ARA Review by bensuhrie of The Warramunga's War

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bensuhrie
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by bensuhrie of The Warramunga's War

Post by bensuhrie »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Warramunga's War.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War, written by Greg Kater, takes us into the world of army officer Jamie Munro and NCO Jacko O'Brien. They are friends who fight against the Vichy French in World War II during the Syrian campaign, one of the least known Australian operations of this war. After Jacko saves an injured Jamie, they are assigned to pursue German spies in Cairo. As the story progresses, they recognize that there's more to this mission and this fight than meets the eye.

I greatly enjoyed reading this book, but it's definitely not for everyone. I would recommend those interested to read a section or two of the novel before deciding - you'll probably know immediately if you would like this particular account.

The Warramunga's War is written in third person omniscient, which helps to portray the friendship between the two men that develops across continents and over many years. Their activities in Germany form a precedent for tracking down criminals upon their return to Australia. The author includes information about tactics of the Warramunga, opening a view into the culture and legend of this otherwise obscure tribe.

Readers are taken to the wartime efforts of Australia in 1941. Different factions are portrayed in the war, with different characters risking their lives for freedom. Kater's writing style is simultaneously educational and informative; Jamie and Jacko are often part of humorous situations that provide relief from the harsh nature of war. I particularly enjoyed The Warramunga's War because if offers a unique perspective into the lives of soldiers working behind the scenes to subvert the German army. Many of the characters are vividly described, so it was easy to imagine the interactions that took place throughout this spy thriller.

Some parts are difficult to read through because of the events included in this account of Australian war spies. A few detailed descriptions of murder and rape seem misplaced in an otherwise lighthearted romp through enemy territory. Although the two main characters are quite engaging and colorful, minor characters with two-dimensional personalities are more or less interchangeable.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I appreciated learning more about the role of Australia during the Second World War and the types of heroes who were a part of it. However, I found it to be a bit lengthy and felt it didn't completely fulfill its role as historical fiction. If The Warramunga's War had been a little less focused on social commentary and subplots and more centered on Australia's role in World War II, I would have rated it 5 stars.

The Warramunga's War will probably not appeal to all readers. People interested in military history might want to take a look. Additionally, those who enjoy books with lively characters and complex protagonists should give it a chance. Women are not always portrayed in a respectful light, as many scenes focus on those employed as belly-dancers or working as prostitutes. It would have been perhaps more tasteful and less offensive to feature female characters who were involved in the war meaningfully to a great extent. Again, I would recommend that anyone interested in historical fiction read a free sample before purchasing.

View The Warramunga's War on Bookshelves
bensuhrie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bensuhrie »

CORRECTION: Line 4 of paragraph 4 should read: "it offers a unique perspective"
Last edited by bensuhrie on 19 Aug 2022, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”