Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
MirageP
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Orb
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by MirageP » 14 Jun 2019, 12:29

Balazon2000 wrote:
01 May 2019, 10:56
If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
Very well said! And I agree, one book can't change one's long-held convictions. The arguments might be interesting, but not enough.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"

Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal » 14 Jun 2019, 18:17

MirageP wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 12:29
Balazon2000 wrote:
01 May 2019, 10:56
If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
Very well said! And I agree, one book can't change one's long-held convictions. The arguments might be interesting, but not enough.
I was a Christian in 1974. Then In 1975, I saw this book. http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/product_p/en-036-0.htm
It changed the course of my life forever. So one book can change one's long-held convictions. If you are a Christian, didn't the Bible change yours? I don't see why anyone thinks the Bible is unique.

MirageP
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Orb
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageP » 15 Jun 2019, 12:05

I was a Christian in 1974. Then In 1975, I saw this book. http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/product_p/en-036-0.htm
It changed the course of my life forever. So one book can change one's long-held convictions. If you are a Christian, didn't the Bible change yours? I don't see why anyone thinks the Bible is unique.
I'm sorry, I did not mean to be dismissive about your book. In fact, I'm a Hindu, not Christian. I've read a few books that question the behaviour/values/acts of (Hindu) God's avatars on earth, and I was not swayed by any of them. Although I'm aware that Hinduism and Christianity differ in fundamentals like chalk from cheese, I believe faith itself is inherently unshakeable, whether in the Bible or the Ramayan.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"

cmabramo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmabramo.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by cmabramo » 15 Jun 2019, 19:54

No it doesn't. It's sounds like an interesting take on a story/situation that is so well known, but it wouldn't change my actual beliefs. There is no amount of suffering or temptation that Judas endured that Jesus himself did not also encounter, but Jesus remained pure throughout. Judas allowed his experiences to lead him to this hive betrayal.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 16 Jun 2019, 10:19

cmabramo wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 19:54
No it doesn't. It's sounds like an interesting take on a story/situation that is so well known, but it wouldn't change my actual beliefs. There is no amount of suffering or temptation that Judas endured that Jesus himself did not also encounter, but Jesus remained pure throughout. Judas allowed his experiences to lead him to this hive betrayal.
None of it happened. The Gospels are polemic, not history. Why does everyone so easily accept it as true history? Read one of the few experts who say so: Dr. Robert Eisenman. http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Sea-Scrolls- ... s+eisenman
http://www.amazon.com/James-Brother-Jes ... pd_sim_b_2

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Kajori50 » 16 Jun 2019, 15:25

Well, tye views portrayed in this book is definitely intriguing. However, I am not sure tgat they are enough to change deep-seated beliefs.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 16 Jun 2019, 18:52

Kajori50 wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 15:25
Well, tye views portrayed in this book is definitely intriguing. However, I am not sure tgat they are enough to change deep-seated beliefs.
I tried to avoid faith as a topic, and stuck to the literary evidence.

Thabang Amos
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos » 17 Jun 2019, 12:41

I think it would be far fetched to say that it has altered my religious beliefs because one think that I have learnt over time is that religion is something that I just can't change overnight and it has become apart of me. Though the books shows details about Judas, it's hard to think it would alter anything

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 17 Jun 2019, 18:36

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:
01 May 2019, 00:18
The book seeks to change the normal belief of Judas as the traitor and makes him to have made the ultimate sacrifice. Does the book change or even shake your religeous beliefs?
I guess it would depend how much faith you place in the truth of the Gnostic gospels in the first place, wouldn't it? I'm preparing to read this but it seems to me that it's quite the controversial topic, given where these gospels are often sourced in the first place.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 17 Jun 2019, 20:23

Nisha Ward wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 18:36
Ferdinand_otieno wrote:
The book seeks to change the normal belief of Judas as the traitor and makes him to have made the ultimate sacrifice. Does the book change or even shake your religeous beliefs?
I guess it would depend how much faith you place in the truth of the Gnostic gospels in the first place, wouldn't it? I'm preparing to read this but it seems to me that it's quite the controversial topic, given where these gospels are often sourced in the first place.
Nisha,

What does that mean? 'Where they are sourced'? They are writings of second and third century Gnostics of Egypt. Maybe the sources go back to first century. I certainly think so. The logic is there, given the details of the teachings. I practice mysticism. That is what these Gnostics practiced. I know their teachings as my own. They are legitimate meditation practice, as taught by real, living, breathing Masters (Maharaj Charan Singh, rssb.org). I know what I'm talking about, and so did the authors of these writings. They had to be buried to save them from the orthodox zealots who were after them with malevolent intent. My book seeks to prove that no matter what you believe, you can see which story is original.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 18 Jun 2019, 09:25

