ARA Review by Claire Keogh of In It Together

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claire Keogh
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Claire Keogh of In It Together

Post by Claire Keogh »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, In It Together.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In it Together, the Beautiful Struggle Uniting us All, is a new book filled with philosophy and philosophical thought for the 21st century from author Eckhart Aurelius Hughes. It ranges from the sublime to the profound and the author is varied in his literary, historical, and scientific references and philosophical thoughts. But always he stays profound, thoughtful, and completely knowledgeable. He notices self-serving politicians and their motivation, children who are dying in other parts of the world, fictional vampires who haunt collective imaginary nightmares, and feminist thinkers who have died years before Martin Luther King was assassinated.

The author brings popular culture references to difficult subjects and is at ease mentioning Star Wars in the same sentence as the tragedy of Hiroshima. The author says the book looks to warm without burning, illuminate without blinding, free without infringing, save without imposing. A profile he wants the reader to bring is an open mind so that they can engage with his words in a suitable fashion. He knows that some people will resonate with the words more than others, but it is the author's wish that everyone receives help from the words in his book.

He mentions that the enemy within can be the many “yous” inside a person, which may include a certain amount of self-talk but also includes consciousness, ego, and the knowledge of the body. He notices that obesity is a major problem and that it is the exact opposite of dying of starvation which also happens in other parts of the world.

The author quotes neuroscientist Sam Harris who says that “consciousness is the one thing in this universe that cannot be an illusion.” This is a prospect that Descartes might have agreed with when he famously said in his meditations, “I think therefore I am.” Of course, while Descartes was writing several hundred years ago, the philosopher who authored this book used technology as his image of choice, at least technological language about computers which are a modern-day concept, which brings the idea of the book into clear focus. The beautiful struggle which unites us all appears to me to be the technological struggle between computers and technology and the self, and the other.

I think the author is saying that at least one of the “yous” which exists in each of us is not human, but rather beyond human or metaphysical, part of the intrinsic consciousness that exists outside of us and unites us all.

I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars because I think it is an excellent read, and I think it would be suitable for anyone who reads philosophy, religion or spiritual books.

View In It Together on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”