ARA Review by Tskibell47 of Bluewater Walkabout

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tskibell47
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Tskibell47 of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Tskibell47 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Bluewater Walkabout.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout Into Africa takes the reader along a special journey. As I read this book I became part of that journey, surviving storms at sea, hikes to the falls of Grenada and many places in between.

The story also shares a family experience in world famous Kruger Park in South Africa. Searching for the Big Five (rhinoceros, elephant, buffalo, lion and tiger) Peter, Tina and their two teenage sons explore on their own in hopes of observing these five, the goal of most tourists in South Africa. I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s detailed accounting of the family’s efforts to explore the park without a guide just a few days before departing on an epic voyage from South Africa to Brazil then to the Caribbean on a 42 foot catamaran. The journey for the Big Five is filled with peril, at times, and laughter at other moments, climaxing with a buffalo encounter that was truly unexpected by all. I never thought the personalities of baboons and buffalo were so interesting.

Bluewater Walkabout is truly about more than a journey through a park and then across an ocean. It is also a journey in life. Author Tina Dreffin does not hold back in sharing her story of struggles of her early adult life and how a man with a dream of travelling the oceans of the world brought her courage and fulfillment. The risks that the family takes travelling through challenging weather conditions will have the reader on edge.

Simple but important things like patience in waiting for optimal weather conditions are discussed. Disagreements emerge as to choices to be made are shared. All of this makes the story very realistic. So are the worries experienced. At one point the author asks herself: “Too rough for me? Had I lost my inner battle with the sea… with myself?” This human twist made the story something which I could fully relate to.

Similarly, Ms. Dreffin’s description of her home schooled boys’ adventures complements the family’s personality. Her worries over their bravado are very real particularly as her surfer sons take on the very dangerous surf off the South African coast. Ms. Dreffins’ use of a scope on a camera to scan the ocean for sharks as they surf says it all. The family’s motto of think first, at least most of the time, have no fear and become part of the solution when challenges arise will captivate all who read this story.

I thoroughly enjoyed this well written and extremely honest report of a journey for a family and particularly for the author. Her enthusiasm for the ocean will wear off on readers who have some uncertainty about traveling in the blue water, as it is described. I rate this book five stars out of five stars for the many reasons already expressed but mostly for the fact that, for a brief read, I happily walked along with this family, jumped into the water, cast a fishing line and pulled in a jig sail all in my mind.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”