What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Browlyns
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Browlyns » 30 May 2019, 03:22

The author is definitely not a Christian. He is definitely trying to debunk the belief and raise the status of Judas.

Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Zeix » 31 May 2019, 07:51

I think the author is just open minded and he is trying to figure out his unanswered questions

Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal » 31 May 2019, 09:22

Zeix wrote:
31 May 2019, 07:51
I think the author is just open minded and he is trying to figure out his unanswered questions
That is part of it. Want to help? I can't so far get any scholars to help. I do have a few more questions. But I am sure Judas was covering James.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 03 Jun 2019, 09:34

freakkshowx wrote:
22 May 2019, 15:54
chelhack wrote:
21 May 2019, 23:18
I feel that the author has a belief in what he feels is his or the truth that he wants it to be. I feel that he really has no reason or right to target the Biblical Scholars has he has. If they are wrong at least the tried to bring a good word and direct people in living good lives. I think that he is to hung up on wanting to prove them or others to be wrong and himself as being right. What if it didn't happen either of their way of viewing or trying to recap the time.
Absolutely, I found it strange and almost offensive how he singled out and ragged on a specific one or two theologians, especially the female. He nearly forgot what he was even arguing in order to address them directly in their "wrongness", so to speak. I was not amused by this, and I'm not even Christian.
This is the author. I've said that April DeConick contributed some good translation choices, like, "Your star has ascended" in the ode to Judas, but that her persistence to mischaracterize the gnostic Judas as condemned is wrong. She is a scholar! She should know better. You are not the one to be dismissed with slights, like, "he drank the cool-aid" or, "you'll never get anywhere with that Guru stuff!" I get fed up with scholars. So would you.

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks » 05 Jun 2019, 02:36

The reaction to the church would be either way, positive or negative but still this is for the best. Even if he is Christian, then he has opened up people's thinking.

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 05 Jun 2019, 02:39

I agree the church would have taken this as a betrayal. However, I also think that the writer tried to open his views relating religion.

jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 » 06 Jun 2019, 10:45

The author says in the book and his bio that he was once Christian but now follows an Eastern sort of catchall spirituality called the Radha Soami Satsang Beas Philosophical Organization. To me, reading this felt like reading something from a cult leader. Making the claim that only you correctly understand the true meaning of the bible and that everyone else in history is wrong is so full of hubris. The author seems to truly believe that he will revolutionize all world religions with this small book. This makes him either delusional or just a full on narcissist...both of which are ideal for cult leaders.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 06 Jun 2019, 10:51

jhollan2 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 10:45
The author says in the book and his bio that he was once Christian but now follows an Eastern sort of catchall spirituality called the Radha Soami Satsang Beas Philosophical Organization. To me, reading this felt like reading something from a cult leader. Making the claim that only you correctly understand the true meaning of the bible and that everyone else in history is wrong is so full of hubris. The author seems to truly believe that he will revolutionize all world religions with this small book. This makes him either delusional or just a full on narcissist...both of which are ideal for cult leaders.
I never claimed it would happen overnight.

njc28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by njc28 » 06 Jun 2019, 11:16

the book will rise confusion among Christian believers but historian will benefit from.

a9436
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 » 09 Jun 2019, 11:22

I had the impression that the author was from a Christian background, but had become disillusioned and felt then a pull to delve deeper into the history of the faith. Of course, I could be wrong!

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 09 Jun 2019, 13:27

a9436 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 11:22
I had the impression that the author was from a Christian background, but had become disillusioned and felt then a pull to delve deeper into the history of the faith. Of course, I could be wrong!
Somewhat true. I was introduced to the living Masters philosophy, in 1975, a year after becoming disillusioned about the New Testament. The Old is just fine. The New is the Anti-Christ.

56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by 56lives » 10 Jun 2019, 04:40

He is neither religious nor Christian. He is just an academic who is trying to prove a point. In this case his point is to discredit Jesus Christ as the Son of God and, the Christian Church in general. Christianity is about love and tolerance, no coercion. People are free to make choices. As such the reaction of the church would not go beyond a few words of disappointment.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 10 Jun 2019, 09:21

56lives wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 04:40
He is neither religious nor Christian. He is just an academic who is trying to prove a point. In this case his point is to discredit Jesus Christ as the Son of God and, the Christian Church in general. Christianity is about love and tolerance, no coercion. People are free to make choices. As such the reaction of the church would not go beyond a few words of disappointment.
I am a deeply spiritual person. I consider myself Christian in moral outlook. The Church created a false religion around purely fictitious characters for power and money. Look at the Catholic Church! It is rotten to the core and all the way to the
top. I'm not vindictive. Just calling it as it is.

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html

Post by AntonelaMaria » 10 Jun 2019, 10:44

Renu G wrote:
02 May 2019, 05:34
The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
I see the author engaging here in a discussion about the book which is good I guess. But maybe it would be better to have an open conversation with a special topic open about it and not to come out of the left field.

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html

Post by AntonelaMaria » 10 Jun 2019, 10:47

0728184928 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:16
the book will rise confusion among Christian believers but historian will benefit from.
Do you actually believe that? Because I 'm not confused.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”