Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Re: Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Post by mmm17 »

I liked Jacko's humour and his Aussie slang. I enjoyed him saying “They taught us how to defend ourselves at school in Charters Towers. It was fair dinkum necessary at the time.”
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

mmm17 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:25 I liked Jacko's humour and his Aussie slang. I enjoyed him saying “They taught us how to defend ourselves at school in Charters Towers. It was fair dinkum necessary at the time.”
I agree. It also adds a genuine touch to his character whenever he uses the Aussie slang - which by the way I also find hard to understand.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 03:05 I don't think humor was one of the major themes, but just an aspect of the book - and a good one at that. Jacko's character was superbly done to ease and lighten the major theme of the book which is war. And as for my favorite line of his, I don't think I have one that really got me cackling. I just like his humorous tone, especially when talking to Jamie.
I agree with you completely!
Dic45ta
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Surviving Life As An Actor
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dic45ta.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Dic45ta »

I think the author inserted humor to make the story more likable. It's not the central idea of the story.
Remember to love yourself every day. I Love You.
💜💜💜💜.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

I don't think humor was a major theme but it was present several times throughout the story. It was more of a dry witty humor. Times like when Jacko and the female spies like Fifi met to discuss their plans. The humor during their meetings kept the conversations lively and interesting. Jacko also had a great sense of humor, perhaps to lighten the seriousness of what was really happening.
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

Jacko was the funniest character in the book he brought light in the midst of darkness in the book for me he is perfect.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 23:34
KristyKhem wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:20 I don't think humor was a main theme in the book. War was the main theme, but I think humor was exclusive to Jacko's character. This definitely made him more interesting to read about!
Agreed! I think what made people think that humor was a major theme was because most of the readers are drawn to Jacko's wit and humor. We all liked him and that made him the center of the book, somehow.
I agree that Jacko is a great character and many people liked him and his sense if humor. Still, I don't think it's acurate to say that humor was the major theme, because it wasn't. It was just a means to achieve a more realistic portrait of characters. People didn't lose their sense of humor just because of the war. Just like they didn't stop enjoying good moments, like celebrating Christmas. Even in the book we witness some relationships develop.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

soccerts wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 07:19 I'm not sure it was a major theme. I saw it more as an appropriate counterpoint to the major theme of war. Although, I could see it as a minor theme. Through the darkness, we search for light and levity. The human will to carry on in spite of tragedy is what grants the victory, etc.
Couldn't have put that better. Well said, and so true. I like your style of writing, just by that one comment.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Swat3737 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 10:12 I loved the humor in this novel, it offset the darkness of war well. Generally I’m not a fan of war books but it was so good because Jacko was hilarious, I’m a big fan of Captain America so I loved how he called James “Cap” all the time. And just the overall wittiness of his dialogue.
His dialogue makes me laugh, too. Until now, I still remember his "cap" name to Jamie. "Hey, Cap, alright cap.:lol:"
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Dic45ta wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 16:16 I think the author inserted humor to make the story more likable. It's not the central idea of the story.
👍👍👍👍 to make it not boring. without some jokes, it looks like attending a boring seminar.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Morgan Jones wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 06:51 Humor is always a nice, if not a necessary sometimes, touch to a novel which discusses serious theme. It just adds that natural element to the story and characters.
👍👍👍 to make it more interesting with thrills for catching the audience'attention. War stories seem so boring for me, but it relys on how it is being conveyed of.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Radiant3 wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 11:02 I don't think humor was a major theme but it was present several times throughout the story. It was more of a dry witty humor. Times like when Jacko and the female spies like Fifi met to discuss their plans. The humor during their meetings kept the conversations lively and interesting. Jacko also had a great sense of humor, perhaps to lighten the seriousness of what was really happening.
Speaking of which, I like it when Jacko wasn't the only one with witty humor. Some of the female spies have them too, making it not only a sole personality of Jacko. Also, it was indeed fun when some of them can counter Jacko's humor with another one. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 12:28
briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 23:34
Agreed! I think what made people think that humor was a major theme was because most of the readers are drawn to Jacko's wit and humor. We all liked him and that made him the center of the book, somehow.
I agree that Jacko is a great character and many people liked him and his sense if humor. Still, I don't think it's acurate to say that humor was the major theme, because it wasn't. It was just a means to achieve a more realistic portrait of characters. People didn't lose their sense of humor just because of the war. Just like they didn't stop enjoying good moments, like celebrating Christmas. Even in the book we witness some relationships develop.
I agree with your point that it was a means to achieve a realistic portrayal of a character. Indeed, it is a bit scarce to see humor in war books, but it is not impossible to have one because, just like you said, "they didn't stop enjoying good moments". :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat:
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

It takes talent to be funny and humorous, much more to have it written. And to inject humour in a very serious theme is amazing.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Misael wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 04:02 It takes talent to be funny and humorous, much more to have it written. And to inject humour in a very serious theme is amazing.
Yeah, Greg is really good at that. He knows how to pick the readers interest. Greg achieved it through Jacko's character.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”