Analyzing: What verse in this book would you challenge or defend?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Analyzing: What verse in this book would you challenge or defend?

Post by maritzaalston »

In reading this book there were specific verses that the author identified that were inverted. Opposite of what I have learned, contradicting and attempting to put doubt in what they have taught me. Keeping all this in mind I will further analyze the verses the author provided and entertain and challenge his theory. Therefore, I am asking what verse in this book stands out the most for you and what about it do you know makes the most impact and influence you to stand by your belief. The following is an example but not the final determiner for me.

Using New King James Version, Mathew 26:39, The Prayer in the Garden,
He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed saying, “Oh My Father, if it is possible,
let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless not as I will, but as You will.”

Using the Kindle Version of Misreading Judas, Mathew 26:39, Page 35
“Let this cup pass from me.”
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

maritzaalston wrote: 11 May 2019, 10:03 In reading this book there were specific verses that the author identified that were inverted. Opposite of what I have learned, contradicting and attempting to put doubt in what they have taught me. Keeping all this in mind I will further analyze the verses the author provided and entertain and challenge his theory. Therefore, I am asking what verse in this book stands out the most for you and what about it do you know makes the most impact and influence you to stand by your belief. The following is an example but not the final determiner for me.

He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed saying, “Oh My Father, if it is possible,

The parallel verses in one source don't all invert the matching verse in the other. Some are like this one, with key word matches at relatively the same point in the story. Some are identical in wording, sense, and location, like, "The flesh is weak." Some are polar opposites, like the gnostic spiritual 'kiss.' But with all these similarities in sense, or sense inversion, and in the same relative position in the story cannot be coincidence. The only question is which feeds into the other. The key verses are the kiss, "stripped and rising naked," and "Hail, BROTHER !" The first two are spiritual metaphors made into physical events that seem unlikely. (Kissing a well known man to identify him? Running away naked?) The other is a change that only makes sense accommodating the late virgin-birth theology of the proto-orthodoxy: "Hail, MASTER!"

The early Church wanted to hide that there was a successor, James. It worked. What happened to the James of history, well known leader of the Assembly, more known than Jesus in historical accounts?
He became 'Judas' and 'Stephen' (Acts 7) among others - even Jesus himself. All this elaborate and unlikely fiction was intended to discredit the heir to the Assembly leadership and clear the way for the false teaching of the Spouter of Lying, Paul (see Dr. Robert Eisenman).
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Cloudless Love by Robert Carrick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I have not yet read the book, but I appreciate the fact that your past teachings were challenged and that you are willing to give this new interpretation consideration. Based on the verse that you mentioned, I would have to say it looks like taking away the context changes the meaning entirely.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

My husband has recently started reading the bible. He's pointed out quite a few biblical quotes that are taken out of context. Matthew 5 is one that stands out in my mind. Any sentence in that section could be taken out of context and misconstrued to make a different point.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

bb587 wrote: 13 May 2019, 19:36 My husband has recently started reading the bible. He's pointed out quite a few biblical quotes that are taken out of context. Matthew 5 is one that stands out in my mind. Any sentence in that section could be taken out of context and misconstrued to make a different point.
Interpretation of this verse drives me a little nuts seeing that everyone is free to their own understanding of it. :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 14 May 2019, 04:35
bb587 wrote: 13 May 2019, 19:36 My husband has recently started reading the bible. He's pointed out quite a few biblical quotes that are taken out of context. Matthew 5 is one that stands out in my mind. Any sentence in that section could be taken out of context and misconstrued to make a different point.
Interpretation of this verse drives me a little nuts seeing that everyone is free to their own understanding of it. :tiphat:
I agree. That verse has been thoroughly nit-picked, and it obviously gets taken out of context.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 14 May 2019, 04:35 Interpretation of this verse drives me a little nuts seeing that everyone is free to their own understanding of it. :tiphat:
You're kind of missing the point. If you pick one line, such as 5:43 and ignore 5:44, then you would be getting the wrong message.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

It sounds like this book has an interesting way of interpreting scripture. I can see how both passages mentioned in this thread can be taken out of context when only partially discussed. I think I would find this book very frustrating to read.
peace starts with a smile...
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

