The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: The author's inspiration.

Post by Bhaskins »

sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
I really appreciate this perspective. Being able to see the good in people is necessary and I agree that if you believe the bible, then this destiny would be God's will.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Bhaskins wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:45
sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
I really appreciate this perspective. Being able to see the good in people is necessary and I agree that if you believe the bible, then this destiny would be God's will.
Bhaskins,
But there was no Judas. The truth is much more interesting than the myth. Masters are by nature creatures of the moment (John 14:7), and they bring Life, not their death (Mark 10:45). They must be living, not formerly living in this world. That means that everyone desiring salvation can avail themselves of the wonderful opportunity of seeing, in real time, the Son of God (like it says one must in John 6:40), wherever and whenever He/She incarnates. Isn't that more sensible than somebody being said to have died as a sacrifice for sin?
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Michgal 32 wrote: 03 May 2019, 03:42 What do you think could be the author's inspiration in writing this book?
The author is a gnostic presenting an alternative view of the Judas story, one that subverts the traditional understanding and presents something totally different. :techie-studyingbrown:
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:26 I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.
I always felt bad for Judas; he was only fulfilling prophecy. He had no choice in the matter, but his name has become synonymous with traitor. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 19:02
Michgal 32 wrote: 03 May 2019, 03:42 What do you think could be the author's inspiration in writing this book?
The author is a gnostic presenting an alternative view of the Judas story, one that subverts the traditional understanding and presents something totally different. :techie-studyingbrown:
*i* am not "presenting it. I am discussing what the GNOSTICS presented. It was the original narrative of mastership sucession, The orthodoxy turned it upside down with the New Testament Gospel inversion.
Aftab Yunis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The fourth Dimension
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aftab-yunis-hakim.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Aftab Yunis »

I believe this is not a job of one writer, rather a group of people are behind this approach. So, what happens in this scenario: it starts with one conviction and then it becomes a community to support one another. Regardless of people's critiques on their conviction they keep on producing similar work by looking it from different ideas.
So, as mentioned above (I would not use the word "inspiration) the actual cause to write this book is to support someone who has already written this content ( it can be Dan Brown) to become a group to support one another.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

I do think that Judas was the main inspiration. It seems like the author wanted to present a different view of Judas in the book.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I'm interested in explaining in the best way possible of what is really happening with the ancient texts and what the chruch did.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”