The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

The author's inspiration.

Post by Michgal 32 »

What do you think could be the author's inspiration in writing this book?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess it is need to change the perception of the Church towards Judas although this sounds like a secondary aim rather than a primary intention.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
WaryReader
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WaryReader »

I think he just wants to get his unorthodox opinion out there. If he knows anything about the Christian faith, he should know that his book conveys a pretty controversial message, but maybe he wants to express something that he found profound and worthwhile in a professional way. :techie-reference:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The most likely source of inspiration that comes to mind would be to raise awareness about his findings. He obviously wants to challenge the common ideas regarding the Christian faith.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.
katinabuchanan5
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by katinabuchanan5 »

I think the author was inspired by Judas. I think the author is looking for like minds in search of a place to practice his beliefs free of criticism or argument. I think the author is inspired by past and current religious figures for whom he share lifestyle but not reason. So, he is motivated to talk a little about his inner self.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michgal 32 wrote: 03 May 2019, 03:42 What do you think could be the author's inspiration in writing this book?
I think the author is very open to religious perspectives and wanted to view judas through Gnostic teachings.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I have not encountered the works f Dan Brown before but I guess now that I have seen his name here, I might as well dig deeper to see what he had to say too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:26 I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.

The idea of Judas becoming the savior sounds ridiculous. I mean where would such a teaching be emanating from. Apart from Jesus, there is no other savior in the Bible. Judas role was betrayal not salvation.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
I appreciate an honestly intrigued opinion which does not centre on Gnoticism.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:15
sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
Thank you.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:20
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:15
Thank you.
Your welcome, and thanks for participating.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I am no to be compared to Dan Brown. I hate that! He writes fiction. I'm interested in explaining in the best way possible what is really happening with the ancient texts and what the Church did.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”