Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by juliusotieno02 »

What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
klballard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klballard.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by klballard »

It’d be impossible for a single book to end Christianity. The Bible has been the most published book of all time while being the most persecuted book of all time. Christianity has survived Emperor Nero, Gnosticism, book burning, criminalization, Richard Dawkins, etc. One book might change a few minds, but it’ll do nothing to Christianity as a whole because Christianity isn’t about facts, rules, or a book, it’s about a changed life from a Person who rose from the grave. No book can counter someone’s experience.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:03 What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
I really don't think that this book can put an end to Christianity :) I also guess, it's not the first one among very many similar books with similar ideas.

I believe, the Gnosticism got rediscovered not long ago and very many started some discussions and conversations based on these ideas. But Christianity existed alongside Gnosticism during centuries, so it can't harm Christianity and Christian beliefs, in my opinion.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I do not feel that this author will do much to end Christianity or further his own direction. I got the feeling that furthering himself is his intention - and that he thinks very highly of himself and his work (rightly so with all the effort he gave it) in being able to accomplish his mission. Christianity is more than a he said/she said situation though and there are educated writings on all sides of this issue. Faith is more than what any book can show you.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

This book isn’t going to change a worldview on Jesus Christ and religion. It is a fact that Jesus Christ walked the earth perform miracles and was raised from the dead. It is just this authors opinion that Judis it’s comparable to Jesus in anyway.

In the past people have said the Bible proved that God condoned slavery, and that we should prosecute homosexuals and many other ridiculous claims.The bible can be interpreted in so many ways. Seemingly, so it suits are personal ideas at times. These are not at all anyone’s opinions in the free world. They are just relics of an unenlightened society. Just like those opinions, this book will eventually be a part of world history that most people are not aware of.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I didn’t mean to make it sound like Mr. Heller’s Herculean effort in writing this book and researching it is inconsequential. He did a great job and it is a book that makes you think at least it made me think
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
That's a pretty good analogy. One I'm inclined to agree with.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

klballard wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:40 It’d be impossible for a single book to end Christianity. The Bible has been the most published book of all time while being the most persecuted book of all time. Christianity has survived Emperor Nero, Gnosticism, book burning, criminalization, Richard Dawkins, etc. One book might change a few minds, but it’ll do nothing to Christianity as a whole because Christianity isn’t about facts, rules, or a book, it’s about a changed life from a Person who rose from the grave. No book can counter someone’s experience.
I agree with you!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
I really like this one!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I do not think this an end to Christianity, only to some aspects of the bible stories some of us learned as children. Thirty pieces of silver have become the mark of a traitor but the story would not be materially different is Judas was not a traitor but is in fact also a master. And Peter denying Christ 3 times, I would like it better if that were not the case. Some of those aspects were a stretch in my imagination. A more accurate translation could weave a different and better story.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

This book will not mark an end of Christianity. I do think it will cause a bit of controversy and generate a lot of discussion. However, one book is not going to change the religious beliefs of millions of people.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Those who hold true to their beliefs will not allow this book to shake them in their faith. I did not like the contents of this book as it seemed an attempt to dismantle the foundation of Christianity. Although the author, obviously, did a lot of research and is well-educated in the subjects mentioned, I do not believe that his conclusions are correct. I completely disagree with this book.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

allbooked+ wrote: 02 May 2019, 07:35 I do not feel that this author will do much to end Christianity or further his own direction. I got the feeling that furthering himself is his intention - and that he thinks very highly of himself and his work (rightly so with all the effort he gave it) in being able to accomplish his mission. Christianity is more than a he said/she said situation though and there are educated writings on all sides of this issue. Faith is more than what any book can show you.
Couldn't have said it any better. Thank you.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”