ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Sydney's Passion

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Garrett
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Coaching Conversations That Count
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Emily Garrett of Sydney's Passion

Post by Emily Garrett »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Sydney's Passion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book was about a fourteen-year-old girl and her best friend and their passion for horse racing. The book takes place on a Kentucky horse ranch. The focus of the story is on several aspects in the girls’ lives that includes bullying, family relationships, interacting with younger siblings, death of a family member, forgiveness, relationships with school administration and other students at school. The audience is young adults.

The protagonist and her friend set out to break through community norms through a planned set of actions, requiring secrecy and the trust of just a few people. In another area of the story, the protagonist is bullied at school and proves herself to be able to defend herself adequately. However, school administrators blame her for getting the better of her tormentor, even though she tried her best to avoid each situation. Her father is a good guy, and does his best to stand up for her.

I like that the book is family based and includes several families who support each other. I also like the faith-based aspect of the book. The deceased grandfather’s teachings about things happening for a reason are mentioned several times in the book. There are also visits from heaven, which the characters really appreciated and had enough faith to embrace them. There are a number of positive messages that are demonstrated in the book, although I don’t think most people are so easily forgiving and willing to do for others as the book suggests with the story. It’s a nice idea, though.

It’s not the kind of book I normally read, but I like the young female protagonist, and the fact that she is a strong, positive character, not perfect, but willing to defend herself and stand up for other people.

I gave this book a rating of 3 out of 5. I loved the basis for the story as explained above, and the couple of twists in the story. However, the book needs some editing and that is a distraction for me when I am reading. It moves back and forth between third person and first person, which I found confusing. Sometimes it wasn’t clear who was speaking, plus there were typos and some other editing issues that could be remedied.

View Sydney's Passion on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”