Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by Sahansdal » 06 Jun 2019, 14:22

Debottam_55 wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 13:24
Although I didn't read the whole book but I was really intrigued by the sample that was provided. I think this books covers a very sinister issue and has a modern approach to a medieval situation. Overall, this book should be a great read and I'm looking forward to it.
Please consider writing a review. I could use careful reviews on Amazon.

Misael
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Misael » 06 Jun 2019, 15:05

I think readers who can be objective and open minded will find this book cool to read. Judas may be understood or misunderstood but whatever he may be, he was played an important role to what Roman Catholics like me believe in.

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 07 Jun 2019, 13:55

I guess this novel would come off as controversial as it re-tells one of the most widely spread stories that comes under the Christian belief. The name Judas has almost become synonymous to 'traitor', but the author puts forth an argument that revolves around Judas's mental state and what went on behind the scenes. It was a good read as it did present unique thoughts and ideas.

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 08 Jun 2019, 02:09

It's always nice to read about varied explanations behind well known events. Everybody does have a streak of goodness in them and I love how the author has taken the effort to imagine an alternative mindset for Judas's actions.

Saffron
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 270
Currently Reading:

Post by Saffron » 08 Jun 2019, 06:19

Let me just say I was asked to read Misreading Judis because it fell under my favorite genres on my online book club recommendations. Where I read books and then give my honest review. I enjoy reading nonfiction books and books about religion, mine and others. Having stated that I want to say as I read this book all I could think was how it felt as if he wrote this book just for the wow factor. Nothing in the book backs up and he claims that he states that proves Judas is the Messiah. He takes quotes from different versions of the Bible different Kodex and other literature that basically says the same thing just in a different way. But like all scriptures in the Bible and other books relating to religion you can interpret it and twist it to make it mean would you want it to me. For example in the 17 and 1800s they thought God condone slavery because she bop and had a servant who ran away and was told by God that she must honor her mistress and do her mistress is bidding and they use that to say that slavery was condone by God. We all know or at least the majority of us know that slavery isn't condone vibration of people nor by Jesus Christ. He puts a lot of scripture in this book to prove an provable point he says that Judas is James the justice and another guy who has no name but makes it clear that it it isn't James just us it's another guy with no name...so yeah! When it comes to miss reading Judas I have so much to say if only I could put my thoughts into words I guess because the book overwhelmed me I'm trying to write a review about it it's just getting me flustered. It's basically a book about a religious conspiracy theory that has no facts to back it up. The fluidity of this book is nonexistent I even went back and skimmed over it again thinking I must've not understood it, but no this book is not cohesive. I wish could speak to the author to ask him to explain to me how these hundred different scriptures prove Judas is the real Messiah if those who don't know we're talking about Judas who turned Jesus over to King Herod and the Jews who ultimately young him on the cross. I'm sure even the agnostics know the story. Well maybe you will like the book and are smarter than me and can understand this. I did not but everyone get something different from a book, so again maybe you'll understand and like the book. I did not!

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 08 Jun 2019, 07:39

cecemi_ wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 06:19
Let me just say I was asked to read Misreading Judis because it fell under my favorite genres on my online book club recommendations. Where I read books and then give my honest review. I enjoy reading nonfiction books and books about religion, mine and others. Having stated that I want to say as I read this book all I could think was how it felt as if he wrote this book just for the wow factor. Nothing in the book backs up and he claims that he states that proves Judas is the Messiah. He takes quotes from different versions of the Bible different Kodex and other literature that basically says the same thing just in a different way. But like all scriptures in the Bible and other books relating to religion you can interpret it and twist it to make it mean would you want it to me. For example in the 17 and 1800s they thought God condone slavery because she bop and had a servant who ran away and was told by God that she must honor her mistress and do her mistress is bidding and they use that to say that slavery was condone by God. We all know or at least the majority of us know that slavery isn't condone vibration of people nor by Jesus Christ. He puts a lot of scripture in this book to prove an provable point he says that Judas is James the justice and another guy who has no name but makes it clear that it it isn't James just us it's another guy with no name...so yeah! When it comes to miss reading Judas I have so much to say if only I could put my thoughts into words I guess because the book overwhelmed me I'm trying to write a review about it it's just getting me flustered. It's basically a book about a religious conspiracy theory that has no facts to back it up. The fluidity of this book is nonexistent I even went back and skimmed over it again thinking I must've not understood it, but no this book is not cohesive. I wish could speak to the author to ask him to explain to me how these hundred different scriptures prove Judas is the real Messiah if those who don't know we're talking about Judas who turned Jesus over to King Herod and the Jews who ultimately young him on the cross. I'm sure even the agnostics know the story. Well maybe you will like the book and are smarter than me and can understand this. I did not but everyone get something different from a book, so again maybe you'll understand and like the book. I did not!
So sorry it did not make any sense to you, cecemi. Send me your contact information to judaswasjames at aol dot com and I'll mail you a refund for the purchase price.

