ARA Review by Marina Peters of E-M-P Honeymoon

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marina Peters
Currently Reading: Zu nahe am Revisor
Bookshelf Size: 6

ARA Review by Marina Peters of E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by Marina Peters »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, E-M-P Honeymoon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer tells the story of a couple, Kelly and Tom, enjoying its honeymoon trip on a vacation resort in Honduras. One day Kelly detects by coincidence a shop disguising a covered operation that makes her think that something big and bad is going on. She tells her husband, a cop, and they connect to her brother, a US Senator.

Getting support from there they have to give up their relaxing beach holiday for stopping terrorists planning to attack the USA with an electro-magnetic pulse (therefrom: “E M P”). There is something really big, James Bond-like terrorist setting going on. You also will make the acquaintance of the main villain and his right hand. There is a strong similarity to a well-known living person. However, naturally, any resemblance, I guess, is purely coincidental.

When reading E M P Honeymoon, I very much enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek style and the easy-going reading. You know from the first lines that you will like the book – not for its insightful thinking or serious pondering but for its light-weight reading. The whole story is easy to follow but also shows some interesting turns and twists. Good and bad are clearly separated in this book and easy to tell apart. The book is just ideal for a beach vacation to be read in a day or two. Also if you are at home and dreaming of a vacation on a sunny beach, of sipping your “Sex on the Beach”, of blinking under the warming and glistening sun, of listening to the swaying palm trees, of feeling the white sand trickling through your feet – then this is the right book for you.

E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is a light-hearted kind of spy story that often makes you laugh. It’s a great mixture of romance, thriller and sometimes comedy. The book is driving forward and keeps you reading its fast-pacing developing story. It is nicely cut down into small chapter pieces. As I learned only after having finished the book, it is part of a series. Some of the main characters are starring in other books of Mrs. Mercer. So, this led me to the conclusion that the book can easily be consumed as a standalone reader, I had no problems with understanding and did not feel I was lacking knowledge on the characters or previous stories.

I give EMP Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer 4 out of 5 possible stars for being funny, easy to read, and developing a well-researched and thrilling storyline. It is quite a nice and easy page-turner. The fifth and last star would have been given if the book was longer and would go somewhat more in-depth. I would have liked to get something more out of it; some more substance had been nice, also the characters are quite “flat”. The book as it is, is, however, a fun distraction with nothing to make you really think but also with nothing to burden you. You will feel well after having read the book.

View E-M-P Honeymoon on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”