ARA Review by TheDinosaurLawyer of Free Fish Friday

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheDinosaurLawyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by TheDinosaurLawyer of Free Fish Friday

Post by TheDinosaurLawyer »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Free Fish Friday.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Free Fish Friday – 5 out of 5 stars

Summary:
Slacker, a thirty year old talented fisherman, who reminds me quite a bit of “the Dude,” winds up in the keys trying to live in semi-retirement and just fish. He befriends an older guy, Jerry, who ends up having a huge impact on the small town where they spend five years together. Jerry is killed and the book is part murder mystery, and part beach town community story. The subplot involves cheating spouses, which isn’t really the strongest backdrop for a murder mystery, but the backstory of the characters kind of pulls it together.

I wasn’t drawn to the title or the cover, but am happy that I read the book. I started on a Monday afternoon and finished straight through before Monday evening. It wasn’t a frantic page turner, but I felt transported to the Keys. I kept picturing my favorite local fish place, Mitch’s Seafood in San Diego whenever they were at the Rusty Hook. I could smell the fish, I could taste it, I could feel the sunburn – and that’s why I gave this book 5 stars.

The book did have a few pacing problems, I would have given it 4.5 stars if that was an option, but it was a good read that I could easily recommend to someone. This is a perfect book to read on the airplane on your way to a beach town, or at the beach.

The book was well edited, I would have killed a few hads and exclamation marks during a final edit (if I could have caught them), but nothing tripped me up, except maybe Slacker’s flashback to the fateful day. I missed it being a flashback, but guessed it was, and was proven right. Could have been reader error for missing one line, or could have been a minor story error. This seems professionally edited.

Overall, Jerry and Slacker were great characters. The sub plot with Devan could have been brought more to the forefront, a bit more with her and Jordan, but the interactions with the characters played out well. The characters were a big strong suit and I’m interested in the next book in the series. I’ll take a look at it and if it’s the same theme, I’ll have a book to take to the beach. Right now, I need to go get some fish tacos…

View Free Fish Friday on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”