Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

From the very beginning of the book, Louise had been suspecting Larry of infidelity. She evwn thought of cheating. Even after his death, she kept thinking that he cheated. Soon after his death, she came to know that Larry had always been faithful to her. In fact, he had been talking to the lawyer to dredge up some sort of bequest. When Louise came to know this, she was sad only for a short time. She became elated to find that Larry's death had left her with a lot of money with which she could pay off the mortgage, and give the crew their paychecks.

What do you think about her true feelings for Larry? Do share your thoughts.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It seemed like Louise had such a hardened heart. She didn't really show much remorse of the accident in which she had a part in. I don't understand how she didn't seem to even want to go and be with Larry after the accident. She just seemed to hang on to her anger towards Larry and her suspicions of him having an affair.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

LV2R wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 23:14 It seemed like Louise had such a hardened heart. She didn't really show much remorse of the accident in which she had a part in. I don't understand how she didn't seem to even want to go and be with Larry after the accident. She just seemed to hang on to her anger towards Larry and her suspicions of him having an affair.
Exactly my point. If we keep aside her relationship with Larry, she seems to be a formidable woman. However, her treatment of Larry or rather her lack of feelings for him makes her a hardened woman.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I felt that the love had died in their marriage, that they weren't really right for each other anymore and that she resented him for it. Even though she was angry over his supposed affair, it almost felt like she was in some way relieved, or at least vindicated - something like "I knew he was a terrible person! I just knew it!". She seemed to be tired, and looking for a way out.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think they must had been really in love for Louise to get so angry at the thought of him cheating. If she didn't care, then she wouldn't be so worked up. Something must had happened between them in the past for her to lose all trust for him. Their past was never mentioned in the book, unfortunately.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

To me, I would say that the fears before hearing that Larry was talking to the lawyer to sort some issues were well-founded. However, after being told about this, Louise still doubted Larry. I think that somehow her feelings for Larry were not true.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Louise thought Larry was cheating on her. She had already started hating him for it. So, she was distancing herself from him. I think her feelings betrayal were still there even when she found out who Larry was seeing. It would be hard to go from hating back to love in that short of time. I think for her to believe he was cheating was heart-wrenching for her.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

I think Louise went through a lot of upheaval during her time with Larry that it rendered her kind of indifferent to the whole situation. Rather than questioning what she truly felt for him, it is apt to say that she was already gearing for a new beginning.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:33 If she didn't care, then she wouldn't be so worked up.
This! When others are saying she didn't love him or care, all I can think is, "she cared!" Someone who doesn't care just moves on and does what they need to do get out of the marriage.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I imagine it is very hard to go from hating someone, thinking that they are cheating on you and feeling that betrayal, wishing them dead, and thinking of cheating yourself, back to a loving wife in a matter of hours or days. It’s like when a child disappears in a store and is then found. The parents have a mixture of anger for the child running away in the first place, guilt for having lost the child, and sheer relief that the child is okay. Those feelings take awhile to sort out. Louise was already moving on in her mind, then the accident happened. This threw everything into a tailspin. I think Louise loved Larry, but was so angry and confused by all of her emotions that she couldn’t react. She also seems like the type that wouldn’t react in front of people. She would wait until she was alone and cry her eyes out. Like many women who lose their husbands, she was putting her feelings to the side and doing what had to be done in the moment.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Right off the bat Louise seemed unhappy. One of those people who are in a perpetual rut which bring all those around them down.

Her relationship with Larry seemed superficial. Maybe at one time her feelings had more substance, but over time things must have changed. Maybe it was because she thought he was cheating?

Even when she knew the truth all she seemed to care about was money. For a woman who just lost the love of her life, she sure got over it quickly!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Louise loved Larry, it's only that she expressed it differently. You notice when Larry got an accident, she somewhat freaked out. She even regretted wishing Larry a tragedy, which unfortunately happened.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 07:42 Her relationship with Larry seemed superficial. Maybe at one time her feelings had more substance, but over time things must have changed.
I agree. One of those marriages in which the vows are more binding than the feelings. I think she was already looking for a way out.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

evraealtana wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 10:10
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 07:42 Her relationship with Larry seemed superficial. Maybe at one time her feelings had more substance, but over time things must have changed.
I agree. One of those marriages in which the vows are more binding than the feelings. I think she was already looking for a way out.
Agree!
Yes, obviously her feelings had changed along the way and she was grasping at straws to try and find a negative.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think that she cared and even loved him, but was also a realist and antagonist. The stress of their dying business might have played a part in their arguments and the thought of being cheated on made her thirsty for revenge. I can certainly see why so many readers think that their marriage was at an end, the reader didn't get much time to see why they got married in the first place, there's no recap of their first meeting and affection shown in the present. What we are given are two tightly wound up adults who have turned into themselves instead of each other during tough times.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”