Adrift vs Strong Heart

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Adrift vs Strong Heart

Post by Tiffanyli »

I think both books were really great. It was disappointing to see that the Adrift didn't have the same characters as Strongheart but it was still a great read. I think I prefered this book more than the first. I really appreciated how it made references to the first book but was still understandable as a standalone book on its own.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I read Adrift before I read Strong Heart. I preferred Adrift. I absolutely loved the characters in Strong Heart, but I wasn't fond of reading about Sarah's vision for so long. I felt Adrift had more variety. Sarah had been one of my favorite characters when I read Adrift though, so it was nice to get more insight into her character. I would love to read another book about these characters!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

DC Brown wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:35 I read Stong Heart after Adrift. Perhaps that's why I favor Adrift so much. You are correct, they are very different books. Strong Heart was so much about the young girl, and Adrift was so much about William. I enjoyed both of them, but I appreciated the drama in Adrift much more. Perhaps because it seemed more like reality?
I think I may have liked Adrift better because it was more realistic as well. I felt like the part of Strong Heart dedicated to Sarah's vision was far too long.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I haven't read the latter, but it sounds like an interest book. I'm going to check it out and analyze after it if they are comparable.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I read Adrift first, and Strong Heart second. Even though I had it slightly backward, it didn't affect my enjoyment of each book. Charlie Sheldon is so good at making his characters seem real. I appreciate the depth of emotion that each story offers and the way that it is wrapped in history.
If I had to choose a favorite, I guess it would be Adrift because of the way it focused on the importance of teamwork for survival.
I will definitely be watching for more books by Charlie Sheldon!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I really enjoyed the "ancient" parts of Strong Heart. It is great that each book can stand on its own and we learn more about the same characters.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Personally I enjoyed reading Strong Heart the most. Although I have only read a sample of Adrift, Strong Heart still have my vote.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I have not readed Strong Heart I am sure that I would like the book. I have readed Adrift and I did enjoy the story it almost made me cry in some parts.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I liked both books, but Strong Heart is my favorite. I can't wait to read the third book of the series; there are so many misteries and relatiionships that need to be developed!!
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I have read Adrift and Strong Heart and I would say both of them are interesting. I can say either of them is superior to the other because I enjoyed them all.
Books are beautiful.
megancheyanne97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megancheyanne97.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by megancheyanne97 »

Mely918 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 19:51 I would go with Strong Heart, perhaps because I read that one first and became pretty attracted to Sarah's character. I wish Adrift would've focused on her a bit more. I think the writing style did improve in Adrift, however. Strong Heart had a lot of exposition, in my opinion.
I am so happy to hear that the writing style improves! I liked Strong Heart but it was hard for me to stand focused in some parts because there was so much going on. I was going to give up on reading Adrift if it was going to be like Strong Heart. After reading all of these posts I may just have to read it after all. :techie-studyinggray:
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

Both books are interesting but I enjoyed Strong heart more, maybe because Adrift had new characters yet I was hoping to follow the story of the main characters from Strong heart like Sarah, William and Myra.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

These were both stand alone novels in my opinion. But I did love both books, and would definitely read another book by Charlie Sheldon. There were a lot of "Oh My God" moments in Adrift. I read Adrift first and I was really excited to read Strong Heart, although it was entirely different.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I enjoyed both, but I would go with Adrift. I read them in the order of Adrift then Strong HEart, so I'll admit to being somewhat biased. But I enjoyed how dramatic and tense Adrift was in comparison. I like Strong Heart too but Adrift cuts it close by a tiny margin.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I prefer Adrift over Strong Heart. In my opinion, Adrift captures each and every character's emotions wonderfully. Its scenes are portrayed so beautifully, I have no problem imagining them in my head. Strong Heart didn't really have that impact on me.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”