Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Knowing that there was a life insurance policy on the leader of the Warhorse at the end of the book, do you think Larry had an accident or did he plan it?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think it was an accident. I am not sure whether he himself knew about it but then it would be somehow more complicated to think of it as an intentional accident. This is a nice discussion though. I would love to read the views of other participants.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think it was an accident. I don't think you could plan something like that. And if you thought about trying it, you would realize that there were risks to the others by doing so.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It was definitely an accident. The way he list his leg and hand must have been quite painful. It was not possible to plan that.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html

Post by LV2R »

It was a terrible accident and a bad way to die. I just thought Louise would have felt way sorrier about his condition and even want to be with him and talk to him before he lost consciousness.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

It was definitely an accident. The way it happened was too dependent on timing and circumtance for it to be planned. They needed the money but I don't think Larry would use his life like that, especially in such a gruesome and painful way. I'm not even sure if Larry knew about the life insurance policy because it seemed that Louise's dad kept it secret.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

LV2R wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 23:10 It was a terrible accident and a bad way to die. I just thought Louise would have felt way sorrier about his condition and even want to be with him and talk to him before he lost consciousness.
I agree with you. Louise was still hung up on her belief that Larry was cheating on her, even on his deathbed she kept this in the back of her mind.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 06:20 I think it was an accident. I am not sure whether he himself knew about it but then it would be somehow more complicated to think of it as an intentional accident. This is a nice discussion though. I would love to read the views of other participants.
I agree but the fortuitous appearance of the life insuarance still looked suspicious after Larry 'accidentally died.'
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 01:14 It was definitely an accident. The way it happened was too dependent on timing and circumtance for it to be planned. They needed the money but I don't think Larry would use his life like that, especially in such a gruesome and painful way. I'm not even sure if Larry knew about the life insurance policy because it seemed that Louise's dad kept it secret.
But consider this, the way Larry got hurt was in his words "a rookie mistake." And he had spent a lot of time looking at the documents the previous owner had left. I think he found the life insurance and decided to ignore it less it be denied for a "rookie mistake."
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 01:14 It was definitely an accident. The way it happened was too dependent on timing and circumtance for it to be planned. They needed the money but I don't think Larry would use his life like that, especially in such a gruesome and painful way. I'm not even sure if Larry knew about the life insurance policy because it seemed that Louise's dad kept it secret.
But consider this, the way Larry got hurt was in his words "a rookie mistake." And he had spent a lot of time looking at the documents the previous owner had left. I think he found the life insurance and decided to ignore it less it be denied for a "rookie mistake."
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Hmm... I think it was real. Septic shock is a terrible way to die, especially since it took him several days to do it. If you were trying to die for the insurance money, I think you would pick a nicer way to go - a quick, clean accident, a beheading, an explosion, etc. Even drowning would be preferable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

evraealtana wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 10:22 Hmm... I think it was real. Septic shock is a terrible way to die, especially since it took him several days to do it. If you were trying to die for the insurance money, I think you would pick a nicer way to go - a quick, clean accident, a beheading, an explosion, etc. Even drowning would be preferable.
Question is, did he know his hand and leg would be amputated or was he hoping for a quick death and blundered that? Remember, no one could predict the path the cable would take for certain, all Larry had to do was present himself close enough and hope for a quick death.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think it was an accident. The money from salvaging the Express was supposed to save their business, so there was no need for Larry to stage his accident. The money from his life insurance was indeed helpful by allowing Louise to pay their crew sooner, but I don't think their business was depending on it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:25 I think it was an accident. The money from salvaging the Express was supposed to save their business, so there was no need for Larry to stage his accident. The money from his life insurance was indeed helpful by allowing Louise to pay their crew sooner, but I don't think their business was depending on it.
What makes me question this is Larry feeling like he hadn't given Louise the life she deserved, and seeing Buckhorn's tugs circling their claim on the Express I am not 100% certain that it was an accident.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

It seems like an accident, however unfortunate it may seem. Still, Larry is a kind of character that keeps the reader questioning till the end.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”