reader. It just didn't work. Thank you all for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

If I say I liked the Scyler character I will be lying. First, how he appeared into Cynthia's life was just wired. One can't tell who he was exactly because at one moment he acted as a nice sweet gentleman, the next minute he acts as a stalker no wonder at some point Cynthia suspected that he was a spy using her to get to the governor.
Books are beautiful.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Bles wrote: 23 Nov 2019, 04:24 If I say I liked the Scyler character I will be lying. First, how he appeared into Cynthia's life was just wired. One can't tell who he was exactly because at one moment he acted as a nice sweet gentleman, the next minute he acts as a stalker no wonder at some point Cynthia suspected that he was a spy using her to get to the governor.
I completely agree. It was impossible to predict, moment to moment, 'which' Skyler you were going to find yourself with. Not a great basis for a relationship. I think Cynthia should have followed her instincts on this one. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I desliked Sky. All he wanted in the beginning was to have sex with Cynthia. Why couldn't he respect the fact that she was taken at that time. He even added rum to her drink. It was creepy like he wanted her to get drunk. He was kind of obsessed with Cynthia. If he accepts cheating I don't know about his morals. I felt as if he was emotionally manipulative towards Cynthia when he brought those contraceptives to her. It was creepy.
Mukoan M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukoan-m.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Mukoan M »

Maybe I am the crazy one however I really liked Sky. He gave Cynthia's boring romantic life some drama. His character from the onset was interesting for me as I was suspicious thinking he might be a serial killer, he was creepy and all that. I wouldnt say he was manipulative however I would say he had split personality behaviour.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

His character was definitely creepy. His confession at the church and his actions in his apartment didn't match at all.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I totally agree, I think the author wanted him to be the hero so badly that he ust became a creepy character. Also modern ideas on gender roles would have been appreciated in the plot lol.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I totally disliked anything that had to do with sky. He came into a Lady's life strangely without any respect for her boyfriend you slept with her tried to justified it then went for confession. So so funny. That guy had nothing to do with being a gentleman.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Didn't like much about him tho.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Sky character kept me in suspense due to his unpredictable nature. He somewhat made me keep reading this book.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Sky's character was full of flaws and didn't suit his personality. The characters in this book was poorly developed. The author should have done better.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I like th way you put out your thoughts, it was exactly what I was thinking.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I found him creepy. I think he just played different characters when needed and was never really himself. I feel sad for Cynthia.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”