Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

To be honest I stopped reading it halfway through. Cynthia's character was annoying! How is she supposed to be an "intelligent" character and not be aware of basic technological trends that even kids from the poorest slums in India know about! And some parts honestly felt like they're a fanfiction of another original book. This wasn't the book for me. :(
A ship may be safe in the harbour, but that's not what ships are meant for.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

OK. I know I have only read the review for this book. However, I am not too enthusiastic about reading the whole book. I don't think I will enjoy it. I will pass.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

The book cover really needs to be changed and no one I know, would like the plotline. I feel guilty criticizing any story because someone put their time and effort into writing it. Sadly without a little polish this one won't go far.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

The most I liked in this novel is the suspense part. Also, technological warfare to curb ISIS activities seems interesting. I liked least the romance part of this book. I didn't like Cynthia's simultaneous romance with two men. I think the book cover would have been more professional to suit the content.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

It doesn't seem like a story that I would be interested in reading. I will pass on reading the book.
Czolly23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czolly23.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by Czolly23 »

I have not read the book, but from what I have read of reviews, this book doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy. It seems like Sky is unlikeable, and that overall the storyline is a bit boring.
Caitlin_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlin.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Caitlin_ »

I wasn't a fan of the book. It was all over the place and unenjoyable.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I am reading the book but after reading the reviews here I am not motivated enough to finish it. The book may suit for young.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

According to the review by Rence_Prior 1995 the story deserves a 3 of 4 stars.A plot that has twists and turns is always interesting because even-though we are in the know still,we remain ignorant or blind or deaf for that matter with inclusion of moral lessons and traits.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I'm afraid I didn't get much beyond the first few chapters... and I think the cover may have negatively influenced my expectations as well. Does anyone else feel bad when they are down on books, if they themselves are not writers? Sometimes that is my reaction, and sometimes I think, "Hmm, well if this is good enough for someone to put it out there, maybe I should be trying also..."
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 03:37 I read the sample and felt no desire to read any more. For me, this felt like a book aimed at teenagers. I understand from reading other comments that the book contains content more suitable for adults in places. That being the case, it sounds as if the author hasn't really worked out the target audience for this book.
Wow. I now feel I should read the book to see how bad it is.
Gathoni1991
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

ChainsawCat wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 12:30 I'm afraid I didn't get much beyond the first few chapters... and I think the cover may have negatively influenced my expectations as well. Does anyone else feel bad when they are down on books, if they themselves are not writers? Sometimes that is my reaction, and sometimes I think, "Hmm, well if this is good enough for someone to put it out there, maybe I should be trying also..."
Sad. Was the book really that bad? Asking for me.
Gathoni1991

Post by Gathoni1991 »

shravsi wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 11:09 I am reading the book but after reading the reviews here I am not motivated enough to finish it. The book may suit for young.
Yea the reviews here will make you not open a page on that book. Sad. The author should pull up their socks.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

maggi3 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 00:15 I didn't really like the book. The issue with the drones was interesting, but the love story aspect kind of ruined it for me. It was a clear case of insta-love, and I found Sky's character to be very cliche. He's another perfect, mysterious love interest who always knows exactly what Cynthia needs. I also thought the title was a bit misleading because, although Dan has a significant role in the book, it isn't about him and Cynthia, but Cynthia and Sky. It also felt a bit like the author was trying to justify cheating in certain parts, which I disliked. I liked the twist at the end, but I saw it coming. I also appreciated the addition of further information for taking Plan B One-Step at the end of the book. Overall, I would not recommend this book. It might appeal to some, but it wasn't for me.
Right off the bat ma'am. There's a lot of book like this right now, same old characters , same old plot line. It's cliche ,annoying and boring and sorry but I just can't stand books like this.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 12:52 OK. I know I have only read the review for this book. However, I am not too enthusiastic about reading the whole book. I don't think I will enjoy it. I will pass.
Yeah I second your motion. It will just be a waste and very unproductive for me to read this kind of books.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”