Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Joseph_oladele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Joseph_oladele »

To me, Cynthia did not sideline Dan. Take a look, how would Dan be dating her for good three years without any plan of marriage, that is not love but lust. As we all know that long exception waxes cold women's heart, that made her bumps into the mysterious sky Eastman. This is lesson for all men and even women. This is nice one from Dorothy May Mercer. I rate Dorothy May 3.5 out of 4 stars.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Overall I would have to rate this book a 2 out of 4, I hesitate to call it bad as I did find myself engaged at several points in the book, I thought the revelation of Dan was rather predictable because the author wanted to ensure the reader felt like Cynthia made the right choice. Also, I feel like the story had quite a lot going on, that often times narratives didn't feel carefully woven together, instead they were just kind of spluttered together. I also did note quite a number of grammatical errors of the book, which did not help the book seem polished in my opinion
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 06:12 From what I have read of this book, I do not really like it or feel a connection to the characters. I think bringing down terrorists on it's own would be a a great storyline, but I do not like this relationship between Dan and Sky. There is something very off-putting about Sky. He quite condescending towards Cynthia. At this point, I would give the book 2 stars.
I completely agree with you about the Sky. Sky was introduced and written with an air of mystery about him,and I don't think Mercer did a good job breaking down this mystery, choosing instead to break down the mystery in favor of making him a suitable love interest. But because this change happened so suddenly, I felt like he was just putting up an act and he has completely different intentions
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I'm not particularly interested in this book as a whole. I began reading it and Sky's mysterious appeal never really moved me at all, so I don't feel I'll be finishing it.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I really liked this book ive just finished reading it. I rated it 4 out of 4.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Gaby+LysMom2KB
Currently Reading: Sink Reflections
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaby-lysmom2kb.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Gaby+LysMom2KB »

I've read some of the book, Cynthia and Dan: Cyber Wars, and thought it was getting a little interesting. Sky did seem like a mysterious character, and not sure what his intentions actually were. I don't think I could give a decent rating, not having read enough. It's not my favorite genre.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

I would possibly read the book in my free time mostly the part where the war was at it's peak. Very mind blowing mostly bringing down the bad guys.
Jo689
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jo689 »

I feel like a minority because I did like the book to some extent. The plot and dialogue was actually interesting because it personally helped me look deep into internet warfare. The book weaves itself into a series of events that happens and has forced me to ask a lot of questions. For example, what are Cynthia's intentions with her brother? And who is this mystery person she has been seeing? It's interesting to me to see this all unravel.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

Gaby+LysMom2KB wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 19:25 I've read some of the book, Cynthia and Dan: Cyber Wars, and thought it was getting a little interesting. Sky did seem like a mysterious character, and not sure what his intentions actually were. I don't think I could give a decent rating, not having read enough. It's not my favorite genre.
I agree, sky was very mysterious but I did feel like she made the right choice at the end.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Sounds like an intriguing novel that involves a female lead taking down terrorism along with her brother! These are the kind of books I look forward to. Would love to give it a read!
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

This book is definitely not one of my favorite books of all time. The romance aspect of it was super unoriginal and ruined it for me. I'm normally a fan of romance with my action and drama books but Cynthia and Sky were annoying. Their instantaneous love was not believable and I couldn't get into their storyline. I did like the cyber war portion with Glenn and team. That part kept me going until the end. I also felt like it ended abruptly. Maybe if the characters were a bit more developed, I would have liked it better. I probably won't recommend this book due to the cheesy romance plotline.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It had an interesting beginning with many loop holes and an disappointing end. The covers doesn't justify the story nor does it increases the interest of the reader. Cynthia being a private investigator should have been projected as a strong female. But here she has no control over herself when she meets Sky. She is not in her logical mind. The end feels incomplete and could have been more dramatic.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

So I am 30% into reading it (listening) and all I am wondering is why this is a book of the month? I would not recommend it and I have read many books in this genre. I am doing an audio version of the book btw. And as someone who bought it, I feel all kinds of ways and none of them good. Cover and title are very misleading. Cynthia is very immature and I can't figure out how old is she. So Sky is what should be a hero in this story?! Well, all I get is very creepy vibes. And I can't stress enough how that part with unprotected sex and him lecturing her about plan b annoyed me. Well, I will finish it, for now waiting for the cyber war part.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 12:21 Overall I would have to rate this book a 2 out of 4, I hesitate to call it bad as I did find myself engaged at several points in the book, I thought the revelation of Dan was rather predictable because the author wanted to ensure the reader felt like Cynthia made the right choice. Also, I feel like the story had quite a lot going on, that often times narratives didn't feel carefully woven together, instead they were just kind of spluttered together. I also did note quite a number of grammatical errors of the book, which did not help the book seem polished in my opinion
Even though I am still not finished with the book I do agree with you, even this early on I feel like the author manipulates story a certain way but telling and not showing. I am very confused about some of her choices.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

Unfortunately, I was not a fan of this book. What I liked most was the concept of cyberwar. I was looking forward to reading an action-packed thriller focused on this concept. However, instead of being a focal point in the book, I felt this idea was put on the back burner.

There was a lot about this book that I didn’t like. I did not connect with any of the characters, in the slightest. I found myself greatly disliking most of the characters. For instance, I really didn’t like Cynthia, Dan, or Sky. These characters had very little (if any) character development, felt forced and appeared cliche. Other characters such as “the geeks’ or her brother left me feeling apathetic. In addition to the characters, I felt the book did not have a concrete direction; instead, the book seemed torn between subplots. As a result, the book felt a little anticlimactic and left me, as a reader, feeling unsatisfied, and almost incredulous. The flow of the book was very choppy. The extra subheadings increased the disruption of the flow as opposed to assisting with the organization. At times, I felt I was reading segments of a story, instead of whole, complete ideas. Finally, I find the title of the book peculiar. "Cythnia and Dan: Cyberwar" is a misleading title for me. Ultimately, I gave this book a rating of 2 out of 4. It wasn’t horrible, but it’s definitely not something I would recommend.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”