ARA Review by Aaron D Key of Ironbark Hill

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aaron D Key
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Aaron D Key of Ironbark Hill

Post by Aaron D Key »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Ironbark Hill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book tells the tale of Natalie, a young girl of fifteen at the start of the book proper, living in basic conditions in the 1950s. Her family live on her Grandad’s farm which has gone to seed since he grew old and arthritic and her mother married a drunkard who has lost all self-respect since the death of his son which would have been prevented if he had not already begun to neglect his duties.

Natalie lives with her mother, stepfather, brother, and two step sisters as well as her invalid Grandfather. She wishes that her own dad, half aborigine, was still alive. Those were better times. She admires the way that her mother keeps the family together and does her bit to help, while at the same time dreaming of a better life. Natalie also acts as a general servant to a family who live in the nearby town. The wife inspires her with her vitality and love of painting and theatre. The husband inspires her in a different way and this gives me the one unsettling regret with the story. But it is only a regret if you take the modern view that life is to be seized and squeezed like an orange until every drop of juice has been extracted. In a way this story gives a different view of the calm acceptance of what life offers and I aspire to this, though not very successfully.

The story tells in beautiful prose the tale of Natalie's life, her family, her hopes and dreams, the land that she lives in. There are two main obstacles that she has to overcome and (without giving anything away) these are overcome in a satisfying though drastic way.

This book is beautifully exquisite to read. There is not a single sentence out of place. All the way through the book there is a brooding sense of menace which insists that you read on and find out what is going to happen.

Even some of the decisions that Natalie makes that you are sure are going to end in disaster, doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the tale unfolding. I had the feeling all the way through this book that I was being allowed a special treat to read it. The pacing was just right. Layers of layers of detail added on like one of the oil paintings that Natalie ends up painting. Just like through one of these paintings you begin to feel the love of the land, a calm acceptance and understanding of the place of humans in this land.

I agree entirely with the reviewer who said that the cover lets this book down. I thought I was about to read a story from the stone age judging only from the picture. I can imagine this story as an oscar winning film. It was a visual book and I loved it with a passion. Consumed in three sittings. Each one parted with intense regret. For this reason I will give IronBark Hill 5 out of 5.

View Ironbark Hill on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”