What is your opinion on the author using the apocrypha?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: What is your opinion on the author using the apocrypha?

Post by mariana90 »

Practically his whole thesis is based on it, so it's only natural he relies heavily on it. Whatever the reader believes of the veracity of the text, it is clear the author puts his trust on it.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

mariana90 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 21:06 Practically his whole thesis is based on it, so it's only natural he relies heavily on it. Whatever the reader believes of the veracity of the text, it is clear the author puts his trust on it.
Read Dr. Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus. This will level the playing field.

https://www.amazon.com/Historicity-Jesu ... 268&sr=1-1
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

A G Darr wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:44 I didn't have a problem with the author using apocrypha. There are a lot of books left out of the Bible. It is hard to say which books were left out because they are false and which were left out because they did not align with the Church's agenda. That is not to say I totally believe the "Gospel of Judas" is a true gospel, but I also do not completely discredit it.
Yes, there have been many things left out or ignored by the Church, but at the same time, that does not give it creditability. I guess it's something that everyone just has to judge for themselves.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Sahansdal wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 15:01
mariana90 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 21:06 Practically his whole thesis is based on it, so it's only natural he relies heavily on it. Whatever the reader believes of the veracity of the text, it is clear the author puts his trust on it.
Read Dr. Richard Carrier On the Historicity of Jesus. This will level the playing field.

Seems interesting, thanks for the recommendation!

To be clear though, I'm not putting into question the veracity of the apocrypha, I don't know enough to have an informed opinion about it.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

mariana90 wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:55
Sahansdal wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 15:01

Seems interesting, thanks for the recommendation!

To be clear though, I'm not putting into question the veracity of the apocrypha, I don't know enough to have an informed opinion about it.
You don't need to know anything about religion, apocrypha, ancient texts, mysticism, my beliefs, others beliefs, or any comparative religion to do just what I did. It is a simple comparison of the ancient texts and what they say about each other.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I think he chose the Gospel of Judas and went into it in detail to prove his point. As previous posters have pointed out, there are several books that were not included in the Bible. If he went into details about some of the other books, the book would have been very long. If you research some of the other books found in Egypt, there are videos explaining them. I felt the need to do this after reading this book.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:04 I think he chose the Gospel of Judas and went into it in detail to prove his point. As previous posters have pointed out, there are several books that were not included in the Bible. If he went into details about some of the other books, the book would have been very long. If you research some of the other books found in Egypt, there are videos explaining them. I felt the need to do this after reading this book.
Just as important as what I found in the Nag Hammadi/Al Minya gnostic collection is what Dr. Robert Eisenman found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. I met him. He is the smartest person I ever met, judging from what he has written. Talk about books that make you think! He still awes me years since I finished reading everything he has written, twice! I even read his poetry. The man is brilliant, and very modest, given how he has been treated by other, so-called, scholars. http://roberteisenman.com/

http://www.amazon.com/James-Brother-Jes ... pd_sim_b_2

Paul is the Essene "Spouter of Lying" and James, not Jesus, the "Righteous Teacher." Where, oh where, is 'Jesus'? This was an orthodox coverup. Nearly all the characters in the Gospels are fictional. Read Carrier. I am looking at his chapter on Jairus' daughter and the water miracles, sourced in the O. T.
"On the Historicity of Jesus" by Dr. Richard Carrier.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Sahansdal wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:22
Kansas City Teacher wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:04 I think he chose the Gospel of Judas and went into it in detail to prove his point. As previous posters have pointed out, there are several books that were not included in the Bible. If he went into details about some of the other books, the book would have been very long. If you research some of the other books found in Egypt, there are videos explaining them. I felt the need to do this after reading this book.
Just as important as what I found in the Nag Hammadi/Al Minya gnostic collection is what Dr. Robert Eisenman found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. I met him. He is the smartest person I ever met, judging from what he has written. Talk about books that make you think! He still awes me years since I finished reading everything he has written, twice! I even read his poetry. The man is brilliant, and very modest, given how he has been treated by other, so-called, scholars. http://roberteisenman.com/

Paul is the Essene "Spouter of Lying" and James, not Jesus, the "Righteous Teacher." Where, oh where, is 'Jesus'? This was an orthodox coverup. Nearly all the characters in the Gospels are fictional. Read Carrier. I am looking at his chapter on Jairus' daughter and the water miracles, sourced in the O. T.
Thank you for the information. Dr. Eisenman does sound very accomplished and smart. His interview was one of the documentaries I watched.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:38
Sahansdal wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:22

Thank you for the information. Dr. Eisenman does sound very accomplished and smart. His interview was one of the documentaries I watched.
Even if one is not religious I have found that one can learn how to think from him, how to analyze and make sense of difficult or obscure writings. It is absolutely fascinating, I think! I learned how to compare texts from him. I always have and still do wonder why he himself never investigated the "Betrayal" more thoroughly. The Apocalypses are obviously related.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I think if you see religious texts as the Holy word of God, then I can see why you feel he relies on this too much. The gospel of Judas is not accepted in the same way as other texts in religious circles. However, if you see all religious texts from a more historical approach then I see no reason why he can't rely on the Gospel of Judas.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Heatholt wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 19:53 I think if you see religious texts as the Holy word of God, then I can see why you feel he relies on this too much. The gospel of Judas is not accepted in the same way as other texts in religious circles. However, if you see all religious texts from a more historical approach then I see no reason why he can't rely on the Gospel of Judas.
It depends on what religious circles you mean. I am a Satsangi with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas. It has probably two million members now. That's a 'circle' and a big one. Recent Masters and their disciples wrote several books analyzing the mysticism of the New and Old Testaments. They taught me. >
https://www.amazon.com/Mystic-Bible-Ran ... stic+bible
http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/product_p/en-057-0.htm
http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/product_p/en-056-0.htm
https://www.scribd.com/doc/30321660/Jul ... he-Masters
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Since the apocrypha is not a canonical scripture, I don't trust its source. Therefore it seems to be biased to me
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

ayomie wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 17:14 Since the apocrypha is not a canonical scripture, I don't trust its source. Therefore it seems to be biased to me
What is it about the canon that makes it trustworthy? -the author
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Sushan wrote: 08 May 2019, 09:59 Putting more weight to a single source seems unfair in this sort of an encounter. Yet, it is considered as apocrypha because it is thrown away from the bible and we do not know whether it was a sincere action or some covert move
agreed!
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Areej Tahir wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 09:07
Sushan wrote: 08 May 2019, 09:59 Putting more weight to a single source seems unfair in this sort of an encounter. Yet, it is considered as apocrypha because it is thrown away from the bible and we do not know whether it was a sincere action or some covert move
agreed!
Yes, we do know. I show why the gnostic Nag Hammadi/Al Minya (Gospel of Judas) texts were the original writings. The Bible is derived and false. It only takes simple comparing, and a little basic logic. I take the reader through the few necessary steps very carefully and patiently. Sorry to those who missed the idea.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”