What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: What experience of the author's stood out to you the most or made you laugh?

Post by PGreen »

briellejee wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 22:22 I liked the same part as yours, but what stuck with me the most is the part about the Bible and his dad's explanation with it. As born into a Christian family, I wished someone explained that to me back then rather than telling us that we would burn in hell if we wouldn't. Fear is a motivator, but l think love succeeds all.
Same story for me! He was fortunate to have a father who sat down and logically worked through the subject of hell with him.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

PGreen wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 13:17
briellejee wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 22:22 I liked the same part as yours, but what stuck with me the most is the part about the Bible and his dad's explanation with it. As born into a Christian family, I wished someone explained that to me back then rather than telling us that we would burn in hell if we wouldn't. Fear is a motivator, but l think love succeeds all.
Same story for me! He was fortunate to have a father who sat down and logically worked through the subject of hell with him.
That moment alone was really life-changing. I think it helped the author in being open-minded in most things in life.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

One thing that appeared funny was how he disliked reading at school but took reading the Bible very seriously and without fail. I wonder if the fear of hell was the motivation or there was something else behind it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

As a christian, I have never at any one point believed just because of the fear of hell since God Himself is love and He draws us to Himself through love. In fact, the genesis of salvation is love. I tend to think that his father's message bordered on one extreme without bringing out the clear truth.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

I like that I can relate to this book. A whole lots of people preach hell and condemnation rather than love. The author's description of the "born again" woman character is quite humorous
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The author has: -Convinced a mugger to leave him, by words alone
- Had a case of "exploding out of both ends" after eating a salad made from diarrhea-causing bacteria
- been willing to sit through an excruciatingly painful massage treatment so that he would not offend his friend, Jane.
- at 8 yrs old, mrs. Pacetti told him to convert his family to born again Christians OR they would burn in hell (even other denominations)
- described police raiding his farm as pimps and thugs with guns
-committed himself to reading a book even with a reading disorder
- Scared a girl witless by pretending to be a coyote.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

There were a few situations of introspection by Richard which intrigued me. I was greatly intrigued by Richard's understanding of God as someone who cannot be biased with regards to someone's faith.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 01:42
As a christian, I have never at any one point believed just because of the fear of hell since God Himself is love and He draws us to Himself through love. In fact, the genesis of salvation is love. I tend to think that his father's message bordered on one extreme without bringing out the clear truth.
Considering his age, one would be also confused and afraid of hell when people around them tell that one side of the bible.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Helen91 wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 03:28 I like that I can relate to this book. A whole lots of people preach hell and condemnation rather than love. The author's description of the "born again" woman character is quite humorous
Yes! and then they wonder why people don't come to church with them. :doh:
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

His experience in the Amazon was the one that stood out the most to me. I found it remarkably courageous of him. Not only the expedition itself, but also ingesting a plant concoction to alter consciousness. :shock:
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

When he was convinced that he was a really good ax thrower and he would end up at the Olympics. 😂😂
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Joshua1994
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshua1994 »

The way he described his introduction to the bible and the born again woman who told them that they would all go to hell if they did not convert immediately, and then his description as to how his father showed him that this was probably incorrect as there were so many translations of the Bible and also that there were so many human beings on this earth who would go to hell because of their beliefs. :D
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I was so amused in the very beginning when Richard's friend had him convinced that Richard and the other friends were going to hell if they did not attend the Bible study. That was a lot of pressure to put on a group on young kids. :D
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

His way in protecting himself from being mugged was funny. ironic and funny.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am equally amazed by all of Richard's adventures because it seems he was easily capable of jet-setting off to any location he desired any time he felt the urge. I often found myself wondering how he made all of this possible.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”