How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Re: How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Post by starshipsaga »

I too get nervous when I'm out in open ocean (though it depends on the vessel I'm on) and books about danger and survival at sea definitely make me anxious. But I enjoyed the tension in this very much. I read books like this for the same reason I read books about mountain climbing despite my fear of heights - I won't want to ever be caught in those harrowing situations, but living vicariously through books is why I enjoy reading :D
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AA1495 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 09:34
Nerea wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 02:35 For me it was different, the more scary the scene seemed to be the more I wanted to read. I'd say the book is balanced in the sense that the author chipped in less terrifying scenes in between the terrifying ones. This is what helped endure in my reading.
It is the exact opposite for me. I do not mind a few intense scenes, but I need many light scenes to cover for it.
chiefsimplex wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 13:00 I think Larry's accident was the most intense. However the more intense it got, the more I was drawn in. Overall, I do not think the incidents were too extreme as to be disconcerting, I enjoyed every bit.
I would qualify Larry's accident as THE most intense (and gory) scene in the book. It was positively stomach turning. I definitely appreciated having the less intense scenes interspersed, though I couldn't begin to call any of them exactly calming, they did help me handle the more intense scenes. I was never actually tempted to completely quit reading the book, I was too curious as to what would happen for that, I simply had to take a step back now and then. Thank you both for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with me!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Kibetious wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 21:58 One of the parts I found really suspenseful was where both Randall and Steve did not know how each of them was fairing together with the crew they were with. I can imagine myself being in either Steve's or Randall's shoe and you cannot stop thinking whether your colleagues are dead or alive.
I agree, almost no matter what was happening, that would always be a nagging thought in the back of your mind. Are they safe? Did they make it or are they dead? The internal questions would be unending and quite frustrating. I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

starshipsaga wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 00:04 I too get nervous when I'm out in open ocean (though it depends on the vessel I'm on) and books about danger and survival at sea definitely make me anxious. But I enjoyed the tension in this very much. I read books like this for the same reason I read books about mountain climbing despite my fear of heights - I won't want to ever be caught in those harrowing situations, but living vicariously through books is why I enjoy reading :D
I like living through the books I read as well. I can get totally lost in them. It's really quite annoying to my family when I'm in the world of a book and they can't get my attention IRL. :lol2: I do tend to stay away from those that I think would give me nightmares though. The Perfect Storm is a prime example. I wouldn't go anywhere near that book b/c I knew it would be terrifying to me. Now, things like Aliens and such, that I'm fairly certain will never happen to me, those I can read all day! I'm so glad you stopped by. Thanks for your thoughts!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The book was full of suspense. The only question that would arise is the level of suspense in some parts. Apart from the uncertainty about the fire on the ship, a lot of suspense was present in other parts too. For example, Heather was diabetic and her drugs were running. The members of the crew also never knew whether they would survive or not. The one that lasted long was whether William would be found or not and if yes, alive or dead.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

starshipsaga wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 00:04 I too get nervous when I'm out in open ocean (though it depends on the vessel I'm on) and books about danger and survival at sea definitely make me anxious. But I enjoyed the tension in this very much. I read books like this for the same reason I read books about mountain climbing despite my fear of heights - I won't want to ever be caught in those harrowing situations, but living vicariously through books is why I enjoy reading :D
I do not have to be out there personally. The thought of it makes me nervous.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:36 Since I'm kind of afraid of even being out on the ocean, being in a crisis that far away from land or help is one of my worst nightmares. There were a couple of scenes in the book that became too intense for me. (I know, a testament to the author's writing) and I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it for a bit. Did anyone else experience this? What scene was it that 'spooked' you?
One of the most intensive moments is when Larry got injured on the express :o
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 07:04 The book was full of suspense. The only question that would arise is the level of suspense in some parts. Apart from the uncertainty about the fire on the ship, a lot of suspense was present in other parts too. For example, Heather was diabetic and her drugs were running. The members of the crew also never knew whether they would survive or not. The one that lasted long was whether William would be found or not and if yes, alive or dead.
The author definitely knew how to draw out the suspense and work it into multiple 'paths' in the book! Heather was one that I worried about but wasn't so intense that I had to put the book down. Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 09:11
Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:36 Since I'm kind of afraid of even being out on the ocean, being in a crisis that far away from land or help is one of my worst nightmares. There were a couple of scenes in the book that became too intense for me. (I know, a testament to the author's writing) and I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it for a bit. Did anyone else experience this? What scene was it that 'spooked' you?
One of the most intensive moments is when Larry got injured on the express :o
Definitely. The author played that one to the hilt for shock value. I think that was probably my least favorite moment in the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I never had that problem with this book. I really liked reading it, and the pace and suspence just made the story that much more interesting. But I guess it is a strong material for someone who's afraid of the sea.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

aolayide wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:24 I am also afraid of being out in the sea and I agree with you that some of the scenes are too intense that it left some imaginations in my mind. Still, the story is an interesting one.
The book was indeed full of tension. I am also one person who hates such a scenario of being found in the open seas. William's boat capsized twice and I'm wondering how they managed to pull through.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 22:23 I never had that problem with this book. I really liked reading it, and the pace and suspence just made the story that much more interesting. But I guess it is a strong material for someone who's afraid of the sea.
True. One thing that made the book more interesting was how the author was able to switch between different scenes and yet maintain a good flow. One could be at sea at one point and in the next find oneself with Myra or Sarah worrying about William.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

After Steve and his team were found alive, I kept imagining what was going on in their minds concerning their colleagues. None of them knew where the others were. This also raised some air of uncertainty in the book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 22:23 I never had that problem with this book. I really liked reading it, and the pace and suspence just made the story that much more interesting. But I guess it is a strong material for someone who's afraid of the sea.
:tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Never been to the open ocean and this book was like a teaching guide on what could happen ehile out on the sea.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”