Truth or Fable?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
godreaujea
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Truth or Fable?

Post by godreaujea » 29 May 2019, 07:15

I believe that with religion, the truth is in the eye of the beholder. By that I mean it can be interpreted in so many ways that there isn’t just one answer. If you want to believe something is true, you can find evidence to support your claim. However I think people must be open to hearing other interpretations as well.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 29 May 2019, 13:30

godreaujea wrote:
29 May 2019, 07:15
I believe that with religion, the truth is in the eye of the beholder. By that I mean it can be interpreted in so many ways that there isn’t just one answer. If you want to believe something is true, you can find evidence to support your claim. However I think people must be open to hearing other interpretations as well.
Very, very true. I couldn't have put it better myself! Thanks so much for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Nicole_Boyd
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Nicole_Boyd » 29 May 2019, 16:16

I believe that Judas was the betrayer as the Bible says he was. This book didn’t change my mind at all. I believe the Bible is the infallible Word of God. The “gospel of Judas” has so much missing from it, I don’t know how the author thinks this can be “proof” of Judas becoming the next master after Jesus.

jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc » 29 May 2019, 23:01

Kelyn wrote:
29 May 2019, 01:14
JPalomares wrote:
27 May 2019, 22:26
Something we tend to forget is that the Bible was once a 'living' collection of documents. These documents were written by human hands and were subject to the changing fortunes and dispositions of the peoples they served. 'Peoples', I say, because there was, for a goodly while, a pair of Hebrew kingdoms, each with their own take and each with their own contributions. (The Golden Bull story, for example, may well be an attack on specific worship practices of the northern kingdom, Israel.)
Precisely!!! Soooo many people don't even want to look at that much less admit it! Humans are fallible! We have no way of knowing if what they wrote "came from God" or if it was a result of what they and their people were going through and/or their own opinions about things - such as other worship practices. It's entirely possible that they fully believed it came straight from God. But (and I believe the point has already been made somewhere in this forum) believing something and writing it down, doesn't automatically make it true. Why wouldn't this be as true of those documents the Rabbi's decided were biblical as those they did not?
This period gave us Genesis 1 - a document patterned on the Babylonian genesis story, the Enuma Elish - and, very probably, the story of the great flood.
I've never actually seen the Enuma Elish before so I went and looked it up. Those are some really...volatile...gods. Not exactly the view of perfection. But some of this was actually accepted as canon? Wouldn't that be a bit heretical?
The answer is that any translation worth the paper its printed on isn't a translation of a translation. No serious, ethical scholar would translate, for example, an English Bible into Italian for just the reason you stated. We have better sources.
Yet I have absolutely no doubt that there are any number of Bibles (and other religious texts) floating around out there and being accepted as authentic which have been translated in exactly this way with the general public none the wiser. And how are they/we expected to be able to tell the difference?
True - my point here is that the author keeps telling us that his tradition is older than mainline Christianity. The earliest Gospel we have is Mark's, which was, itself, key in the creation of the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. If the Gnostics have a Gospel older than Mark's, then they have a shot at establishing their religion as older than Christianity. Maybe I'm just picking nits, but it irks me how much he asserts without data to back it up.
Admittedly, this doesn't equal an entire gospel, but just going from a memory I have from one of my religion classes, can't some elements of Gnosticism actually be traced back as far as Plato? That's certainly pre-Christian.
Much of the vocabulary used by Coptics was derived from the neo platonists and ultimately Back to Plato. Also many ideas were taken from the tradition of Jewish mysticism also older than Christianity and from the mystery religions of the mediterranean also older, however its the mixture of all of these influences that dates Gnosticism to the mid second century, Some works like the Gospel of Thomas could be as early as mid first century. But there is some debate on whether it predates christianity but in any case the coptic gospels by definition dont predate christianity.

Browlyns
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns » 30 May 2019, 03:00

There's nothing true here. The author is obviously a non Christian trying to debunk the traditional story. In my Christian belief the bible is and will always be correct.

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 270
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: On Jail: The Essays by David Lawrence

Post by Anthony__ » 31 May 2019, 14:54

Nothing convinces me about the book. I guess this is a sensitive topic to write us as it is very biased. Although, the author did his research but I don't think it is right.

Innae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innae.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Innae » 01 Jun 2019, 12:22

Hmmm...I didn't really get a "hero" feel for Judas as much as a "not as evil as everyone thinks" feel. One thing I feel I have to ask though, many who are reading the book are not Christian, so how can they be being 'swayed'? Perspective is huge with this book. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your opinion with us!
[/quote]

Hmmmm... You don't need to be christian to know the contrast between the bible and this book. The world sees Judas as a traitor so this is definitely tests a widely shared belief. Christian or not you may be phased by the conspiracy. Thanks for replying!

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Indifferent Stars by Peter Traynor

Post by Laura Bach » 01 Jun 2019, 14:32

The author did his homework properly. However, I am not easily convinced and especially not by one book. If more people support this idea, than I might be interested, but I can think about as only fiction for now.

Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal » 01 Jun 2019, 15:24

godreaujea wrote:
29 May 2019, 07:15
My goal in writing Misreading Judas was to bring as much factual evidence as possible. It is textual analysis, mostly. The Path is One. All description is just dancing around the real Way. It is in truth beyond words, literally.

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn » 01 Jun 2019, 19:01

Anthony__ wrote:
31 May 2019, 14:54
Nothing convinces me about the book. I guess this is a sensitive topic to write us as it is very biased. Although, the author did his research but I don't think it is right.
It seems many agree with you and yes, the author does seem somewhat biased away from Christianity. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn » 01 Jun 2019, 19:08

Laura Bach wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 14:32
The author did his homework properly. However, I am not easily convinced and especially not by one book. If more people support this idea, than I might be interested, but I can think about as only fiction for now.
Good point! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wyland » 03 Jun 2019, 03:10

The book does not portray an accurate picture of the purpose of Christ's mission to save mankind. It's selfish driven and with an agenda to do away with the divinity of Christ.

Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Beatus » 03 Jun 2019, 05:21

You are the truth. As a person you have to just be. What would have changed about/inside you if this book is truth/lie? If you want to be a better listener/ employee/father/preacher/person and this book is helping then good. If its the opposite...you know what to do.

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn » 03 Jun 2019, 16:10

Wyland wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 03:10
The book does not portray an accurate picture of the purpose of Christ's mission to save mankind. It's selfish driven and with an agenda to do away with the divinity of Christ.
He did seem somewhat biased away from Christianity, admittedly. Thanks for your thoughts!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn » 03 Jun 2019, 16:17

Beatus wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 05:21
What would have changed about/inside you if this book is truth/lie?
I did find it to be an interesting theory, but did it change me? No. I took it with a grain of salt from the beginning.
If its the opposite...you know what to do.
The first thought that popped into my head was "burn it?" but that was just my sassy brain being facetious. I think having an open mind is a wonderful thing, so reading about and considering alternate theories (as long as you don't just go jump on every single bandwagon) can be not just interesting but, yes, helpful. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”