What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Re: What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm always a fan of hearing stories about people getting out of dangerous situations in clever ways, so the mugging anecdote stands out to me as well.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 02:40 I enjoyed the author's crafty way of preventing himself from being mugged. What experience or statement in this book stood out to you, hillarious or introspective?
I liked Richard's encounter with Jesus Christ and his experience with Isness. Those encounters stood out to me.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

There wasn't anything particular that made me laugh. Though, the thing that stood out the most for me was the author's description of his role on earth.
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:47 I loved the part where he pretended to be a coyote and tried to scare the neighbor girl while she was out riding her horse. By the time it was over, his brother really thought there was a coyote and wouldn’t believe that he was behind the prank! Hilarious and an impressive message on how the mind can play tricks on us.
I definitely agree this was a standout moment in the book :lol2:
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 10:47 I loved the part where he pretended to be a coyote and tried to scare the neighbor girl while she was out riding her horse. By the time it was over, his brother really thought there was a coyote and wouldn’t believe that he was behind the prank! Hilarious and an impressive message on how the mind can play tricks on us.
I loved that story! It really illustrated the point he was trying to make in that section and his description of the events was hilarious.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still laughing at myself for thinking that there was some special power that dealt with the car key of another vehicle type opening the door of his car. I could not have told that the key lock had not been repaired hence any key could open it. I also anticipated for the door of the car to open when Richard took Tim along with him to prove that he was right.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I loved the instance where he mimicked the coyotes and his brother was convinced he had actually seen a mother coyote and her babies!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I cannot imagine someone cooking bugs, and then they begin to smell like chicken. The wife of the author enjoyed eating them. This was funny indeed. I am sure that she would never have cooked or even thought about them herself.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I connected to the portion where he went into the forest and came out with an understanding of how little is needed to be happy. I try to live a minimalist lifestyle and this really hit home.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

fictaddict wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 14:03
Delaney35 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 12:30
PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:50 This example isn't funny but it is ironic and I love it. He was in special education classes and had a learning disorder so reading was very hard for him. His best friend inspired him to read and helped him get better at it. And now, he is an author!
I totally agree! His book was even self-published so I'm sure he did a lot of the editing on his own and the book was almost grammatical perfect.
Quite a few young students who were classed as learning disability or special ed have ended up becoming prolific readers and even authors as adults. It's really impressive, and speaks well of the young student AND their English teachers and tutors.
Wow! Self published and grammatically correct! That's impressive and makes me want to read his book that much more!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I laughed several times while reading the book. One particular incident was when his instructor tried to experiment with hitting him when he was meditating.
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

His writing style was quit funny and the part when he was told he would go to hell was quit funny. I just wondered how a child would be told that and what was going through his mind when he heard that.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I also enjoyed that part of the book. It was probably one of my favorite parts. I did have a little laugh over that one. To me, he just called the other guys bluff. The mugger expected him to be scared and was shocked that he was so calm and stood up to him. Loved it.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Dusamae wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 20:50 I also enjoyed that part of the book. It was probably one of my favorite parts. I did have a little laugh over that one. To me, he just called the other guys bluff. The mugger expected him to be scared and was shocked that he was so calm and stood up to him. Loved it.
You cannot imagine what you would have done if that could have been you. I have been trying to think how my response would have been. I guess the mugger was as surprised as we are too.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

His experience in the Amazon stood out the most for me. It is something that I read for the first time; using hallucinogens for guidance, and the one that made me laugh was of him pretending to be a coyote and scaring the children of his neighborhood away. It was hilarious, and I've seen many kids who, even after they're told they are wrong, believe what they saw or did was right and are very stubborn.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”