Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by Dragonsend »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 24 May 2019, 19:34
alicia_fountain wrote: 24 May 2019, 18:03 Hi Julius,

Your question raises an important subject. Many psychologists, sociologists, archaeologists believe that religion arose out of psychological need to feel important. One answer to your question is that no, no book will be the end of religion. However, you spoke only of Christianity. Simply put, religion is in the eye of the beholder. Christianity may still meet it's demise one day, but it is not because of this book. Misreading Judas was published approximately 2.5 years ago and did not add very much to the biblical literary community.

It is funny that you ask if this book marks the end of Christianity. Christianity is still going strong. Religion in general is still going strong. New ways of thinking are constantly changing Christianity so that it feels new and good to the newer generations.
You raise some excellent points. The idea of religion having developed to satisfy the psychological need of importance makes sense, because once individuals feel important than it's a slippery-slope to thinking it's okay to control and belittle others. As far as Christianity changing, I agree. It's changed in my lifetime and sometimes wonder how much it has changed over the two millennia. :eusa-think:
Interesting but here is the thing, a Christian gives the Glory to God. This doesn't lessen nor enlarge your importance. We already are the only reasoning beings on Earth. The top of the food chain, so to speak ,if we take to much credit we miss all the small things and fail to appreciate them.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Mark the end of Christianity?... Impossible!
Christianity which as being for thousands of years before us can't be brought to an end by a book. Asides, beyond Christianity being a religion is a thing of the heart.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Not by a long shot. This are old writings which if they were to undermine Christianity, then it would have happened by now.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

The future is not how you picture it in yiur mind, however, enough collective effort may bring about the necessary change that you aspire. The end of Christianity? Maybe.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

It is not the end of Christianity, I thank the author for writing this book because he brought to awareness that christians should know the truth and not be blinded by invented theories and customs that Christian leaders are putting up and tend not to reveal the in-depth of the Bible and the scriptures.
Rosh Rk Casulla
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosh-rk-casulla.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Rosh Rk Casulla »

I don't think this book will mark the end of Christianity. Biblical accounts such that of Judas were scrutinized by biblical scholars for many years. This one book cannot shake Christianity. Nevertheless, this will give new insights that are useful in the study about Judas in relation to Christ.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

Despite that being the author's lofty intention, I don't think that this text will end Christianity any more than The Da Vinci Code did. The Gnostic texts have been around for just as long as canon texts...some of them longer. Along with the Apocrypha, they are essentially religious fanfiction. They were analyzed and assessed by numerous religious elders and leaders and determined to be opposed to the teachings of the church. To believe that one can use those same works to upend two thousand years of tradition is foolish.
njc28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by njc28 »

the can no put to an end the Christianity,the itself is full of meaningful Information to Judas,the book bring additional insight to Christians there is nothing to fear at all.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

jhollan2 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:59 Despite that being the author's lofty intention, I don't think that this text will end Christianity any more than The Da Vinci Code did. The Gnostic texts have been around for just as long as canon texts...some of them longer. Along with the Apocrypha, they are essentially religious fanfiction. They were analyzed and assessed by numerous religious elders and leaders and determined to be opposed to the teachings of the church. To believe that one can use those same works to upend two thousand years of tradition is foolish.
Two-thousand years of fanfiction, you mean ....

Why does anyone assume the Bible is true, just because the ruse has been successful for so long?
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
This was my thought - it might make a few believers ask questions, but one book alone cannot bring down an entire religion.
Juliet144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet144.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Juliet144 »

This book cannot significantly damage Christianity. Christians generally base their faith and understanding upon what the bible says. Throughout the ages, there have been many attacks on the bible and it has stood the test of times. I think it will survive this one. information is not necessarily correct because there are seeming shreds of evidence to support one's points. Our judgments at times are influenced by our perceptions. Our perceptions are sometimes screwed because of biases. I believe in reading widely and objectively. However, anyone who is searching for errors in or a reason to doubt the bible will most likely find a hook to hang their doubts on. Even unreliable hooks.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

The dead sea scrolls didn't, so I don't see why this would.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I don't think the author's aim is end Christianity but to correct the misjudge of Judas. However, it cannot end Christianity, Christianity is based on the Faith in Christ not Judas action or inaction.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Joe Hadithi wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 17:47 The dead sea scrolls didn't, so I don't see why this would.
Regarding the DSS, Joe. Yes, they did end it. Read Dr. Eisenman's books on it.http://roberteisenman.com/
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Orizon wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 09:44 I don't think the author's aim is end Christianity but to correct the misjudge of Judas. However, it cannot end Christianity, Christianity is based on the Faith in Christ not Judas action or inaction.
You need to read it first.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”