ARA Review by drewhead118 of Free Fish Friday

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
drewhead118
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by drewhead118 of Free Fish Friday

Post by drewhead118 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Free Fish Friday.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If Agatha Christie had a half-dozen fishing tournament wins to her name, she might well have written Free Fish Friday, a quaint and charming whodunnit taking place in idyllic Key West, Florida. Slacker Mills is the region’s most famous and accomplished fisherman, and the name largely fits. Content to sit on the waves just about every day of his life, Slacker settles into a comfortable routine in Key West. There, he finds a tight-knit community of friendly faces, tasty fish, lazy days by the water, and a future he could certainly get used to. But when a body is found floating in the marina under suspicious circumstances, the entirety of the island is turned upside down—and being the prime suspect for murder can certainly take the wind from your sails.

Author Lee Stone sets the story in the first-person perspective of Slacker Mills, and Slacker’s head makes for a fun perspective. Through his eyes, we learn all about the culture of Key West, a place that immediately feels endearing even if you’ve never set foot anywhere near it. I felt as though I knew what it would be like to enjoy one of the local Free Fish Fridays… the community really came to life in a way that is absolutely commendable.

Stone also introduces the reader to a wide cast of some memorable and fun characters. These are not just underdeveloped statues that advance the novel’s mystery along… each supporting character feels distinct, memorable, and immediately recognizable. We’ve all met a Honey before! Slacker himself is an ocean mirage: at first he seems simple, but, as the book continues, you learn about some fascinating hidden depths. I was at times a little frustrated with his dishonesty and omissions in the midst of a crime investigation, but characters tend to be more interesting when flawed anyways.

It should be noted that I have zero personal interest in fishing. Never held a fishing pole, nor do I ever plan to. That being said, I found this book still very enjoyable! Every character’s love of fishing bleeds off the pages, and, after a fashion, it’s almost unavoidably contagious. After reading this book, I realized just how large a culture fishing really can entail! The book discusses relationships between captains, charters, and deckhands; seasonal businesses and the ebb and flow of tourist traffic; even something as retrospectively obvious as the closely guarded secret of an ideal fishing spot. Before this book, I’d never really given most of those things a thought!

The writing is good, and, at times, even nearing brilliant. There were a couple minor typos, but the editing was otherwise strong. A few character motivations are compelling and unexpectedly deep. The central mystery is wound tight and unfolds satisfyingly, keeping the reader guessing and scratching their head. Small details from early on are brought back as rewarding callbacks; the end resolution feels obvious, but wasn’t something I saw coming. For all of these things, I’d give Free Fish Friday a full five out of five stars. Fans of the mystery genre should find plenty to enjoy in this book, whether or not they’re fish fans themselves.

View Free Fish Friday on Bookshelves
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a fascinating review! I too enjoyed Slacker and his fishy ways.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”