Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Her character didn't make sense to me.
She claims to be in love with Dan. She even has it on her liscense plate. When it seems that her brother is trying to say something bad about Dan, she defends Dan fiercely and gets so mad at her brother that she almost leaves the room. Nevertheless, when she meets sky, she cheets on Dan without any hesitation and doesn't really seem to regret it. She has a little "OMG What have I done?" moment, but when Sky calls, she is so happy to hear him and eager to meet him again, and the way they talk about Dan isn't nice at all. This raises the question whether Dan has any importance to her, let alone whether she loves him. However, when Dan breaks up with her, she screams and sobs hysterically, even though just a minute ago she didn't seem to care about their relationship at all. At this point you would expect her to feel bad about Sky, but no, Sky calls and again she is so happy to hear him and so warm towards him. I just couldn't understand what was going on.
And another thing that didn't make sense to me was: how did she take it so easy that Sky knew where she lives? This could alert any woman, and given Cynthia's proffession, it is even more strange how she wasn't troubled by it at all. These are just a few examples of the many contradictions and inconsistancies about Cynthia's character, and these are just the few first chapters.
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

The problem with Cynthia is that we never get to see her doing anything realistic because the circumstances in which the author gets her are not realistic. She creates this super-team from scratch and makes it all seem way to easy. The entire environment the book creates looks more like a Marvel comic than real life and thus the character falls also into that. To deal with cartoonish happenings you must do cartoonish actions :P
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I totally agree with the comments that Cynthia was intended to be highly intelligent and a body guard of sorts, yet she put herself in very dangerous situations. She came across as flighty and shallow. I could not connect with her at all throughout the story.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 12:36 I loved flawed characters, I really do, but for some reason, I just could not bring myself to like Cynthia's character, yes she did win some of my sympathy towards the middle and the end of the book, but still, I did not like or empathize with her character. I believe my reasons for this were: (1) When she had cheated on Dan there was no hint f a sour relationship and, she did not express much regret for cheating or even pity the man she claimed to love (I mean she even says she loves him on her license plate :lol: ) after cheating on him and (2) she is often framed in a way that puts her in the moral high ground and I think this kind of framing along with her flaws didn't do her character any favours. So I was wondering do you share a similar opinion on Cynthia or do you have a completely different one?
I felt the same! Cynthia was to be portrayed as a strong female but at times she was really immature. Having unprotected sex with a total stranger she met was unbelievable. Also her conversations were cheesy. I hated her cheating on Danand getting angry with him when he got angry because of this. I mean wasn't it her fault after all! She did not understand Dan's condition but fell for a rich man and there connection was mainly sexual.
CoolReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coolreads.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by CoolReads »

I had difficulty digesting the part about Cynthia being head of security for a Senator, could so easily be enamoured by a stranger, and falls into bed with him after the first meeting. If her womanly instinct did not signal an alarm, her training as security should have kicked in. In my opinion, the Cynthia in this book was a mess. I liked her better in E-M-P Honeymoon, though she appears as a secondary character.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I agree with you. The cheating part made me uneasy. But Sky and Cynthia's justification was even more uncomfortable. The author didn't establish Cynthia's character traits. They kept on changing throughout the story. There is nothing wrong with having a flawed character as a protagonist; it actually makes the story interesting. However, having an incompetent protagonist who changes according to the author's whims was frustrating to read.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

Totally agreed. That whole part about justifying cheating after she and Dan had been together at some level for 3 years was really off putting.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 12:36 I loved flawed characters, I really do, but for some reason, I just could not bring myself to like Cynthia's character, yes she did win some of my sympathy towards the middle and the end of the book, but still, I did not like or empathize with her character. I believe my reasons for this were: (1) When she had cheated on Dan there was no hint f a sour relationship and, she did not express much regret for cheating or even pity the man she claimed to love (I mean she even says she loves him on her license plate :lol: ) after cheating on him and (2) she is often framed in a way that puts her in the moral high ground and I think this kind of framing along with her flaws didn't do her character any favours. So I was wondering do you share a similar opinion on Cynthia or do you have a completely different one?
These are exactly my thought and observation. Her character was poorly developed. I disliked Cynthia from the beginning although I felt pity for Dan for having something to do with Cynthia who lacked common sense.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I don't know how to describe Cynthia. She was very unstable. Her relationship and work life were very strange and difficult to relate to.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I do not like Cynthia character, she acted so childish and insensitive for my likening.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Cynthia's character is a bit double standard. She goes to extreme measures to keep her boss safe but lacks security when it comes to her personal life. I would run for the hills if someone has known me for only 24 hours and somehow gained access to all my personal information. Other then that I like her character in the book, she is a tough independent woman who make things happen.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Though I enjoyed the fact she wasn't perfect, I still disliked alot about her. She was weird in every aspect except the political aspect.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

After I saw the title of this book, and the way the author describe Cynthia's potential. I expected her to be a strict and principled person. But she was just a weakening. Cynthia 's character was not well developed.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I expect better on her romance aspect yielding so easily to Sky as a professional expert to me was absurd and could jeopardize her work. But at least she wasn't a perfect charter in the aspect of romance.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Cynthia as a character seemed very unrealistic to me. Being at the post that she is, no one would go into a stranger's house in real life.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”