ARA Review by bstanzell of Free Fish Friday

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bstanzell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by bstanzell of Free Fish Friday

Post by bstanzell »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Free Fish Friday.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Free Fish Friday was a familiar friend that I couldn’t put down. Slacker Mills is a Duluth, MN native who has spent is adulthood on the ocean fishing for trophies before landing at the End of the Road Motel in Key West. As a MN native myself, and from nearby Duluth to boot, I felt an immediate kinship to the great fisherman, Slacker. I also enjoy Key West immensely and enjoyed a familiar yet exotic setting.

Similar to many murder mystery types, Slacker lives a fairly simple and solitary life while still maintaining a larger than life reputation. I compare him to the Key West fishing version of James Qwilleran from the Cat Who books. Slacker is the manager of a rundown motel where his tenant rent by the month. He does absolutely nothing to keep up the place which only highlights why he has the nickname he does. His best friend, Jerry Porter, takes him aboard his boat, The Ayudame[i/], every day for ocean fishing. Never talking about himself, Jerry asks Slacker along with all of the regulars at the Rusty Hook Tavern questions about themselves. Jerry is beloved by all and hated by none. When Jerry turns up dead due to a suspected homicide, Key West is turned upside down. The dark sides of most of the formerly likable characters come to light. Jerry’s own past brings more turmoil to an already hurting town. Only the resolution of his untimely death will begin to put Slackers life back in order.

The characters in this book are by far my favorite. They are so three dimensional, showing good and bad traits. The true nature of suspicion and assumptions turns Slacker’s friends into enemies. I think it highlights the mob mentality of people perfectly when they come to conclusions about a situation before having all of the facts. People can be so cruel when wanting to prove they have the latest news. In today’s day of social media, it highlights exactly what happens when you decide to blame your neighbor before hearing the entire truth. It was a refreshing read.

I don’t often give five star reviews. I read so many books that many just don’t hook me in and keep me wanting more. I am pleased to say this isn’t one of those that lets me down. I had to buy the sequel as soon as I finished this book to continue with the tale of the Great Slacker Mills. I earnestly believe this book deserves all five of the stars I award it.

If you are a reader who enjoys an intriguing yet realistic mystery, this is for you. Lee Stone throws the bait and hooks his readers in one cast. I hope to read more of his books as they keep you coming back for more. I give it 5/5 stars.

View Free Fish Friday on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”