What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Kyoks »

The reaction to the church would be either way, positive or negative but still this is for the best. Even if he is Christian, then he has opened up people's thinking.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I agree the church would have taken this as a betrayal. However, I also think that the writer tried to open his views relating religion.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

The author says in the book and his bio that he was once Christian but now follows an Eastern sort of catchall spirituality called the Radha Soami Satsang Beas Philosophical Organization. To me, reading this felt like reading something from a cult leader. Making the claim that only you correctly understand the true meaning of the bible and that everyone else in history is wrong is so full of hubris. The author seems to truly believe that he will revolutionize all world religions with this small book. This makes him either delusional or just a full on narcissist...both of which are ideal for cult leaders.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

jhollan2 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:45 The author says in the book and his bio that he was once Christian but now follows an Eastern sort of catchall spirituality called the Radha Soami Satsang Beas Philosophical Organization. To me, reading this felt like reading something from a cult leader. Making the claim that only you correctly understand the true meaning of the bible and that everyone else in history is wrong is so full of hubris. The author seems to truly believe that he will revolutionize all world religions with this small book. This makes him either delusional or just a full on narcissist...both of which are ideal for cult leaders.
I never claimed it would happen overnight.
njc28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by njc28 »

the book will rise confusion among Christian believers but historian will benefit from.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I had the impression that the author was from a Christian background, but had become disillusioned and felt then a pull to delve deeper into the history of the faith. Of course, I could be wrong!
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

a9436 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 11:22 I had the impression that the author was from a Christian background, but had become disillusioned and felt then a pull to delve deeper into the history of the faith. Of course, I could be wrong!
Somewhat true. I was introduced to the living Masters philosophy, in 1975, a year after becoming disillusioned about the New Testament. The Old is just fine. The New is the Anti-Christ.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

He is neither religious nor Christian. He is just an academic who is trying to prove a point. In this case his point is to discredit Jesus Christ as the Son of God and, the Christian Church in general. Christianity is about love and tolerance, no coercion. People are free to make choices. As such the reaction of the church would not go beyond a few words of disappointment.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

56lives wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 04:40 He is neither religious nor Christian. He is just an academic who is trying to prove a point. In this case his point is to discredit Jesus Christ as the Son of God and, the Christian Church in general. Christianity is about love and tolerance, no coercion. People are free to make choices. As such the reaction of the church would not go beyond a few words of disappointment.
I am a deeply spiritual person. I consider myself Christian in moral outlook. The Church created a false religion around purely fictitious characters for power and money. Look at the Catholic Church! It is rotten to the core and all the way to the
top. I'm not vindictive. Just calling it as it is.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
I see the author engaging here in a discussion about the book which is good I guess. But maybe it would be better to have an open conversation with a special topic open about it and not to come out of the left field.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

0728184928 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 11:16 the book will rise confusion among Christian believers but historian will benefit from.
Do you actually believe that? Because I 'm not confused.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 10:47
0728184928 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 11:16 the book will rise confusion among Christian believers but historian will benefit from.
Do you actually believe that? Because I 'm not confused.
Hello AntonelaMaria. I am hoping to share with others, especially Christians, new information that informs the New Testament. There is much more to the Gospel story than even scholars know. I practice the mysticism that is at the heart of ALL of these teachings. I'm telling you there is an even better reality than the one we have all been taught. Your Master is always a living one, alive when you are. This is what John 9:4 says in the original "sent US" version. The real Master of that time was James, not Jesus.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 10:44
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
I see the author engaging here in a discussion about the book which is good I guess. But maybe it would be better to have an open conversation with a special topic open about it and not to come out of the left field.
I'm eager to share - anytime. (the author)
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

a9436 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 11:22 I had the impression that the author was from a Christian background, but had become disillusioned and felt then a pull to delve deeper into the history of the faith. Of course, I could be wrong!
This is the author. You are correct. I was a Christian for three years, from 1972-1974. A year later, in 1975, I became what I still am today, a practicing mystic/gnostic with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas, of Beas, India.

The reality of the collection of gnostic texts and Dead Sea Scrolls completely changes the way we see Scripture. The New Testament is now clearly derived fiction, not history. It is factional in nature and not informative, but rather it is disinformation. True spirituality is found in other writings. Even the Old Testament is at odds with it: Ecclesiastes 1:9 and Hosea 6:6, for just two examples.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think the author is someone who is very open to new things and prone to research. Whether we agree with him kr not, we have to concede that he has done his research before writing this book.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”