Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
AlexandriaDR
Currently Reading: The Murder of Mary Russell
Bookshelf Size: 1882

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by AlexandriaDR »

Christianity has been around for over 2,000 years. This book focused on one aspect of the religion. While it tries to apply implications to more, the core of the faith will not be shattered by this book nor, I think, others like it. Look at how Christianity continues despite multiple divisions; it is proabably a religion with more and greater varying demoninations than any other. I think that is largely how it endures. Historically, People are more likely to find or start a different denomination than they are to leave Christianity entirely.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

AlexandriaDR wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 12:41 Christianity has been around for over 2,000 years. This book focused on one aspect of the religion. While it tries to apply implications to more, the core of the faith will not be shattered by this book nor, I think, others like it. Look at how Christianity continues despite multiple divisions; it is proabably a religion with more and greater varying demoninations than any other. I think that is largely how it endures. Historically, People are more likely to find or start a different denomination than they are to leave Christianity entirely.
Ahhh. I think, at last count, 3,000. It is for exactly this reason that there is a living Master. In Sant Mat, got a question? Ask the Master. John 6:40 and 9:4-5 are examples of where remnants of the true teachings remain concerning living Mastership. The gnostic originals were about SUCCESSION, and it was suppressed for a reason. The Pauline Church was a new idea (Ecc. 1:9 says that cannot be) and it stopped succession with Jesus. That is a damnedable lie. Masters must be living to save. Current Master: www.rssb.org
RaeReadsandReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raereadsandreviews.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by RaeReadsandReviews »

No, but it definitely brings light to a trend that many people in the US are following. For many people, religion is not neccessary. For others, they follow religion to feel a sense of purpose and guidance. We are definitely going towards secularism as a society, but I think it will still be many years before most people abandon religion. I also think many people tend to prefer identifying as "spiritual but not religious."
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

RaeReadsandReviews wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 11:12 No, but it definitely brings light to a trend that many people in the US are following. For many people, religion is not neccessary. For others, they follow religion to feel a sense of purpose and guidance. We are definitely going towards secularism as a society, but I think it will still be many years before most people abandon religion. I also think many people tend to prefer identifying as "spiritual but not religious."
There is a very specific Path to God, whether you call it religion or spirituality. It underlies both gnostic and orthodox teachings, but the orthodoxy is inverting it to cover it up. Living Masters lead those who are ready to go within. See the Apocalypse of Peter for both a beautiful description of this, and a big clue that the original story was the gnostic one. Last 12 words of the first paragraph: http://gnosis.org/naghamm/apopet.html
Calgert

Post by Calgert »

I do not believe that this book will end Christianity. In fact I feel that this question would be a significant stretch when any book questions a person's beliefs and faith. Faith is believing in something even when you might not be able to lay your hands on the object of your beliefs or you might not be able to see that object of your faith. Christianity also is defined in my opinion by the person having a very personal relationship with God. One book should never cause you to question your faith, the book might cause you to think or develop a few questions but to end Chistianity would be a signiicant stretch of beliefs of too many people.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

No, a mere book cannot end Christianity because true christianity is based on the conviction of a person's heart and not just on perceptions or speculation.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

oluchiokere84 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 16:19 No, a mere book cannot end Christianity because true christianity is based on the conviction of a person's heart and not just on perceptions or speculation.
Neither is Christianity based on careful observation, all I am asking of the reader. I present, in painstaking detail, hard evidence that the canon is derived, inverted fiction. And that matters. A lot.
Pedro_72
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pedro-72.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Pedro_72 »

(except Red States)

That is a HUGE exception! Just look at how successful right-wing Christians in the USA are at getting their candidates elected, restricting the rights of women, preventing the teaching of science in public classrooms and injecting farcical creation stories, etc. It is still impossible to successfully run for public office in 99% of the US without professing some sort of religious faith (and not just in red states).

I hope that right-wing Christianity ultimately fails as it is vile and evil but for now it remains an incredibly powerful political and cultural force in the USA.

Also, if you believe having one's deeply held beliefs exposed as a fraud automatically makes people reject them Google the history of the Seventh Day Adventists. When people receive evidence that refutes their beliefs their first tendency is to double down on them - not reject them.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I highly doubt if there is a day we shall all say christianity is dead. People will always believe in God.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

I don’t think a single book will be able to end a religion that has existed for so long and that people are still dying for around the world. Rather I think it will fit into its own niche and appeal to those already in or leaning towards this view.
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html

Post by Thundershake »

Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
I agree with you. Just because another brings their beliefs to the table does not mean that their beliefs will become true for everyone else.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Thundershake wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 15:33
Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
I agree with you. Just because another brings their beliefs to the table does not mean that their beliefs will become true for everyone else.
My book, however, has nothing whatsoever to do with faith.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Don Pwai wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 11:18 I highly doubt if there is a day we shall all say christianity is dead. People will always believe in God.
They aren't the same. Thank goodness.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I don't think so. The author's viewpoint will be challenged by Christian scholars because it is obvious he will not get any support regarding his own version of events. Which calls into question the status of Judas as a hero, not a traitor.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 09:36 I don't think so. The author's viewpoint will be challenged by Christian scholars because it is obvious he will not get any support regarding his own version of events. Which calls into question the status of Judas as a hero, not a traitor.
Judas is fictional. Did you not read the book, Amina?

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”