Sahansdal wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 20:23
Nisha Ward wrote:
Ferdinand_otieno wrote:
Nisha,

What does that mean? 'Where they are sourced'? They are writings of second and third century Gnostics of Egypt. Maybe the sources go back to first century. I certainly think so. The logic is there, given the details of the teachings. I practice mysticism. That is what these Gnostics practiced. I know their teachings as my own. They are legitimate meditation practice, as taught by real, living, breathing Masters (Maharaj Charan Singh, rssb.org). I know what I'm talking about, and so did the authors of these writings. They had to be buried to save them from the orthodox zealots who were after them with malevolent intent. My book seeks to prove that no matter what you believe, you can see which story is original.
Error of vague phrasing, my apologies. I meant in the more strongly Catholic world and probably should have said that. Mysticism and alternatives to Catholicism are always controversial to that branch of faith and my phrasing might have had some residual lack of nuance from when I was a practising Catholic.

I also meant sourcing as coming from a Catholic perspective as opposed to the more neutral geo-historical meaning as Catholics tend to look upon gospels falling under Gnosticism as not the true gospels. Me? I don't know that I'd subscribe to that view of Gnoticism or if i ever subscribed to it in the first place, given that I don't believe that only four of the apostles thought to write their own accounts.

Again, my phrasing was clumsy and just bad, so my apologies for the offense.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 18 Jun 2019, 10:16

Nisha Ward wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 09:25
Sahansdal wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 20:23
Nisha Ward wrote:

Nisha,

Error of vague phrasing, my apologies. I meant in the more strongly Catholic world and probably should have said that. Mysticism and alternatives to Catholicism are always controversial to that branch of faith and my phrasing might have had some residual lack of nuance from when I was a practising Catholic.

I also meant sourcing as coming from a Catholic perspective as opposed to the more neutral geo-historical meaning as Catholics tend to look upon gospels falling under Gnosticism as not the true gospels. Me? I don't know that I'd subscribe to that view of Gnoticism or if i ever subscribed to it in the first place, given that I don't believe that only four of the apostles thought to write their own accounts.

Again, my phrasing was clumsy and just bad, so my apologies for the offense.
No offense. Maybe I came off as annoyed. I 'm not annoyed. I sincerely wanted to know just what you meant. One thing you need to accept is that none of the Gospels were written by 'apostles,' if there indeed were any. They could not have written with such educated Greek. The style of the Gospels is amazingly refined. I don't subscribe to what they say, but the writing is second to none as literature. But no serious scholar believes anymore that they were written by immediate members of Christ's entourage, given he really lived at all. I don't think so. The more I studied the New Testament, the more convinced I became that there was no Jesus -- only James. John the Baptist, James, and Peter. They were the Masters, in that order. There have been hundreds of Masters. I have seen two (Charan Singh, and Baba Ji Gurinder Singh). My first book goes into the ways one can recognize a Master.

The teachings are very consistent, they are always mystic and don't involve the Master dying as a sacrifice. Hosea 6:6 will not accept that. Ecc. 1:9 also says that there can be nothing "new" - as in NEW Testament. The NT is not information, but disinformation. It was solely intended to hide that there was a mastership succession. Paul killed James. That's why 'Stephen' was invented. Stephen covers James in the stoning of James story in Acts 7. Luke had to come up with a story segment for what happened to James. He is hard to find in the narrative, as so many characters cover him. Judas is the main one, anywhere you see him, but others cover events of his life and death -- even Jesus.

Dr. Robert Eisenman gave me the idea of Judas as James. He shows the telltale details of Acts 1, and I show the details in The Betrayal. They are fascinating, as you will see.

Bretagne
Favorite Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bretagne.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
fav_author_id: 3288

Post by Bretagne » 18 Jun 2019, 11:57

I’m not sure I’d say the book changes my religious beliefs, but I did find it interesting to find a comparison between a series of texts rather than one source. Generally speaking, I’m not a fan of interpreting texts for their exact definition, but it really did bring new perspective here.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » 18 Jun 2019, 13:35

What a fantastic discussion. We really need this kind of dialogue more often.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Tommi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Tommi » 19 Jun 2019, 09:52

It does not. Strong religious convictions cannot easily be shaken by a single book with unauthorized source.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”