What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Allyseria »

I felt like the author tried to put too many types of personalities into him. It didn't feel consistent at all. I just feel that any character should have a consistent personality and even it changed, it better be explained in a completely plausible way.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

He made me so uncomfortable from the moment he appeared. I thought for sure he was a terrorist or a vampire or something. Then we meet Major and I immediately thought of an old man with a buzz cut who never takes off his camo. Suddenly we realize that Major and Sky are the same person and it was so weird for me I hated it.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Allyseria wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 09:58 I felt like the author tried to put too many types of personalities into him. It didn't feel consistent at all. I just feel that any character should have a consistent personality and even it changed, it better be explained in a completely plausible way.
I know! All of us have different facets to our personality, but Sky's seemed to change time after time for no discernible reason! He didn't have various aspects; he had completely different personalities! It was maddening! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

pshaw1414 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 13:40 He made me so uncomfortable from the moment he appeared. I thought for sure he was a terrorist or a vampire or something. Then we meet Major and I immediately thought of an old man with a buzz cut who never takes off his camo. Suddenly we realize that Major and Sky are the same person and it was so weird for me I hated it.
I had a hard time believing that they were the same person too. The personalities described had me picturing two very different men as well!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

pshaw1414 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 13:40 He made me so uncomfortable from the moment he appeared. I thought for sure he was a terrorist or a vampire or something. Then we meet Major and I immediately thought of an old man with a buzz cut who never takes off his camo. Suddenly we realize that Major and Sky are the same person and it was so weird for me I hated it.
I agree. It was odd trying to reconcile the two descriptions into the same person. Talk about cognitive dissonance! I can't stand it when the conception I have of a character in my head is so far off from the author's description that it makes picturing the character at all very difficult. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 08:15
I had a hard time believing that they were the same person too. The personalities described had me picturing two very different men as well!
Totally. It was so odd.
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

I don't think that anyone failed to catch Sky's weird behavior. the worst bits, for me, were for one how invasive he was toward Cynthia from the very beginning. the scene that made my skin crawl and my eyes roll the worst was when they were at the diner, and she was taking a drink of her water. all the attention stopped and zoomed in on her lips, and he literally stared at her until she stopped drinking. WHO would endure that and not dump the drink on him? if she weren't so complacent, how far south would this go?
Spoiler for the end of the book - I actually did not expect E.J. to be Sky just because he seemed so wildly different when he wasn't speaking to his love interest. like, i found myself thinking, "this guy is actually kind of endearing," and i saw a tad of character development with how he came to like the nerds. when Cynthia arrived in the room with him? i wanted to leave. his dialogue immediately went back to sapville. his poor autonomy was crushed by the appearance of A Woman.

plus can i just mention: does anybody think that Dan and Sky sounded almost EXACTLY the same in some bits of dialogue?
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

teddyj wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 00:19 I don't think that anyone failed to catch Sky's weird behavior. the worst bits, for me, were for one how invasive he was toward Cynthia from the very beginning. the scene that made my skin crawl and my eyes roll the worst was when they were at the diner, and she was taking a drink of her water. all the attention stopped and zoomed in on her lips, and he literally stared at her until she stopped drinking. WHO would endure that and not dump the drink on him? if she weren't so complacent, how far south would this go?
Spoiler for the end of the book - I actually did not expect E.J. to be Sky just because he seemed so wildly different when he wasn't speaking to his love interest. like, i found myself thinking, "this guy is actually kind of endearing," and i saw a tad of character development with how he came to like the nerds. when Cynthia arrived in the room with him? i wanted to leave. his dialogue immediately went back to sapville. his poor autonomy was crushed by the appearance of A Woman.

plus can i just mention: does anybody think that Dan and Sky sounded almost EXACTLY the same in some bits of dialogue?
I would have been examining my drink to see if there was something floating in it that I hadn't seen. I mean, who would even consider that the other person was staring at your lips behind the glass?!?! One of my concerns with Cynthia was her complacency/submissiveness. I was worried as to exactly how far "south" she would LET him go! And he certainly seemed willing to push plenty of limits!!

That was one of my points! Every 'part' he played was so wildly different from his 'other' personalities. Some were kind of likable but others were absolutely impossible to stand. As for the two sounding alike, that's not something I had noticed. Now I have to go back and look! :lol2:
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

His character is like a diffferent types of men put together in one. creepy, gentleman, sugar-sweet, overbearing and epitome of every good and bad character available.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

shravsi wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 11:41 His character is like a different types of men put together in one. creepy, gentleman, sugar-sweet, overbearing and epitome of every good and bad character available.
That seems to be the consensus from many on this thread, including myself. Just picturing that sentence as an actual person gives me the creeps! The author wanted him to be everything for everyone, and I guess, in a way, she succeeded, just not in a good way. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Well if he becomes a reality , he is definitely someone who has a mental disorder that is one step away on becoming something scary and horrible-like idk Psychopathy? And Im not buying Cynthia's character either.Both of them are unbelievable and the guy hopefully stay unreal.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Its hard to understand an individual unless one applies diligence. Sky arrived in Cynthia`s life while she was in a relationship with Dan.Cynthia spends limited time with Sky because she is hiding her relationship with Sky from Dan.This would be the emotional circle in which I see Sky.There is fear,bias,distrust,hate and love.That gives one limited know on how to act .
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kristine29 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 01:24 Well if he becomes a reality , he is definitely someone who has a mental disorder that is one step away on becoming something scary and horrible-like idk Psychopathy? And Im not buying Cynthia's character either.Both of them are unbelievable and the guy hopefully stay unreal.
I don't think I would want to meet Sky either. Creepy has become my standard descriptor for him. Hmmm...I do have to wonder how he would be diagnosed, though. I don't think I'd mind meeting Cynthia. Sure, she seemed to be a bit of a pushover as far as Sky went, but she didn't seem to be a bad sort. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

^_^ no problem! Thank you too
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I didn't think his character was consistent either. He was overly sweet with her and really tough on Glenn. I didn't buy it.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”