"He has raised his heel against me." His version would literally say He has raised Jacob against me. He then says no that meant James, then goes on to say no that's Judas. So the discrepancies in translation here are truly a stretch!! That was truly a head scratcher for me. And many places where it says that Jesus was talking about James. Or Judas. When it clearly says he Jesus. Just for clarity heel and Jacob have similar meanings.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

"He has raised his heel against me." His version would literally say He has raised Jacob against me. He then says no that meant James, then goes on to say no that's Judas. So the discrepancies in translation here are truly a stretch!! That was truly a head scratcher for me. And many places where it says that Jesus was talking about James. Or Judas. When it clearly says he Jesus. Just for clarity heel and Jacob have similar meanings. It's so confusing I can barely write coherently about it!!! :D
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

The 'cup' verse is not me interpreting it at all. I was just pointing out similarity of phrasing between gnostic and canon verses. It is to show parity of the two stories, that is all. I was not trying to give new meaning to any. Those lines don't show inversion, but many key lines do, like the kiss and "Hail, Brother!" (Second Apocalypse of James). Even if there was no inversion, the gnostic origin of the Betrayal is apparent. There is a reason it is so. The orthodoxy was trying TO HIDE James.

John 13:18 is a huge verse in the whole analysis. I go into it in nearly a full chapter in my first book, The Bible Says Saviors - Obadiah 1:21. I don't have time or inclination to go over it all again here. Yes, Dragonsend, 'Yacov' and heel share word roots. This is a key verse in seeing that the Betrayal is about JAMES. Dr. Robert Eisenman is the first to show a relation between James and Judas. READ HIS WORK! There is no finer mind at work on ANYTHING than Dr. Eisenman. He is the smartest person I ever met.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Dragonsend wrote: 14 May 2019, 16:37 "He has raised his heel against me." His version would literally say He has raised Jacob against me. He then says no that meant James, then goes on to say no that's Judas. So the discrepancies in translation here are truly a stretch!! That was truly a head scratcher for me. And many places where it says that Jesus was talking about James. Or Judas. When it clearly says he Jesus. Just for clarity heel and Jacob have similar meanings. It's so confusing I can barely write coherently about it!!! :D
You should try reading Dr. Robert Eisenman. He spends about 20 pages just on the confusion around names of disciples and brothers.
Heel and Jacob -Yacov - James all have the same root: 'aqeb' -- Hebrew for heel. I think john chose this Tanak reverent to make a conscious play on Judas as James. Eisenman wrote a 1,000 page book on the minimization of James in the Gospels and Acts. James the Brother of Jesus is the greatest literary achievement of the Twentieth Century.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Dragonsend wrote: 14 May 2019, 16:37 "He has raised his heel against me." His version would literally say He has raised Jacob against me. He then says no that meant James, then goes on to say no that's Judas. So the discrepancies in translation here are truly a stretch!! That was truly a head scratcher for me. And many places where it says that Jesus was talking about James. Or Judas. When it clearly says he Jesus. Just for clarity heel and Jacob have similar meanings. It's so confusing I can barely write coherently about it!!! :D
referent
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

maritzaalston wrote: 11 May 2019, 10:03 In reading this book there were specific verses that the author identified that were inverted. Opposite of what I have learned, contradicting and attempting to put doubt in what they have taught me. Keeping all this in mind I will further analyze the verses the author provided and entertain and challenge his theory. Therefore, I am asking what verse in this book stands out the most for you and what about it do you know makes the most impact and influence you to stand by your belief. The following is an example but not the final determiner for me.

Such an alteration changes everything in the scriptures and distorts what really was said. I have also not read the book and hence my contribution will be limited. However, the fact that any major word changes or taking scripture out of context changes its meaning entirely cannot be ignored.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

:tiphat:
Kibetious wrote: 16 May 2019, 04:24

Such an alteration changes everything in the scriptures and distorts what really was said. I have also not read the book and hence my contribution will be limited. However, the fact that any major word changes or taking scripture out of context changes its meaning entirely cannot be ignored.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”