Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by cassibear13 »

No, this book doesn't change my religious beliefs. No matter how Judas is portrayed he still, at least in my mind, a traitor.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

cassibear13 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 16:28 No, this book doesn't change my religious beliefs. No matter how Judas is portrayed he still, at least in my mind, a traitor.
Did you read it?
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Prisallen wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 14:47 No, it doesn't change my faith or beliefs.
Did you read it all?
Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 »

I think it's healthy to consider a variety of viewpoints about a religious figure and Judas is no exception. In American history the founding fathers are widely revered even though most of them held slaves and they made some really poor decisions. Conversely, people like Benedict Arnold are seen as traitors even though their story is much more complex than that. I think it enhances one's faith to consider all sides of a religious figure.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I'm always interested to be challenged, as long as the points stand up to scrutiny. Though, since these matters are up to interpretations, I can only comment on whether the interpretations are consistent or not.
-rk
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

The portrayal of Judas in misreading Judas does neither shake nor change my religious beliefs. The end of the day, the big question pops up; why commit suicide when you have done nothing wrong ?
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Agnes098 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 23:52 The portrayal of Judas in misreading Judas does neither shake nor change my religious beliefs. The end of the day, the big question pops up; why commit suicide when you have done nothing wrong ?
That's just one of the incongruities of the Gospel myth. Why did Judas need to point out Jesus, a well-known trouble maker in the Temple??? It NEVER HAPPENED. It is a COVERUP. James was the real Master, and the Paulines had to write him out of the history books AS A TRAITOR (Judas) so they could continue to fill Pauline Church pews. There never WAS a Judas. He was James, inverted tendentiously. I don't think there was a Jesus, either. He is a composite character of John the Baptist and James. Their life narratives share too many similarities to be three separate people.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

raikyuu wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:43 I'm always interested to be challenged, as long as the points stand up to scrutiny. Though, since these matters are up to interpretations, I can only comment on whether the interpretations are consistent or not.
The Bible narrative is the inconsistent one. Why did Judas need to betray Jesus with a kiss when Jesus was well-known as a Temple troublemaker?
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Not at all, I respect the author's point of view as all of us are entitled to opinions and anyone with an open mind should just take the book as an opinion.
Wanja Kenya
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Wanja Hannah wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 04:29 Not at all, I respect the author's point of view as all of us are entitled to opinions and anyone with an open mind should just take the book as an opinion.
I think you are missing my point in the book. It is about literary comparison, not opinion or faith.
Achintya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Achintya »

I don't think this text was written by the author to change anyones belief system. it was just to enlighten. and to be honest that is more important than racial thoughts and jihadism going on to forcefully ideas into peoples brain. this was information and knowledge meant to process and was amazing
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Achintya wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 04:45 I don't think this text was written by the author to change anyones belief system. it was just to enlighten. and to be honest that is more important than racial thoughts and jihadism going on to forcefully ideas into peoples brain. this was information and knowledge meant to process and was amazing
Please, I need a review like yours on my booksite. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15246 ... 5K32J6D6Y1
:)
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

No the book did not change my religious belief. However, it does poses much more questions than answers and can render an already confused person even more so.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Wallaceo wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 04:21 No the book did not change my religious belief. However, it does poses much more questions than answers and can render an already confused person even more so.
Then I've failed.
Petra1791
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petra1791.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Petra1791 »

No, it doesn't change my beliefs. Everyone has a right to their views. I am not threatened by an opposing viewpoint when my convictions are strong.
"I am enough."
- The Uncompromised Life

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”