Women Characters as Spies

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Re: Women Characters as Spies

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

Women spies can easily manipulate male soldier to spill out important information that can be use against enemies nations. In the eye of men, we woman, are innocent and inefficient, which is great when searching for useful information.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

It's clear that the women are portrayed as strong, and their looks are used to their advantage. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. In this circumstance, their appearance worked in their favour
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

The female spies were one of my favorite characters. they were independent, incredibly fearless and always had some intelligence to impart which even the protagonists lacked sometimes. So I was really satisfied that they got to play significant roles in the story.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Unfortunately, I find too often that women who are spies are successful because the authors sexualize them. Rarely are their characters portrayed with any depth or intelligence. Where male characters are often portrayed as the strategists who use brute strength and weaponry skills to succeed.
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

They were portrayed as strong, brave and good women. Sadly, the character development wasn't evident. For instance, Sarah was really important in capturing the thieves, but there is no psychological development of her character. She only says "orright orright". A terrible flaw, IMHO.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Charlyt wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 10:36 In your opinion, how were the women portrayed in the story? The German spies used belly dancers like Yasmina and Fahmy, and our main characters used prostitues like Fifi and Yvette, all to spy for their side's advantage.

Were the women portrayed to be independent and brave to be working as important assets to help win the war? Or were they depicted as easily manipulated and useful for their physical capabilities and characteristics?

Did you find them smart and fearless, or decietful and manipulative?
The women in this novel also captured a lot of my attention, but for good reason. I personally enjoyed their involvement in the war and all the side projects, and I believe they were no more manipulative than the male characters in the book.

Jacko and Jamie were constantly creeping around, breaking into places, donning disguises, gathering data from mutual friends, etc. Matt was especially manipulative (and crazy, evil, etc.) I think the women played their parts well. For one, they have an entirely different skill set/profession than the men, who were trained combatants. These women, who were generally friendly with everyone as inhabitants of the town, were some of the least suspicious characters. I don't find this controversial but rather an example of using your experiences to your advantage. So, I surely found these women brave and smart as well as deceitful/manipulative -- pretty much the same as the male characters.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

While the belly dancers were young girls who did what they were told to do, the prostitutes were actually intelligent, strong women. They were instrumental in bringing success to the operation. They came up with their own ideas, gave suggestions, cautioned danger. They could take care of themselves. Our heroes sometimes looked like little boys in front of them.
The use of women was a reality of war that the author portrayed in the story. It was not something that he imagined up. The women were instrumental in these situations during the war. They used their bodies as weapons. Yes it was the objectification of them, but within those circumstances, I wonder whether it was just the reality of it- you do what you have to do to win when there's a war. I don't think they consider the right or wrong of it, and some of the women did it for the money.
The main characters, at least, treated these women with the utmost respect.
Depending on which side you are on, the women were strong, intelligent assets to the winning side, but manipulative, deceivers to the other 😝
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

abbiejoice wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 21:49 Though the women may be depicted as smart, there could still be an improvement in regard to their role and their character development. Women deserve more than stereotype roles, even if such roles seem to intend to show their strength or intelligence.
so true. I wish there was more character development and just some better ways to help them blend but still be spies.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I think Kater was trying to be both conscious of what little power women held in those times, for the most part, as well build up a storyline with strong women. We saw that the women were crafty and able, not falling short compared to their male counterparts but there was too little detail in their development and they seemed rather disposable and obviously not intrinsic to the plot. It's like the author abandoned them as the novel progressed.
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

I think it empowered more women to portay such valuable characters.. They are pretty good there
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Ever_Reading wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:15 I am glad you brought this up. I didn't like how women were generally portrayed in the book. In my opinion, most of the female spies were easily disposable. Out of all of them, Yasmina was the most well-developed. I couldn't tell the rest apart from one another. It felt like they were simply included to benefit and help Jamie, Jacko and the other lead male characters.

While they came across as smart, it was clear their looks and bodies did most of the work for them. They were effective in their roles but I wish more work could have been done to make their personalities shine through.
I second your thoughts. I had the same feeling that the women characters should have been more intelligently developed.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I have mixed thoughts about this one. I mean, yay to girl power, but I feel like their professions made them too susceptible to suspicions. And they report to the guys in broad daylight! Come on.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I also did not particularly like how women were perceived. They were portrayed as disposable and deceitful, and were not major characters but foils.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

The author developed this storyline (women characters as spies) impeccably. One will admire these ladies' wits.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I think that there are two sides to this. For the villain's side, women were portrayed as beautiful, brave, strong, and intelligent because they were directly. That is, they get paid for being spies. On other hand those who worked as prostitutes but provided information were portrayed as manipulative and deceitful. That is because they were indirectly involved.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”