The Role of Tim in Richard's Life

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Bhagyashree Jain
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhagyashree-jain.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Re: The Role of Tim in Richard's Life

Post by Bhagyashree Jain »

The fact that Tim never forced him to read and gradually created an interest towards reading is essential towards the bonding between the two. Tim indirectly played a catalyst in boosting the author's confidence and helping him believe that with persistence, hurdles can be overcome.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Tim seemed to have a great impact on Richard's life. I wonder if he didn't include him in the acknowledgement because he mentioned how vital he was in the actual book and didn't feel a need to thank him or talk about his influence more than once since he was doing it in the actual body of the book.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

That's a good point. The fact that he mentions Tim in the book is really important. Maybe more important than being in the acknowledgments.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

Maybe the author felt like what he wrote about Tim in the book was enough and that there was no need to acknowledge him in the acknowledgements as those are usually reserved for people who helped the author with writing the book, not really with life.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Just started reading this book, but I am curious as to where Richard's parents were while he was spending long hours, day after day, playing video games in the company of an older boy. Tim's behavior seems off to me and the relationship suspect. Richard simply states, "he moved". It would seem that he might have included more details about the separation. Then, he switches friendship to a 60 year old. How did the parents not know that their ranch hand was cooking meth in a trailer behind the barn?
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

Based off of the impact that Tim had on Richard's life, I would not think he would be a coincidence. Without the help that Tim gave him, it would have been interesting to see how his life developed, and because I think it would have changed drastically I believe Tim was definitely a destiny helper.
Also, like others have mentioned, Richard might not have felt the need to mention Tim in the acknowledgements because he had already discussed the importance of his help within the book itself.
Lana Shea
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lana-shea.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Lana Shea »

I agree that Tim was a huge influence on him as a child. I wonder if they are still in touch today? I also think that since he was mentioned in the book it shows his importance to Richard, whether he was in the acknowledgment or not.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Nothing's coincidence. We meet the people we are supposed to meet when we're supposed to meet them, so that they can help us shape ourselves and our lives.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Jessacardinal wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 17:04 I do not think Tim was a coincidence in Richard's life. There is a reason for every single person who comes into or through our lives. Sometimes this a long-term life-long reason and sometimes they are mearly passing through. Nonetheless, there is something to be learned with every meeting we have. I believe Tim had a positive effect on Richard's life, as Richard went from not being able to read a book to becoming an author.
Wow. I completely believe in your train of thought. Every person plays a role in our lives. If not for Tim, Richard's life would be a lot different.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Tim was the one who slowly but gradually helped Richard to overcome his learning disability. He was the one who introduced Richard to the wonderful world of books. He also advised him to get his high school degree early. Hence, Tim definitely was a part of the great plan for Richard.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Bluebird03 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:15 I think Tim was very instrumental in helping Richard overcome his difficulty with reading and to help him become confident with books. I liked Tim's approach to just point out books Richard might like and then to lend him books as Richard was ready for them. I think that the thoughtful way Richard wrote of his friend and telling how much he meant to him in his growth was acknowledgement enough.
It was definitely thoughtful. Many a times, we tend to forget about people without whom our lives would not have been the same. Without Tim, Richard's life definitely would not have been the same.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

mmm17 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 17:11 Interesting point! I also felt that Tim was a vital element and acted like a catalyst in the author's life. He intervened when Richard was young and vulnerable, and helped him overcome his learning disabilities. Tim was a true mentor. My heart goes out to people like him, who empower others. They do make the world a better place.
True. People like Him make the world a better place. He went out of his way to help Richard.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

bhagyashree013 wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 06:28 The fact that Tim never forced him to read and gradually created an interest towards reading is essential towards the bonding between the two. Tim indirectly played a catalyst in boosting the author's confidence and helping him believe that with persistence, hurdles can be overcome.
That is what I liked about Tim. He never forced. He gradually developed the passion for reading in Richard. Tim definitely was a catalyst in the author's life.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Lana Shea wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 08:00 I agree that Tim was a huge influence on him as a child. I wonder if they are still in touch today? I also think that since he was mentioned in the book it shows his importance to Richard, whether he was in the acknowledgment or not.
I was wondering about the same thing as well. I wish to know Tim's present position.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

I think many of us are lucky enough to have a mentor and helper like that. These helpers influence us more than they know, usually. So yeah, it would be a little strange not to thank him in the acknowledgements. Maybe mentioning him in the book was a thank-you?

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”