ARA Review by hsprings of Prophase

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hsprings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88

ARA Review by hsprings of Prophase

Post by hsprings »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Prophase.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Prophase by M. Street is a young adult fantasy novel that’ll blow your mind and wow your senses with beautiful imagery. The story follows the transformation of Piper Walker, an average high school senior who awakens into a new version of reality and an entirely new destiny. Possibilities unfold like an endless scroll, but Piper’s destiny has more set in stone than she knows. She practices her powers, as she effortlessly handles her now simple high school life, and spends her spare moments harnessing the energy and mystical strengths she will need to put her new world to rights. An enthralling love interest and the most supportive of friends mix with another world of loved ones that calls to her soul. Everything comes to a head in an epic battle in which Piper simultaneously gains it all, yet loses everything.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars, because it was a brilliant story with expertly crafted plot, character development, and mystique. In short, it was everything a fantasy novel ought to be. The first thing I particularly enjoyed about this read was the vivid descriptions of the vibrant, dazzling colors of everyone’s auras. The words painted such clear, enchanting images in my mind, the mark of true writing talent. I am somewhat in awe of the majority of the writing in this book. The colorful detail and beautiful descriptors are things I will endeavor to emulate in my own writing. I also had a soft spot for one character in particular, Piper’s best friend, Lisa. I adore her bouncy, genuine attitude and appreciate her unflinching loyalty to Piper. Lisa reminds me of my own main character’s bestie, a super kind, genuine cheerleader.

One thing I will mention in the interest of being helpful and improving upon further books by M. Street. There were some glaringly obvious discrepancies i.e., transitioning between present tense and past tense. I definitely understand the trickiness of these errors, having struggled for a very long time with this problem myself. Just something to keep in mind and get straightened out later on. I also noticed that “said” was used frequently instead of more interesting dialogue tags such as “yelped” or “squawked.” I did not feel that these minor details detracted from the general gloriousness of the story itself, though.

Prophase itself was a tiny bit long for most genres, though that is extremely typical of fantasy novels and something I honestly prefer. I enjoy lengthy books that draw me in and make me feel as though I am part of the story, which is exactly what this novel did. I am super thankful it is part of a series. I can’t wait to read more about Piper’s life, loves, and brand new world.

In sum, this book was an entrancing, awe-inspiring tale of friendship, unity, and embracing one’s destiny, no matter how shockingly unusual it may seem. The message is clear. Follow your heart and trust in your gut. I am thrilled to have read Prophase!

View Prophase on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”