Victoria zindo Jones
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Victoria zindo Jones » 08 Jun 2019, 08:42

Well this story i would recommend to most religious leaders who still has numerous question regarding Judas character in the bible has it would widen their understanding

THarveyReadALot
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot » 08 Jun 2019, 22:10

reply to reneelu1998, and note to others,
I don't 'just believe' the Bible. It has been proven. I'm pretty sure there are more manuscripts for the Bible than other ancient works. The Gnostic Gospels aren't true. It's that simple.

Check out: https://carm.org/manuscript-evidence for a chart of info on old Manuscripts. I'm a Christian who believes the Holy Scriptures, but as 1 Peter 3:15 says, we should explain our faith and give an explanation and defense of it, with gentleness and respect. I'm trying to give help respectfully and kindly.
Sincerely,
Theresa Harvey
THarveyReadALot

THarveyReadALot
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot » 08 Jun 2019, 22:18

Jlrinc,
Why are we talking about life expectancy? Many people can and do live past that. And the Apostle John, who I think was Jesus' youngest disciple, was the only disciple thought to have died a natural death. The Gospels were written soon after the events they recorded. See my aforementioned website in my previous comment.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 09 Jun 2019, 13:33

Nerea wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:18
No disrespect, but the author did touch on a sensitive aspect of Christian faith. Trying to give some credit to what Judas did sounds distorting. As a Christian I find this book to be a threat to my faith. I just read the review of the book and I don't like everything about the book. The author should redo the research on this matter again and bring something that will develop a common ground with everyone. I don't think I'll rate the book.
Please try reading it. Then comment. I want to hear what you think then.

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by AntonelaMaria » 10 Jun 2019, 10:38

"For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” Mark 14:21

Overall all I can say.

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 10 Jun 2019, 13:56

[bn=][/bn]
AntonelaMaria wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 10:38
"For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” Mark 14:21

Overall all I can say.
Thanks for quoting Mark. There is so much to unpack here. First of all, 'betrayed' is a total mistranslation. It should read 'handed over' or 'delivered.' John 19:2, I think, is similar but with handed over. This was intentional misinformation. The author is trying to hide real dialogue with overwriting. It is widespread in the Gospels and consistent. The speaker is saying he would be better off not contacting the Spirit, as his lower, or old, self is going to die. It is a very spiritual teaching. See Scienceofthesoul.org for more

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 10 Jun 2019, 14:00

allbooked+ wrote:
02 May 2019, 08:15
I am not sure this book is for me but I will give it a try. I wish that the sample was more than reviews of the authors work - although I was surprised that they were critical at points - so that we could get a better flavor for the authors writing. Also, it is pointed out that the author 'wants us to read the Gospel of Judas without a New Testament bias'. That should not mean that you can't take the New Testament into account. I feel that a true study of any of the books should take into account all of the books, otherwise you will have tunnel vision and the full picture will not present itself.
But not in this case. The New Testament is a rewrite of the gnostic mastership succession narrative. The Betrayal never happened.

jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc » 11 Jun 2019, 04:24

THarveyReadALot wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:18
Jlrinc,
Why are we talking about life expectancy? Many people can and do live past that. And the Apostle John, who I think was Jesus' youngest disciple, was the only disciple thought to have died a natural death. The Gospels were written soon after the events they recorded. See my aforementioned website in my previous comment.
The author made a claim that the life expectancy in jesus's times was 40. That is just not correct and I was surprised that someone who had written a book about the earl Christians wouldn't know this

Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal » 11 Jun 2019, 04:41

jlrinc wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 04:24
THarveyReadALot wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:18
Jlrinc,
The author made a claim that the life expectancy in jesus's times was 40. That is just not correct and I was surprised that someone who had written a book about the earl Christians wouldn't know this
I still doubt it was commonly much longer. What does it matter, though? The point is, no eyewitnesses recorded anything about a life of Jesus Christ. He is not present in any HISTORICAL account. The Gospels are NOT history. They are literature, and literature with a mission, or purpose, and that is to disinform people. If you fell for the Gospel authors' account of spiritual enlightenment as dependent on the death sacrifice of a savior, you will never find true salvation in the now. The past is GONE. Leave the dead to bury the dead.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”